Temple Cafeterias to close permanently

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Temple Cafeterias to close permanently

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:53 pm
Over the years there has been a gradual move towards centering one’s faith and devotion in Jesus Christ, and not the church, per se. It’s Jesus, not programs.
Do you ever, and I mean ever, think about what you’re saying before you post?

What was the church of Jesus Christ doing before ‘the gradual move’? You just implied they were dickin’ around for a hundred and some odd years before ‘the gradual move’ to Christ-centered centering.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:16 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Over the years there has been a gradual move towards centering one’s faith and devotion in Jesus Christ, and not the church, per se. It’s Jesus, not programs.

What was the church of Jesus Christ doing before ‘the gradual move’? You just implied they were dickin’ around for a hundred and some odd years before ‘the gradual move’ to Christ-centered centering.

- Doc
No, you’re not thinking it through. Think about the difference in meaning between these two words:

Static
Dynamic

Now, apply this to what I’m suggesting. I knew exactly what I was saying. So yes, I think about what I’m saying before I post. Possibly more than what thought you give into making a reply.

Drawing a blank? Think about Mosaic Law vs. the New Covenant ushered in by Jesus Christ. Was Jehovah just dickin’ around?

Line upon line.

Think man!

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

-_-
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:41 am
I liked your story about teaching family history--- I didn't realize the class was that practical and I don't remember that in my married student ward. Was this before the indexing push?
Good question. Regarding the later question I believe so since we had to go to the family history library to get access to all of the tools and resources. It was roughly between 98 and 01. Am I wrong in understanding the indexing push and open accessibility is fairly recent?

We had a lesson manual for the family history class that was on a two or three month cycle if I recall correctly. I don't remember if the lesson manual suggested trying to find a family member to use to teach the process or it just made sense to me so that's how we did it I scheduled going to the family history library outside of class with each couple who chose to come to it. It was aimed at teaching the tools but I found it worked best if we arrived with their most current PAF already downloaded and printed from the Church website so we could dive into census records and the other resources only available with a subscription or at the FHL. I think that was recommended in the manual. But maybe not. It's been a long time.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:

- Doc
Yep. One has to wonder what The restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was focussed on all those years before it decided to shift towards Jesus Christ. Maybe the shift happened after the fund became self sustaining…
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

You can no longer be fed in the temple…how poignant is that!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:31 pm
You can no longer be fed in the temple…how poignant is that!
Feed my sheep at the City Creek food court.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:30 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
Yep. One has to wonder what The restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was focussed on all those years before it decided to shift towards Jesus Christ. Maybe the shift happened after the fund became self sustaining…
Your shallow is showing.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:55 am
-_-
What does that even mean? Bring me up to speed?

Is it a symbol for ‘uncle’?

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:14 am
Marcus wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:41 am
I liked your story about teaching family history--- I didn't realize the class was that practical and I don't remember that in my married student ward. Was this before the indexing push?
Good question. Regarding the later question I believe so since we had to go to the family history library to get access to all of the tools and resources. It was roughly between 98 and 01. Am I wrong in understanding the indexing push and open accessibility is fairly recent?

We had a lesson manual for the family history class that was on a two or three month cycle if I recall correctly. I don't remember if the lesson manual suggested trying to find a family member to use to teach the process or it just made sense to me so that's how we did it I scheduled going to the family history library outside of class with each couple who chose to come to it. It was aimed at teaching the tools but I found it worked best if we arrived with their most current PAF already downloaded and printed from the Church website so we could dive into census records and the other resources only available with a subscription or at the FHL. I think that was recommended in the manual. But maybe not. It's been a long time.
Thanks for the details! Sounds like a great way to conduct the class, I’m sure they appreciated the guidance. My Aunts and great-aunts did most of ours so I didn’t have an opportunity to do much but I like hearing about the process.