Sput's new MAD thread

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

moksha wrote:Obviously he is not fourteen. So what well thought out ideas or at least jucy bits of information are coming out of this thread? Any good quotes?

It's the same thread as the one Liz started where Juliann posts private messages, so some of the more juicy stuff is there. The threads probably getting up to 8 or 10 pages if its still going. I probably should give it a read.

http://www.mormondiscussions.com/discus ... .php?t=907
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Here is my favorite so far, from selek:

Keep crying, Beastie- as though your own bad behavior hasn't isolated you as much as our "hostility." Personally, I'm both surprised and glad you haven't been banned yet- perhaps the mods are keeping you around as a sterling example of how inept and impotent the anti's really are. You know- a museum piece akin to the stone tools used by paleolithic man- and about as relevent.

Your endless attempts to twist words and meanings, to sidestep a straight answer, or avoid the consequences of your own words might yet earn you a spot on the US gymnastics team- although your snarky attack on Sput's age indicates that you might not be able to keep up with the "young whipper-snappers" currently on the team.

Why is it that I can easily visualize a Pac-man style video game in which Sput and Juliann chase Beastie through an empty maze trying to corner her for a straight answer?

I'm the one who doesn't give a straight answer? I'm the one demonstrating bad behavior?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

beastie wrote:Here is my favorite so far, from selek:

Keep crying, Beastie- as though your own bad behavior hasn't isolated you as much as our "hostility." Personally, I'm both surprised and glad you haven't been banned yet- perhaps the mods are keeping you around as a sterling example of how inept and impotent the anti's really are. You know- a museum piece akin to the stone tools used by paleolithic man- and about as relevent.

Your endless attempts to twist words and meanings, to sidestep a straight answer, or avoid the consequences of your own words might yet earn you a spot on the US gymnastics team- although your snarky attack on Sput's age indicates that you might not be able to keep up with the "young whipper-snappers" currently on the team.

Why is it that I can easily visualize a Pac-man style video game in which Sput and Juliann chase Beastie through an empty maze trying to corner her for a straight answer?

I'm the one who doesn't give a straight answer? I'm the one demonstrating bad behavior?

Does this poster realize that Sput is quoting out of context in order to distort?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

moksha wrote:Obviously he is not fourteen. So what well thought out ideas or at least jucy bits of information are coming out of this thread? Any good quotes?

I don't know, Moksha...seems like it's mostly just the same old posturing and chest pounding. Everyone piles on Beastie and no one bothers to try and give serious consideration before trying to counter her remarks. I wish I could see a little more substance and less bluster.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

What do you think, Alter Idem? Was there a good reason to reopen that thread?

If that came about after some long and serious discussion between the moderators (including the seniors like Oreos and Dunamis) then I guess the decision makers of the board have decided to take it in a very different direction. Something like "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Hopefully they will at least see the sense of separating the good discussions into one folder and the lame stuff (rants, personal attacks, and board wars) into another.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Once again, I am voluntarily leaving the MAD community, before they drive me MAD. There is absolutely no reason to subject myself to this nonsense. in my opinion, Juliann and her posting style represented the worst of ZLMB, and it appears that this style is going to dominate MAD. There are still topics I care about, for example, when misrepresentations are made about ancient Mesoamerica in the attempt to support the historicity of the Book of Mormon, but, in the end, I don't care enough to tolerate that environment.

There were a couple of real attempts to answer my question: why wasn't Z good enough? Cal mentioned that the balance of critics turned to atheist/agnostic, and the believers didn't find that to their liking in general. I heard that as a reason on Z, as well.

I guess the reasons don't matter. They're not denying, on the thread, that the moderating is biased towards LDS, by the way. Perhaps they need that extra moderating to protect them from Satan's minions.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Jersey Girl wrote:Does this poster realize that Sput is quoting out of context in order to distort?

Jersey Girl

To some members on MADB, if a person is a critic, they are automatically viewed as an enemy and treated as such. Whether or not her comments were taken out of context won't matter. I suspect some of the more hostile types there would argue that Beastie was getting a taste of her own medicine (whether or not this is true also won't matter, that's how they see it).
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Alter Idem wrote:To some members on MADB, if a person is a critic, they are automatically viewed as an enemy and treated as such. Whether or not her comments were taken out of context won't matter. I suspect some of the more hostile types there would argue that Beastie was getting a taste of her own medicine (whether or not this is true also won't matter, that's how they see it).

Alter,

I wasn't talking about beastie's comments here being taken out of context. Mine were.

Jersey Girl
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

To some members on MADB, if a person is a critic, they are automatically viewed as an enemy and treated as such. Whether or not her comments were taken out of context won't matter. I suspect some of the more hostile types there would argue that Beastie was getting a taste of her own medicine (whether or not this is true also won't matter, that's how they see it).

This reality prompted my "loss of innocence" post. I will try to remember, as some reminded me there, that these more vocal extremists represent a minority, but when the board is at least partly run by some of these extremists, it sets a tone for the whole place.

Moreover, it blew my mind how some of these posters could read the same words I was reading and interpret it in such an entirely different fashion. The Olmec thread was a good demonstration of that. It's like we're speaking a different language. Now someone - either Juliann and her cohorts on that thread - or I and mine - was reading words and making them mean something completely different in their mind than they meant. Bias is that powerful of an instrument on our brains that it can result in such dramatic alterations... that is kind of scary.

Penn & Teller

_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

The Dude wrote:What do you think, Alter Idem? Was there a good reason to reopen that thread?

If that came about after some long and serious discussion between the moderators (including the seniors like Oreos and Dunamis) then I guess the decision makers of the board have decided to take it in a very different direction. Something like "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Hopefully they will at least see the sense of separating the good discussions into one folder and the lame stuff (rants, personal attacks, and board wars) into another.

I thought there was this morning. I was hoping maybe there would be some honest dialogue. Maybe some of the hurts could be healed through frank discussion. But now it's clear that isn't going to happen. I'm not sure the most vocal ones are capable or even interested in healing-or forgiveness.

You are right, the board is moving in a direction different from FAIR. At FAIR all "unpleasantness" was removed or suppressed. I didn't think that was the right way to handle it, but discussing it is only valuable if posters listen to eachother and not just want to win the argument. Sometimes I question why I remain on that board...but then I go back. I used to watch soap operas and gave them up some 15 years ago. Sometimes, I think I feel that I've returned to my soap opera habit..only this time they are the cyber type.