Midgley Announces an Essay on “the silly and disgusting things” that BYU Admin Did to John Gee

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Midgley Announces an Essay on “the silly and disgusting things” that BYU Admin Did to John Gee

Post by huckelberry »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:57 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:49 am
I am flattered you used my Kerrycature....
You are truly talented, Kerry. I love how you drew Midgley's raised pinky because he is so hoity-toity.

PS Kerry, rumor has it that DCP wasn't too thrilled of his Kerrycature. Care to comment?
Hey Shirts, those Kerrycatures are first rate. Glad to see them.
Tom
Regional Representative

Re: Midgley Announces an Essay on “the silly and disgusting things” that BYU Admin Did to John Gee

Post by Tom »

Will today be the day in which Dr. Midgley’s review appears? If not, I hope that we’ll see the 55th Interpreter article by Matthew Bowen on wordplay in the scriptures.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:47 pm
Will today be the day in which Dr. Midgley’s review appears? If not, I hope that we’ll see the 55th Interpreter article by Matthew Bowen on wordplay in the scriptures.
Well, this is amusing: an article by Matthew Bowen on wordplay in JST Genesis 50 has been posted on the Interpreter website: https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... -25-33-35/

I don’t see Dr. Midgley’s review. I certainly hope it hasn’t been suppressed.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:39 pm
Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:47 pm
Well, this is amusing: an article by Matthew Bowen on wordplay in JST Genesis 50 has been posted on the Interpreter website: https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... -25-33-35/

A subtle message sent to Tom that the Stasi SCMC and one of its operatives (Meryl, who else?) is watching, waiting for him to slip up?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Midgley will never be published by Interpreter again. That's my prediction.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:27 pm
Midgley will never be published by Interpreter again. That's my prediction.
I have a faint recollection that Dr. Midgley recently claimed that he was about to publish something about his first mission. Now I have to wonder whether A. Wyatt dropped that piece and the Gee book review into the trash can.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:20 pm
Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:39 pm

A subtle message sent to Tom that the Stasi SCMC and one of its operatives (Meryl, who else?) is watching, waiting for him to slip up?

- Doc
That’s possible. Does the SCMC get information from others? John Lynch’s comments during an interview in 2015 about FAIR’s relationship with the church come to mind:
Interviewer: Does the Church ever ask for your help on anything?

Lynch: There have been times when they have asked us specifically about movements or about individuals and what we know about their activity online, that sort of thing. And, of course, when we’re aware of it, we’ll share information, as appropriate.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Tom wrote:I have a faint recollection that Dr. Midgley recently claimed that he was about to publish something about his first mission. Now I have to wonder whether A. Wyatt dropped that piece and the Gee book review into the trash can.
Suppose that this is exactly what happened. The President could reverse the decision and get the work published. Midgley may wonder if he's been forsaken after all these years of loyalty.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:50 pm
Tom wrote:I have a faint recollection that Dr. Midgley recently claimed that he was about to publish something about his first mission. Now I have to wonder whether A. Wyatt dropped that piece and the Gee book review into the trash can.
Suppose that this is exactly what happened. The President could reverse the decision and get the work published. Midgley may wonder if he's been forsaken after all these years of loyalty.
All this intrigue will make for some very interesting reading when Dr. Shades finishes his biography, Louis C. Midgley: The Salt Lake Stalker.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:50 pm
I agree. I think that Midgley has essentially been "put out to pasture," and that the Mopologists-in-Charge no longer view him as someone who can contribute in a serious way to their projects. I think that DCP et al. probably viewed that sad, typo-ridden "festschrift" as a sort of "formal farewell" to Midgley, and that the decision had been made at that point to basically discard him. I think they view him as a useless old codger. They are welcome to dispel these sorts of speculation by publishing one or more of these articles that he keeps alluding to, but, as the saying goes, we will see.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14