I'm forced to say it's 'remarkable'

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Analytics
Elder

Re: I'm forced to say it's 'remarkable'

Post by Analytics »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:55 am
Gadianton wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:04 pm
Did Midgley trash a developed draft because he realized Gee was without defense, because Interpreter rejected, or for other reasons?
Even if Dr. Midgley is a dear friend, why would Dr. Peterson risk another "Joseph Smith Papers being called onto the carpet moment" (especially during the travel season) just so Midgley could display his uncontrolled rage? The BYU Religious Studies Center takes precedence over the Interpreter Foundation in the unwritten order of Church life.
My impression is that it's all about loyalty. Three years ago when the book seemed like it might be relevant, Midgley volunteered to write the review and out of loyalty to his friend, Peterson patronizingly let him write it, as one last hurrah. For whatever reason it took Midgley years to get this thing into its final form, such as it is. It was an open loop for Midgley all these years--a nagging task left undone. When it was finally done Peterson could have said, "Look. That book is embarrassing and irrelevant, and your review is sub par, even for this journal. Let's just let the world forget about it." But out of honor and deference to his friend, Peterson decided to publish it, giving his friend the glory of what might be his final peer reviewed academic publication.

Meanwhile, in the review Midgley said glowing things about his loyal friend Gee, and stuck it to BYU--the disloyal institution that had kicked out Peterson and pulled Gee's book.