The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2010

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2010

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Runtu wrote:
All in all, 2010 was a terrific year in the world of Mopologetics. I can hardly wait for 2011. Happy holidays to all, and here's to another year of Mopologetic defeats!

Defeats are in the eye of the beholder. Apologetics is about maintaining some semblance of plausibility. I don't see any major defeats in that effort this year.

Well, then, Runtu: I would encourage you to look more closely---with your spiritual eyes.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Simon Belmont

Post by _Simon Belmont »

Runtu wrote:That site affected me directly. It seemed like just a testimony site until I read Blake Ostler's essay. In all honesty it made me sick to my stomach, as I saw the same kinds of awful rationalizations I had once made as a believer. In a rash act, I posted a sarcastic top-ten list on RfM about it, which Dan promptly posted to MADB, and well, you know the rest of the story.

I found Blake Ostler's testimony to be beautiful and heartfelt. What is wrong with it?
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Simon Belmont wrote:I found Blake Ostler's testimony to be beautiful and heartfelt. What is wrong with it?

As I said, it reminded me of how I used to justify the unjustifiable. Heartfelt? Most definitely. Beautiful? Not to me.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

People will say what they want about Scratch, but they have to admit: he's extremely entertaining and a fabulous writer.

Good stuff, Scratch!
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Garbo
_Emeritus

Post by _Garbo »

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've done some searching, but I still can't quite make sense of what the whole thing is about.

Who is Rodney Meldrum?

Also, I found and watched William Schryver's presentation (or at least most of it, I got distracted at times). I guess I'll have to learn a lot more about what the issues are in order to get what he was talking about. I do admit that his presentation was impressive in terms of its production, and he speaks really well. But I don't know enough about the controversy to understand the significance of what he had to say. Why does it matter if these Kirtland documents come before or after the Book of Abraham? And why would they be making some kind of secret code about all of it?
"You don't have to be married to have a good friend as your partner for life."
(Greta Garbo)
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Garbo wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've done some searching, but I still can't quite make sense of what the whole thing is about.

Who is Rodney Meldrum?

Hi, Garbo.

Rodney Meldrum is the de facto leader of an organization called "FIRM." Meldrum teaches people traditional LDS doctrine and he leads tours through the purported sites of scenes from the Book of Mormon. The FAIR/FARMS apologists absolutely hate him and have targeted him for numerous character assassinations and smear campaigns due to the fact that he disagrees with their theories on the Book of Mormon taking place in meso-America. Meldrum claims to have received spiritual guidance for his endeavors, and that has angered the apologists, too, since they believe that the intellect is greater than the Mantle.

Also, I found and watched William Schryver's presentation (or at least most of it, I got distracted at times). I guess I'll have to learn a lot more about what the issues are in order to get what he was talking about. I do admit that his presentation was impressive in terms of its production, and he speaks really well. But I don't know enough about the controversy to understand the significance of what he had to say. Why does it matter if these Kirtland documents come before or after the Book of Abraham?

The apologists want people to believe that the KEP documents came *after* because they don't want to believe that the KEP are evidence of a (false) translation. The KEP seem to show (to non-TBMs, that is) that Joseph Smith was really, truly, sincerely trying to translate the Egyptian papyri, which would mean that, in this case, he was a false prophet. The apologists really, really don't want to accept that.

And why would they be making some kind of secret code about all of it?

That's a good question.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

I too look forward to this report Shades.

The Top Ten Fantasies of Scratch and the Voices in his Head, chosen by Scratch himself.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

The Nehor wrote:I too look forward to this report Shades.

The Top Ten Fantasies of Scratch and the Voices in his Head, chosen by Scratch himself.

You know, I envy you, The Nehor. I'm sure that these "voices" you speak of could never equal the sort of hallucinations, visions, and astral voyages you've entertained over the years.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

What an incredible top ten list! Once again, Doctor Scratch has brought us the most important summary of Mopologetic activity of the year and once again, I am humbled by his ability to surmise such a complex subject so lucidly.

The powers of Mopologetics are dwindling. As Doctor Scratch's summaries show, I think, the apex of apologetic power was sometime around the mid 90's, corresponding with the apex of the hypothetical FARMS mega-center, and has been dwindling ever since. This year, the apologists have been dealt several crushing blows, and I wonder if they can ever fully recover.

Isn't it possible that Oaks has caught wind of some of the crap going on there? I mean, there is really only one of two explanations here. Either the brethren are threatening MAD, or MAD has completely lost its bearings since DCP has left.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

The Nehor wrote:I too look forward to this report Shades.

Voices??

You are welcome to PM me, The Nehor -- do tell me all the little nasties going on in your head. I'd love to hear it. I'll keep it as our dirty secret. Try it, you'll like it.

Feel free to unload. Hit my PM box with a nasty.

Paul O