Skousen's Introduction to Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: Skousen's Introduction to Book of Mormon

Post by _grindael »

This thread is just Mental flatulating his own wishful thinking. Notice in the intro that Skousen doesn't mention HOW Smith produced the Book of Mormon. By claiming to read glowing letters on a peepstone.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

grindael wrote:This thread is just Mental flatulating his own wishful thinking. Notice in the intro that Skousen doesn't mention HOW Smith produced the Book of Mormon. By claiming to read glowing letters on a peepstone.

Crickets and deflection in response my question(s).

Come on. It REALLY shouldn't be that hard. It is rather a simple request.

MG
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Maksutov wrote:
So you're too lazy to do any reading yourself. But we're supposed to read every insipid Mopologist that you think worthy of note. No.

Crickets. Deflection.

MG

Lazy. And lying. You've been responded to.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Maksutov wrote:You've been responded to.

Nope.

Regards,
MG
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

mentalgymnast wrote:I have a question. Could you point me towards any books written by academics that would cause me to consider the writings of these men to be in any way comparable to the Book of Mormon? Say, someone along the line of a Terryl Givens or a Grant Hardy? I would be interested in reading any books that you could recommend that would show that the complexity/narrative of those 'holy writings' are in the same class as the Book of Mormon.

Regards,
MG

Asked and answered. :wink:
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

mentalgymnast wrote:I have a question. Could you point me towards any books written by academics that would cause me to consider the writings of these men to be in any way comparable to the Book of Mormon? Say, someone along the line of a Terryl Givens or a Grant Hardy? I would be interested in reading any books that you could recommend that would show that the complexity/narrative of those 'holy writings' are in the same class as the Book of Mormon.

Regards,
MG

Here we go...

Oh brother, a real academic isn't going to bother evaluating the "class" that various religious texts belong in. Doing such a thing would be similar to a real academic writing about whether the tooth fairy or the Easter bunny travel at comparable speeds. It makes no sense for anyone to opine on that and they have no objective basis on which to do so on texts that are obviously false on fist look.

And do you *seriously* not see that you are engaging in textbook special pleading here?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

mentalgymnast wrote:This thread was started by me. I've asked a question that I would like to have answered. I will be HAPPY to go another direction when and after I am not hearing crickets in response to the question(s) I've asked.

So put this one on hold...we can come back to it. OK?

I open to your contribution to the question I'm asking of others. I think I've asked it in a couple of different forms/ways so far. Take a stab at it?

Regards,
MG

It's not another direction. It is your own argument mirrored back on you from the point of view of a Muslim.

I await your response that will surely be another exercise in special pleading.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Could you point me towards any books written by academics that would cause me to consider the writings of these men to be in any way comparable to the Book of Mormon? Say, someone along the line of a Terryl Givens or a Grant Hardy?

This is a stupid question. No one would write such a book. The Book of Mormon is too ridiculous for any credible academic to waste time on, except for Mormons.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

fetchface wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:This thread was started by me. I've asked a question that I would like to have answered. I will be HAPPY to go another direction when and after I am not hearing crickets in response to the question(s) I've asked.

So put this one on hold...we can come back to it. OK?

I open to your contribution to the question I'm asking of others. I think I've asked it in a couple of different forms/ways so far. Take a stab at it?

Regards,
MG

It's not another direction. It is your own argument mirrored back on you from the point of view of a Muslim.

I await your response that will surely be another exercise in special pleading.

It will not be the response that he likes, therefore it will not be recognized.

All Royal Skousen needs to do is convince Philip Jenkins. Good luck.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/anxiousben ... revisited/
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

I remember church leaders on many occasions getting on members for not reading the Book of Mormon. Funny that Joseph Smith didn't focus on it after he supposedly translated it. No one had to do that with LOTR. LOTR has a bigger fan base, and one can even see a bit of a religious following by some. People have actually learned Elven. What if Tolkien has tried to present it as fact and get a religious following like Joseph Smith or L Ron Hubbard. I can't help but think there might be 10's of millions of people who can speak elven. :eek: