Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Church Historian Admits “Compelling Evidence to Doubt” Mormonism

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:01 am
I enjoyed the story of Jane Elizabeth Manning James.

Request not granted. You, woman, have a flat nose and black skin and are a daughter from the lineage of Cain. You must bare the curse.

John Taylor
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

MG 2.0 wrote:

Brainwashing? Only if you think that his admonition to gain your own testimony of Christ is manipulative. The onus is completely on us to follow through and work on developing a faith/testimony of/in Christ and His Gospel.
Mg, this sounds so weird to me. I do not remember such instruction in the New Testament. I remember in Mormonism at least some memory of the understanding that faith is a gift from God not some tower you labor to create for yourself.

Testify until you have a testimony, how phony can you get?
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

The weepy crying face of Mckay at the end of the talk made feel like puking. I find it disgusting that Mormons use emotional tears in order to push their agenda of fear and punishment against all those who reject the message. Sick! Sick! Sick!

President Nelson is a ring-leader in maintaining the evil system of Mormon brainwashing. I personally will rejoice at his passing. I don't like him and he better not ever come near me. He makes me sick.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:35 pm
“compelling evidence to doubt” Mormonism.
consiggy,

Just think how much money you would have saved and how much more you would have today if you had only doubted earlier and acted on those doubts rather than doubt them.

I hate to rub it in but is sure was an expensive mistake on your part!

:lol:

Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:32 pm
It’s worth it. Less than a half hour of your time.

Just think about how much money you've lost due to all that tithing money you've paid through obedience to man-made rules. The bottom line is your balance sheet looks less attractive and you'll have to go without and sacrifice while that 100 billion continues to grow for the Church.

It sucks to be you!

:cry:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“DP” wrote: BS: "If you look at the participants of the Peterson Obsession Board, most of them were apologists before losing their faith."
There are a few of them who could be so classified (about which I'll say nothing further) but, otherwise, I don't think your claim is true.
Uh oh. Billy shears hit a nerve with Dan.

Apparently the prominent former FAIR members and other former apologists who are now frequent posters here are a sore point.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:25 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:55 am
It's a good thing that Boyd K. Packer isn't around to chastise the Church historian. That would have been an awkward conversation.

I imagine Boyd Packer would congratulate him on his fine talk. It avoided discussing any possible unhelpful information. Instead people should focus only building their belief and not wavering.
Yes, I’m sure BKP would congratulate him for his fine talk. Especially the part where he publicly states there is compelling evidence to doubt Mormonism. BKP would have loved that.😅😂
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:17 am
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:25 pm

I imagine Boyd Packer would congratulate him on his fine talk. It avoided discussing any possible unhelpful information. Instead people should focus only building their belief and not wavering.
Yes, I’m sure BKP would congratulate him for his fine talk. Especially the part where he publicly states there is compelling evidence to doubt Mormonism. BKP would have loved that.😅😂
Everybody Wang Chung,
perhaps I missed what you are speaking about. What was this compelling evidence to doubt which was discussing in this address? I did not even hear the word compelling. I heard , we all encounter reasons to doubt, hold fast to your foundation of faith. Sounded, to me at least, as awfully close to that not all historical facts are helpful facts view which I think BKP made famous.

look, I do not actually mind if you see the admission of the existence of reasons to doubt as a jolt to Mormon insulation. It perhaps registered to your mind differently than to mine. I heard a deflection turning all attention away from any possible reason to doubt. Then he went ahead and talked about leaders might make mistakes, another deflection. We likely both see the deflection and want to put attention back on the thing the speaker is asking his audience to ignore.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:51 am
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:17 am

Everybody Wang Chung,
perhaps I missed what you are speaking about. What was this compelling evidence to doubt which was discussing in this address? I did not even hear the word compelling. I heard , we all encounter reasons to doubt, hold fast to your foundation of faith. Sounded, to me at least, as awfully close to that not all historical facts are helpful facts view which I think BKP made famous.

look, I do not actually mind if you see the admission of the existence of reasons to doubt as a jolt to Mormon insulation. It perhaps registered to your mind differently than to mine. I heard a deflection turning all attention away from any possible reason to doubt. Then he went ahead and talked about leaders might make mistakes, another deflection. We likely both see the deflection and want to put attention back on the thing the speaker is asking his audience to ignore.
Did we watch the same devotional? What in the world are you rambling on about?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MG 2.0 wrote:
I enjoyed the story of Jane Elizabeth Manning James.
She was able to be sealed as a servant for all eternity to Joseph Smith, although that is not what she requested. Doesn't that seem worse than the TK-Smoothie theology of the former Mormon Church? Would you remain a member of the Church if you were consigned to clean the toilets and change the nappies on the spirit babies forever?
drumdude wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:10 pm
Apparently the prominent former FAIR members and other former apologists who are now frequent posters here are a sore point.
I once mentioned that I too was an apologist because of my ability to make up stories, however, TruthDancer and Blixa told me that was insufficient. Perhaps I was lacking the earnestness to deceive.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace