Defending the Absurd takes a toll?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Defending the Absurd takes a toll?

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:01 pm
Just found the thread where DCP outed Chino Blanco as Dr Scratch. Hilarious!

https://www.discussmormonism.com/viewto ... 4&t=126675
That's the one where Everybody Wang Chung described Dr. Peterson as the Willy Loman of Mopologetics.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:20 am
drumdude wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:01 pm
Just found the thread where DCP outed Chino Blanco as Dr Scratch. Hilarious!

https://www.discussmormonism.com/viewto ... 4&t=126675
That's the one where Everybody Wang Chung described Dr. Peterson as the Willy Loman of Mopologetics.
God bless him.

I know it won’t even make page 10 of the Times when DCP passes but the man is an absolute treasure in post-Mormon circles. I’ll be sad when he’s not around to amuse us any longer.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:20 am
MG 2.0 wrote:Faith Matters is not an authoritarian structure. You’re blowing smoke/BS.
Please, MG, you're really outdoing yourself here. I did not say "faith maters" is authoritarian. The Mormon Church is authoritarian. Faith Matters is a fluff, just-so, shallow dive into Mormon-related topics intended to keep members positive about staying in the boat.
MG 2.0 wrote:Silly sheep, right?
Well yes, this is what I've been saying.
Hi Gadianton, over time here’s what I’ve noticed when I’m communicating with you. Your responses are high falootin’ in the sense that a relatively small group of folks are going to ‘cash in’ on what you’re saying. Now, there is nothing inherently wrong with that. Some folks are smarter in one or more ways than someone else, and visa versa. So here’s the thing. When you say Faith Matters is “fluff” you are doing so in such a way, at least in my opinion, as to set yourself apart as someone who has greater knowledge and insight than ‘the masses’ of folks that “stay in the boat”.

Well, that may well be true. You may, in reference to certain measures of intelligence, be ‘smarter’.

Here’s what I think. Hear me out. On the assumption that Christ’s Gospel, and all that this entails (including Mormonism) is True, with a capital T, one might reasonably expect that this gospel would be accessible to ANYONE. For that to be true, it would have to, at its heart, be simple enough for any ONE of us to understand, grasp hold of, and live. Right?

So when you talk with your friends here in such a way that you’re shouting across from tower to tower and looking upon the masses below with a sense of condescension and even disdain (why don’t they GET IT!) that’s a problem. Why?

Again, the gospel IS simple at its core. We as humans make it complex. Often to the point of adulterating so that it either becomes incomprehensible or silly. If it was ONLY folks like YOU that could grasp TRUTH (as you see it anyway) we would have very few people holding to the rod or attending church. The gospel BY NECESSITY has to be understood by the greatest and the least of God’s children.

Sure, you can do workarounds and redefine what this or that means and circumvent simplicity. It was, if you choose to believe it, foretold that the ‘very elect’ would be deceived. We might ask what that means. We will each, you and I come to different conclusions.

Anyway, your “shallow dive” comment got me thinking…

Regards,
MG
Last edited by MG 2.0 on Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

mentalgymnast wrote: If it was ONLY folks like YOU that could grasp TRUTH (as you see it anyway) we would have very few people holding to the rod or attending church.
There are 8 billion people on the planet. The lds church claims 17 million of those, but when asked directly, less than 5 million are willing to call themsrlves such.

5 million/8 billion = is 6/100s of 1 percent.

So yes, we have "very few people holding to [your] rod or attending [your] church" and therefore, by your own logic, you have proved what you consider to be Gad's point.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:11 pm
mentalgymnast wrote: If it was ONLY folks like YOU that could grasp TRUTH (as you see it anyway) we would have very few people holding to the rod or attending church.
There are 8 billion people on the planet. The LDS church claims 17 million of those, but when asked directly, less than 5 million are willing to call themsrlves such.

5 million/8 billion = is 6/100s of 1 percent.

So yes, we have "very few people holding to [your] rod or attending [your] church" and therefore, by your own logic, you have proved what you consider to be Gad's point.
Matt. 7
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
I hold to everything I said to Gad.

Regards,
MG
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

...and from thence shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth, as the iddy-biddy pebble which is cut out of the mountain without hands shall roll forth, until it has filled a very small portion of the earth...
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:48 pm
...and from thence shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth, as the iddy-biddy pebble which is cut out of the mountain without hands shall roll forth, until it has filled a very small portion of the earth...
If you tell contradictory stories, you probably increase the likelihood that one of them will turn out to be true.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
President Hinckley said years ago that “ The Lord is fulfilling His promise that His gospel shall be as the stone cut out of the mountain without hands which would roll forth and fill the whole earth, as Daniel saw in vision.”

Notice that the gospel will roll forth and fill the whole earth. It doesn’t say much about numbers, if anything. Think of the age of the internet that we are now a part of. The gospel is, by and large, available to a large portion of the earth through online means. Not everywhere, but in a whole lot of places it wasn’t penetrating before.

Who knows what the future will bring?

Nonetheless, “few there be that find it”.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Any comments on my recent post to Gadianton besides a hacked up scripture? 😉

Am I off base?

Regards,
MG
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:03 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
President Hinckley said years ago that “ The Lord is fulfilling His promise that His gospel shall be as the stone cut out of the mountain without hands which would roll forth and fill the whole earth, as Daniel saw in vision.”

Notice that the gospel will roll forth and fill the whole earth. It doesn’t say much about numbers, if anything. Think of the age of the internet that we are now a part of. The gospel is, by and large, available to a large portion of the earth through online means. Not everywhere, but in a whole lot of places it wasn’t penetrating before.

Who knows what the future will bring?

Nonetheless, “few there be that find it”.

Regards,
MG
That seems to be the new switch. Are you really really wanting to plant your flag on the fact that throughout Mormonism's history it wasn't proclaimed to envelope the Earth? I will never understand the logistics of some deity that has a plan that has so few that has the truth whispered in their ear.