Horrible Family News Yesterday

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Re: Horrible Family News Yesterday

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Kevin, my thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family during this time. Please keep us updated, and know that you have lots of love and prayers coming your way.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Kevin Graham »

My niece Layla was in the local news recently for those interested.

http://www.10tv.com/article/nch-patient ... en-disease
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Kevin Graham wrote:My niece Layla was in the local news recently for those interested.

http://www.10tv.com/article/nch-patient ... en-disease

Great to hear this. Thanks for the update.
Layla is an adorable little girl. I would say that she is as fortunate to have such a family as they are to have her.

(Might want to edit the thread title to make it a bit more hopeful now.)
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

It's a terrible diagnosis made worse by the fact there is nothing they can do but watch her suffer.

That just adds to the tragedy and helplessness for all involved.

If they just found this out, I wouldn't stop with one doctor's diagnosis. I would be searching and looking for second, third, and fourth opinions. As well as alternative treatments and therapies. Her condition is so rare, there likely isn't going to be the expenditures involved for finding cures. Doesn't mean there won't or isn't already some breakthrough science waiting to be discovered.

Where there is life there is hope.

Remember AIDS was once a death sentence. Isn't anymore. People with AIDS are now able to live long lives with proper treatment and medication.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

that's awesome Kevin!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

AmyJo wrote:It's a terrible diagnosis made worse by the fact there is nothing they can do but watch her suffer.

That just adds to the tragedy and helplessness for all involved.

If they just found this out, I wouldn't stop with one doctor's diagnosis. I would be searching and looking for second, third, and fourth opinions. As well as alternative treatments and therapies. Her condition is so rare, there likely isn't going to be the expenditures involved for finding cures. Doesn't mean there won't or isn't already some breakthrough science waiting to be discovered.

Where there is life there is hope.

Remember AIDS was once a death sentence. Isn't anymore. People with AIDS are now able to live long lives with proper treatment and medication.

They had too many opinions before the genetic test was done, and it is pretty much definitive. The issue as I understand it is that everyone has a gene that works as a garbage disposal of sorts, to dispose of all the cellular "garbage" that naturally occurs in the body. Layla lacks that gene, and so all the garbage gradually builds up in her system causing various functions to shut down over time.

The only known treatment is what they're doing now, which is cutting edge. I think it began in Germany and now being tested here at Nationwide Hospital in Columbus. It basically pumps enzymes directly into her brain to and the hope is that they will act as a garbage disposal for her cells. For the first year the results weren't promising. She was constantly suffering from fevers, staff infections from all the surgeries, and she didn't appear to be improving. In fact her last words were in April of 2015. She hasn't spoken since. But lately she does appear to be doing somewhat better. Her eye coordination is improved, she is at least trying to talk, and she is able to walk with a higher degree of success than before.

Typically early symptoms include blindness and so we're really hoping the enzymes prevent this from happening. No one with Battens has ever lived past the age of 12. If this treatment continues to work as hoped for, this is going to be a very big deal.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

It is great news. She is a beautiful little girl. Blessings and hope for the best. This case seems to me to be cutting edge in the treatment of this disease. There are so many new things coming out in genetic research and treatment. I was blessed with some cutting edge genetically developed medicine to deal with tumors growing on my adrenal glands in 2003 or I wouldn't be here. Praying for you all.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I dearly hope the new treatment is effective.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Encouraging news! I loved seeing her friends play with her. Oh my heart!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Thanks for sharing the good news. I hope the news stays good.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951