A thread dedicated to A.I. debating the decline of Mormonism.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: A thread dedicated to A.I. debating the decline of Mormonism.

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Dr. Moore,

Google's A.I. "Bard" will be available to the public soon. It appears that Google's Bard will have access to much more data than ChatGPT and it has been reported that Bard generated text and answers with such skill that a company engineer last year called it sentient.

It will be interesting to see how Google's A.I. compares to ChatGPT on various Mormon related topics.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/explaine ... 22099.html
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

It is important to understand what GPT (generative pre-trained transformer) A.I. bots do.

They are not sentient. They do not have opinions.

They are trained to take a text prompt and then create a response that most closely matches, or scores, in relation to the prompt. This is done iteratively, not a one shot creation process. We don't see the process, just the outcome.

One upshot is, if you ask ChatGPT to tell you 3 reasons why you should join Mormonism, it will give you 3 reasons. If you ask it to tell you 3 reasons why you should not join Mormonism, it will give you 3 reasons. If you ask for its opinion on Mormonism, generally you should expect a somewhat balanced list of plusses and minuses, couched in some safety language.

If you ask ChatGPT why you should stop brushing your teeth, or remove your toenails, well that will trigger certain pre-trained protocols and the response won't be balanced anymore.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

This version of the Brigham Young Campus is based on the supposition that apologetics served as the weekly Family Home Evening Activity and everyone pledged to the John Gee explanation for the Book of Abraham.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace