Forget Meldrum, FARMS and the Watson Letter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Re: Forget Meldrum, FARMS and the Watson Letter

Post by _Yoda »

Whatever, Shades. They were simply acting out because of your attempt to limit the amount of smilies, etc.

Honestly...I think that if you allowed the smilies, no hold barred....You would probably see a lot of smilies for the first couple of weeks...while everyone was getting used to them...and then it would die down to folks using them pretty sparingly.

You and I have had this argument before. I understand your viewpoint...but really...emoticons are simply an Internet form of facial expressions. Even the most articulate people can be misunderstood. Sometimes facial expressions convey things that words simply can't.

For someone who promotes free speech and abhors censorship, I just really don't understand your hard-line stance on this.
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

That WAS another try.

What ever happened to mercy and forgiving 70 times 7? Do you not believe in mercy?

Paul O
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

What does smilies have to do with the OP?
I think it would be morally right to lie about your religion to edit the article favorably.
bcspace
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
liz3564 wrote:So....we all have to continue to be punished for one person's folly? I'm sorry, Shades, but I don't think that is right.

ONE person's folly?

viewtopic.php?p=270469#p270469

That incident happened months ago. I would really like to see it given another try.

That WAS another try.

Shades honey, hunk to the extreme, oh grammar nazi extraordinare, god I hate kissing your ass, it doesn't even feel funny when I'm trying to be funny and I was, but I'm just not feelin' it, ya know?

Having said that.

I looked at the links above and they aren't random overuse of smilies. They are people mocking you for being a tight ass about smilies. Like when KA called for a smilie wearing shades with a stick up it's butt.

I'm just tellin' ya straight up.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

liz3564 wrote:Whatever, Shades. They were simply acting out because of your attempt to limit the amount of smilies, etc.

"Acting out" is precisely what I'm trying to avoid.

Honestly...I think that if you allowed the smilies, no hold barred....You would probably see a lot of smilies for the first couple of weeks...while everyone was getting used to them...and then it would die down to folks using them pretty sparingly.

Sort of like how the people at MA&D use them "pretty sparingly?"
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Acting out" is precisely what I'm trying to avoid.

Yes, but you see, when you act like an authoritarian dictator, it only makes people rebel.

You know what, when I was a kid in high school, we had this teacher named Mrs. Leiking. She was so pretty, blonde, hair done nice, great clothes, and tried her darndest to tame a bunch of Jersey kids. She presented herself as an authority figure and that would have gone over well if it weren't for the hickey's on her neck every now and then, which earned her the nick name of "Mrs. Lay King" and motivated her students (not me of course) to construct humongous paper airplanes made out of poster board (or large pieces of construction paper) and once she started getting flustered, some Jersey boy would launch one from the back row of seats and well, lets just say that more than once, she stomped out of the classroom in tears.

You are like Mrs. Lay King, Shades. You want to feel in control of this place and in doing so you neglect to acknowledge the hickey's on your own neck.

Well, that was fun, wasn't it?

;-)

In memory of Mrs. Lay King:
Chinese Proverb
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:You want to feel in control of this place and in doing so you neglect to acknowledge the hickey's on your own neck.

I try to ignore the hickeys on my neck, but you keep giving them to me!
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:You want to feel in control of this place and in doing so you neglect to acknowledge the hickey's on your own neck.

Disabling smilies =/= feeling in control of this place.

Would it be asking too much for you to type out words?

Are you saying that disabling smilies does NOT equal feeling in control of this place?

Of course it does. Good grief.
Chinese Proverb
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Shades wrote:Sort of like how the people at MA&D use them "pretty sparingly?"

Are you saying that the people at MDB are just like the people at MAD?
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:Are you saying that disabling smilies does NOT equal feeling in control of this place?

Yes.

Are you saying that the people at MDB are just like the people at MAD?

Experience has shown that yes, when it comes to smilie use, people at MDB are just like the people at MAD.

--Louis Midgley