Will you burn at the 2nd Coming?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Re: Will you burn at the 2nd Coming?

Post by _AmyJo »

MetalSlasher wrote:I think there are some posters here who are deep down afraid or either burning at the 2nd coming or waiting in spirit prison for the Millennium to end.

There may be some who really believe that way. But truthfully, there are just as many who don't. Or just plain don't care.

To each their own. Let the dead bury its dead, and the living go on living.

I don't worry about the world coming to an end. I don't believe in that stuff anymore other than we have the ability to annihilate ourselves as a planet.

Carpe Diem. Life is for the living.

The end will take care of itself.

God will provide all things in its time. People have believed the world is coming to an end for as long as there's been a planet and civilization.

If God really wanted to end things he would've already. Life on planet Earth is far too interesting and evolving to end it. It will continue on just like it has for eons of time. Someday we may be prehistoric, but it does say in scripture that heavens and earths will fade away and there will be new ones to take their place. All one has to do is look up at the cosmos to see that truism staring back at us.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

AmyJo wrote: I know what I know what I know.

Perhaps you do, perhaps not; but for the rest of us my questions can be summed up rather briefly as

How can we know that you know?

And if you can't give us an answer to that, how are your posts more meaningful to the rest of us than the wind in the trees?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Religion is so arbitrary.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

Chap wrote:

Perhaps you do, perhaps not; but for the rest of us my questions can be summed up rather briefly as

And if you can't give us an answer to that, how are your posts more meaningful to the rest of us than the wind in the trees?

The question is whether you'll burn at the second coming.

I answered to the best of my ability.

You don't have to know that I know or whatever.

You'll find out when you die and cross over. That's how you'll know.

Just don't be in a hurry to get there, kay? On the other hand, one never knows in advance the timing of these things. So it's never to soon to pre-plan.

:lol:
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

DrW wrote:Chap happens to be a very polite and courteous individual (as most Brits I have known are wont to be).

I consider your statement to be silly, bordering on the offensive. You have no physical evidence whatsoever for your imaginary scenario. Your long narrative signifies about as much in the real world as my question upthread about Gnarfling the Garthok.

While you certainly have the right to express such nonsense here, I have the right to call it out for what it is.

AmyJo wrote:
Since we are discussing beliefs here, I no more need to prove my beliefs than you need to prove yours.

And that is the whole point, I can prove my beliefs. My beliefs are based on science and reproducible physical evidence. Anyone who questions my beliefs can check the evidence for themselves.
AmyJo wrote:If you can't politely discuss what you believe and respect the right of others to have different beliefs from yours, then kindly refrain yourself from topics such as are you going to burn at the 2nd coming.

Obviously it is a rhetorical question, looking for theological differences, not solid scientific evidence.

In other words, if I don't agree with your unsupportable nonsense, I should refrain from participation in the discussions. Sound about right?
AmyJo wrote:But what I believe is real to me. And whether you believe it or not won't make any difference to me one way or the other.

The same can be said for the unfounded beliefs of the Islamic fundamentalists I mentioned upthread. You and they are choosing to live lives of religious make believe.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:Yes, if there is such an event I will burn. But I'm not losing any sleep over it.

More or less this. If the sentence is a mad lib, and was originally written:

"Will you (fill in a word that describes what will happen to an unbeliever in a deity associated with an apocalyptic event) at the (insert apocalyptic event associated with the same deity)?"

...then sure. If the apocalyptic event occurs I suppose I'll be one of the unbelievers.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Chap wrote:

AmyJo wrote:
The question is whether you'll burn at the second coming.

So you did, so you did.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

MetalSlasher wrote:Yes or no?

Yes, since I am now living in the Arizona desert during the age of Global Warming. The summers are going to get very hot here.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Since we have been waiting for the second coming for nearly two thousand years now (they have been saying it's just around the corner for that long), I'm guessing (at my age) that I will be long gone before that happens.

Do we burn post-mortem?
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Chap wrote:Perhaps you do, perhaps not; but for the rest of us my questions can be summed up rather briefly as

AmyJo wrote:The question is whether you'll burn at the second coming.

Chap wrote:So you did, so you did.

Well played, sir.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."