Here Comes The Book of Abraham Part I, II, III

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Here Comes The Book of Abraham Part I

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Shulem wrote: Fence Sitter started two sentences with "so" in a single paragraph on page 1 of this thread. So, is he brain damaged too?

So, if multiple uses of "so" means brain damage, what does hundreds, yea even thousands of uses of "It came to pass" mean?

So, brain death I suppose.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

So, I think the evidence is so so that using so means brain damaged. But, it is an apologetic technique, ignore the evidence and so go for the personal attack so one does not have to deal with so much against their so-called truths. So, I think the verdict is so clear that apologists are so scared that they so wish everyone would just simply believe so their lives could become so much simpler. It's so obvious.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Paul,

Here is an interesting tidbit regarding how contemporaries of Joseph Smith in Nauvoo viewed his ability to recognize and translate Egyptian and it involves the Kinderhook plates. This is from an 1843 letter from Parley and Orson Pratt to a John Van Cott.

We are all in good spirits as a people & rapidly increaseing in numbers I have no further news except that six plates having the appearance of Brass have lately been dug out of a mound by a gentleman in Pike Co. Illinois, they are small and filled with engravings in Egyptian language and contain the genealogy of one of the ancient Jaredites back to Ham the son of Noah his bones were found in the same vase (made of Cement) part of the bones had crumbled to dust & the other part were part preserved the bones were 15 ft. under ground. The gentlemen who found them were unconnected with this church but have brought them to Joseph Smith for examination & translation a large number of Citizens here have seen them and compared the characters with those on the Egyptian papyrus which is now in this city. I have no time for particulars but you will] hear more soon on this subject.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I am 100% positive that the Book of Abraham translation tendered by Joseph Smith was a complete fraud. Pious or otherwise, it was a fraud.

I am having feelings and thoughts that Brian M. Hauglid is coming to this same conclusion, although it has been slow in coming, the end result is conclusive.

How do I know this? Well, I don't. It's just a vibration and feeling I have that he's about had it with the Book of Abraham.

Brian?

:question:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Parley P Pratt wrote:they are small and filled with engravings in Egyptian language

I trust Parley Pratt is getting his information directly from Joseph Smith who is credited with translating Egyptian from both gold plates and papyrus. He's the authority in the church when it comes to translating Egyptian.

Parley P Pratt wrote:contain the genealogy of one of the ancient Jaredites back to Ham the son of Noah

There was only one man in the church who had the authority to make such a statement and that is President Joseph Smith. The man who made up the Book of Mormon and Book of Abraham was also making that up. Sounds just like more crap out of the mouth of the lying prophet, Joseph Smith. What comes around goes around in that he fooled others and was fooled himself.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Today's thought:

1. "The Book of Mormon;
an account written by the hand of Mormon
upon plates taken from the plates of Nephi"

Compare to:

2. The Book of Abraham;
an account written by the hand of Abraham
upon papyrus taken from the catacombs of Egypt

Gotcha!

:exclaim:
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

THE FIRST BOOK OF NEPHI, HIS REIGN AND MINISTRY
1 Nephi 1
[3] And I know that the record which I make is true; and I make it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.
[17] But I shall make an account of my proceedings in my days. Behold, I make an abridgment of the record of my father, upon plates which I have made with mine own hands; wherefore, after I have abridged the record of my father then will I make an account of mine own life.

2 Nephi 12
[8] Their land is also full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made.
THE BOOK OF OMNI
Omni 1
[9] Now I, Chemish, write what few things I write, in the same book with my brother; for behold, I saw the last which he wrote, that he wrote it with his own hand; and he wrote it in the day that he delivered them unto me. And after this manner we keep the records, for it is according to the commandments of our fathers. And I make an end.
THE BOOK OF MOSIAH

THIRD NEPHI THE BOOK OF NEPHI THE SON OF NEPHI, WHO WAS THE SON OF HELAMAN
3 Nephi 3
[5] Therefore I have written this epistle, sealing it with mine own hand, feeling for your welfare, because of your firmness in that which ye believe to be right, and your noble spirit in the field of battle.
3 Nephi 5
[11] And behold, I do make the record on plates which I have made with mine own hands.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

A clear pattern is established:

Nephi wrote:I make it with mine own hand . . . upon plates which I have made with mine own hands

Chemish wrote:I saw the last which he wrote, that he wrote it with his own hand

Giddianhi & Mormon wrote:sealing it with mine own hand . . . I have made with mine own hands

Abraham wrote:preserved in mine own hands . . . and I shall endeavor to write some of these things upon this record

Joseph Smith wrote:Image
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I'm working on Part II but cannot say when it will be done. I don't know whether I'll add it to the existing link of Part I or create a separate page. Suggestions? Input?

One thing is for sure, there are some big surprises coming down the pike and I will be showcasing important aspects of the Book of Abraham from points of view that have not been heretofore discussed. Even Kerry-baby is going to be blown away, lol. I want to blow you all away! I can feel the passion vibrating in me to get this job done and make huge waves, overpowering waves!

Apologists have a narrow way at looking at things. They are trapped in their testimony boxes and only see what they want to see and try and fit things in their testimony paradigm. That's where I come in! I'm going to blow the lids of powder kegs so you all enjoy fireworks. It's going to get really interesting! I just had another bloody revelation -- a big thought that I'd not thought before which surprises the hell out of me. Something about Abraham in Egypt and the records kept!

Stay tuned! Don't get left behind!
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

I prefer separate pages. It is easier for me to remember that I made it to part II than it is for me to remember where I am in the document when I am roughly halfway through something massive.

Of course, I have a full-time job and teenagers to drive everywhere when I get home so I end up not having time to read large posts in one sitting!
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/