John Dehlin: A Spy Story

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Re: John Dehlin: A Spy Story

Post by _ludwigm »

Ceeboo wrote:Anyway, just my take.

Peace,
Ceeboo
Plus my one.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Prester John wrote:
Ceeboo wrote:
Mormonism - I sometimes really really dislike it!

No, you just dislike the negative fairytale construct of it portrayed here by people like Kishkumen.

A guy gets a book from an angel and translates it with magic rocks. What could be a "fairytale construct" there?

And really, who the “F” do you think you are telling someone else what they like or understand? What a derp. :rolleyes:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Ceeboo wrote:Hey Prester! :smile:

Did you really just correct Ceeboo - about what Ceeboo dislikes - from a post authored by Ceeboo - who already told you what Ceeboo dislikes? Really?

You can add that to my list of dislikes! :smile:

And, since you used my post as your runway to launch your personal opinion about Kishkumen - I thought it fair if I returned the effort by sharing my personal opinion with you.

Like many people on this board, Kishkumen has an experience with Mormonism. His opinions about Mormonism are his. Similarly, your opinions about Mormonism are yours.
They need not be the same for each of them to be valid, worthy of discussion, and/or helpful for or to anyone who happens to read them on this board.

Personally (This is my opinion coming - please do not feel that you need to correct it later) I think Kish is a tremendous asset to this board. I think he often displays excellent balance, level headedness, fairness, and I think he brings deep and valuable thought to the great majority of his board contributions. This - in my opinion - can be a monumentally tough thing to do when the topic of discussion is Mormonism.

Anyway, just my take.

Peace,
Ceeboo

Thank you, Ceeboo.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

hagoth7 wrote:Yahoo Bot might be referring to the linked passage below, where Paul was apparently referring to those who troubled early Christians. Those causing the trouble were apparently agitating for Christians to submit to circumcision: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/New Testament/gal/5.12?lang=eng#11
If that is the case, then that is probably why he didn't cite the verses. It supports my argument that it would be a simpler matter to just kick someone out of the church than what they do right now. It seems that Paul and I agree.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:
I am so sorry that Dehlin had to go through that.

What happened with Quinn?

conflation. i do not agree with bot much. however, the conflation of spying and the dehlin's "autobiography" is problematic for real people, including quinn, in my opinion.

does spying exist? yes, it does. is that what applies to dehlin? jesus christ NO! spying on dehlin is about the funniest goddamn thing i have ever ever heard. google dehlin and the new york times. him claiming to be spied upon at church makes as much sense as kim kardashian claiming to be spied upon by the cameraman she informed of her location and dress size.

john was not spied on by his stake president, bishop, eqp and neighbors. those people were maligned, insulted and accused publicly by dehlin. they had every right to keep tabs on him through is public nonsense. no spying necessary. jesus christ for the conspiracy theories spun by dehlin. now clayton reorganized an entire stake to crucify dehlin? bwahahahahahaahaha. laughable. and this was just weeks or months removed from dehlin's love-nesting with holland? omfg, y'all are hysterical.

so a fellow creates a massive public circus and spectacle, uses a competing business name to start a competing business, and then claims his competitors are spying on him, all while he continues to operate a celebrity circus/business. mmmmmkay. mmmmmhhmmmm. okay. that be great logic there.

john dehlin - spygate victim. i think i have seen it all now. poor poor poor john. we should have a gofundme for his defense. cannot stop laughing.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_hagoth7
_Emeritus

Post by _hagoth7 »

Mayan Elephant wrote:...so a fellow creates a massive public circus and spectacle, uses a competing business name to start a competing business, and then claims his competitors are spying on him, all while he continues to operate a celebrity circus/business. mmmmmkay. mmmmmhhmmmm. okay. that be great logic there.

john dehlin - spygate victim. i think i have seen it all now....

Two thumbs up on this post.
Joseph Smith: "I don't blame any one for not believing my history. If I had not experienced what I have, I would not have believed it myself."
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/Book of Mormon/alm ... ang=eng#20
Red pill: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/New Testament/acts/ ... ang=eng#10
Blue pill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Thanks, to Ceeboo, Jesse, ludwig, and Maksutov. I feel honored by your high regard.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

ME,

What was your personal relationship with Mr. Dehlin again?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:ME,

What was your personal relationship with Mr. Dehlin again?

- Doc

Not related
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Mayan Elephant wrote:conflation. i do not agree with bot much. however, the conflation of spying and the dehlin's "autobiography" is problematic for real people, including quinn, in my opinion.

Hey, Mayan E:

I am not clear on what you are trying to say here. What do you mean by the conflation of spying and Dehlin's autobiography?

And, also, what do you mean when you say that whatever this is is a problem for Quinn too?

Mayan Elephant wrote:does spying exist? yes, it does.

Indeed it does.

Mayan Elephant wrote:is that what applies to dehlin? jesus christ NO! spying on dehlin is about the funniest goddamn thing i have ever ever heard. google dehlin and the new york times. him claiming to be spied upon at church makes as much sense as kim kardashian claiming to be spied upon by the cameraman she informed of her location and dress size.

So, it is your contention that celebrities cannot be spied upon, because... what? they have no privacy to violate?

I don't agree, but that certainly is a common prejudice.

Mayan Elephant wrote:john was not spied on by his stake president, bishop, eqp and neighbors. those people were maligned, insulted and accused publicly by dehlin. they had every right to keep tabs on him through is public nonsense.

I would be interested in your version of the events. You are saying that Bishop Hunt, President King, and John's neighbors were "maligned" and so this is why they dug into John's business. You maintain that John was badmouthing Hunt and King before Hunt told John he was initiating an investigation into John.

Mayan Elephant wrote:no spying necessary.

I agree that no spying was necessary. But that does not mean no spying occurred. If Dehlin's EQP was stalking him to the point of accessing private online groups to collect information on Dehlin, then that would be spying.

The problem I have with Mayan Elephant's tirade is that he has a real jones for Dehlin. So, there is no spying in ME's mind basically because Dehlin said so. If it had been someone else that ME had no personal history with, he wouldn't have even bothered to comment on this thread. I understand a little of where ME is coming from here, but against his anti-Dehlin perspective, I would place in the balance the long pattern of invasion of privacy the LDS Church and its apologists have engaged in.

It also is easy to resent people with notoriety and say that they get what they deserve if others pay undue attention to them, but that does not make the invasion of privacy right. So, ME's contribution to the thread is of very limited value, as far as I can see.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist