BYU grad general resigns over "swinging"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Re: BYU grad general resigns over "swinging"

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

madeleine wrote:Except the Law is fulfilled in Jesus Christ, he being the new covenant and all.

Didn't know that Jesus fulfilled Roman martial law. That's one groovy covenant.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/299783?seq ... b_contents
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
madeleine wrote:Except the Law is fulfilled in Jesus Christ, he being the new covenant and all.

Didn't know that Jesus fulfilled Roman martial law. That's one groovy covenant.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/299783?seq ... b_contents

:lol: I said Law, intending to connote the Law as found in the Old Testament, including Leviticus.

St. Paul lays it out quite well in his letter to Roman Christians.
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

I can't help it. Mansplaining reminds me of Lucy and Ricky...am I old or what? :rolleyes:
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

madeleine wrote: :lol: I said Law, intending to connote the Law as found in the Old Testament, including Leviticus.

St. Paul lays it out quite well in his letter to Roman Christians.

Hey, don't go raining on my petulant parade. :wink:

As a side note, I should have mentioned that an alternate interpretation of Jesus' reference to Roman law ("go one mile," and all that jazz) might have been about sparing someone else the task. Kind of a mixed bag on interpreting what he meant, although I think when juxtaposed with the implications of the Jewish laws also referenced, a civil disobedience reading is more apt.

But, I also sometimes prefer Pepsi over Coke, so my opinions aren't necessarily all that reliable.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Thinking of the late great Bing Crosby...

Would you like to swing with gold stars
Carry lovers home from the bar
And be better off than you are
Or would you rather be LDSfaqs?

Remember kids, to treasure your time at West Point!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

moksha wrote:Thinking of the late great Bing Crosby...

Would you like to swing with gold stars
Carry lovers home from the bar
And be better off than you are
Or would you rather be LDSfaqs?

Remember kids, to treasure your time at West Point!

A faqs is an animal with dirt on his face
His shoes are a terrible disgrace
He ain't got no manners when he eats his food
He's fat and lazy - and extremely rude

But if you don't care a feather or a tack
You may grow up to be a faqs

Apologies to our penguin.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Rino ~ Are you for real? Three people have messaged me in private asking me if I know who you are and why you have it in for me.

First you're all like...

Rino wrote:But I suspect you were proud, likely are still suffering psychological trauma, depression, anxiety, and a whole slew of other negative emotions that take a lot of time to process and work through. You needed that feeling, that pride, because the past year was a disaster? Because you did feel so low the year prior? [SNIP] You're angry, unsettled, and lashing out.

And now you're like...

Anyhow, divorce is always tough, even for those of us for whom it made our lives better and set us free. I have nothing but sympathy and compassion for everyone who goes through it (well, maybe not for the people who caused it by breaking their marriages with adultery).

Not sure which of our posters have suffered from poor mental health, weight control difficulties, and WoW addictions (or why you're bringing it up), but I wish them all of the best.

Rino wrote:I will raise a glass of Lagavulin 16 and wish you "Slainte Mhath"

And I raise a Mormon theology margarita to you not posting in this thread anymore. Todah!

"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

MsJack wrote:Rino ~ Are you for real? Three people have messaged me in private asking me if I know who you are and why you have it in for me.

And I raise a Mormon theology margarita to you not posting in this thread anymore. Todah!

Now you're lording it over alcoholics and people who are allergic to Mexican cuisine. ;)

That is a lovely picture, MsJack, and you should be proud of yourself for your accomplishments, no matter the comments from a random Internet denizen who is clearly obsessed with you.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_NorthboundZax
_Emeritus

Post by _NorthboundZax »

MsJack wrote:Infidelity is abuse ...

MsJack, could you flesh this out for me? It is easy to see how infidelity is an abuse of trust, but it sounds like what you are saying goes beyond that - and I'm not sure where.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Thanks, Runtu.

NorthboundZax wrote:MsJack, could you flesh this out for me? It is easy to see how infidelity is an abuse of trust, but it sounds like what you are saying goes beyond that - and I'm not sure where.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tracy-sch ... 65096.html
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter