Nuance Hoe claims missionaries now using bait-and-switch "we're Christian" tactics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Re: Nuance Hoe claims missionaries now using bait-and-switch "we're Christian" tactics

Post by Canadiandude2 »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:46 pm
Canadiandude2 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:58 am
Canadiandude, I would expect that of those youth who accept upon instruction the idea of the Trinity all or nearly all accept it only due to social construction or tradition. To dig into the process that formed that tradition,the reasons behind the development of that social construction is not simple.

One might spend a lifetime aiming to understand the strengths and weakness of different claims. I think thought about such things is a good thing but I do not expect a church to undertake an extensive comparative religion study. Individuals need to shoulder responsibility themselves for most of that.
///

addition, Ok Ill bite, what are you thinking of ? You said,
"I’m not convinced a person can claim real understanding of a thing if they cannot understand its incoherencies- and yes, of which the Trinity has plenty. Throwing these into some kinda ‘black box’ of a ‘mystery’ doesn’t cut it for me"

what sort of incoherence are you thinking of?
Is it ok if I necro this when I have the time to give this the attention I would like? If not I understand. -that’s my bad for making arguments online that require more explanation than I can prioritize relative to my own professional research which comes first.

The first incoherency that immediately springs up is that it’s not apparent that the original authors of the respective texts that make up the New Testament actually had a homogeneous and consistent understanding of the relationship between “the Father” “the Son” “and the Holy Ghost”. Debates and decision-making by early church leaders on the matter seems to suggests that early church fathers had to pick, choose, sometimes write, rewrite, and reinterpret the text(s) to arrive at the decisions they did- but without any consistent way of ensuring the validity and reliability of this process nor resultant outcome(s) even to this very day.

If I’m remembering McClellan correctly, it’s not even clear that during its earliest days, that all or most early Christians even considered the personhood of Christ to be deific as opposed to being merely prophetic.

Sure, the development of the natural and social sciences can also be argued as having evolved socially, paradigmatically, but it would be a fallacy to argue that the resultant knowledge claims and processes by which the trinity- as opposed claims made within the sciences- evolved and are based upon are of an equally reliable and valid quality. (Sic, sorry having trouble phrasing my ideas here ^^). I can no more (not by much anyway) determine how and why the trinity is a valid, reliable, and necessary concept within Christianity today as per when these decisions started to be made in the first, second, and third centuries.

When I examine the development and treatment of Gnosticism, gnostics, and many other minority beliefs and minority’s throughout Christianity’s development , I’m more persuaded by McClellan’s argument that people often interpreted and wrote religious texts to confirm or even materialize their own societal interests, beliefs, and norms than attempting to arrive at any consistent and data-driven truth re: such matters.

~

I am confused how God can simultaneously be father, son, and Holy Ghost while maintaining the same degree of distinctiveness and respective personhood that the Bible often suggests. When Jesus speaks to or refers to his father is he talking to himself? Referring to himself in third person ? How can he be at two material places at once? The Bible’s narrators talk about Jesus ascending/descending to/from the father or apparently referring to such.

If God the father is spirit- how did he ejaculate into Mary so as to impregnate her?(edit assuming that trinitarians are even certain of the existence of god, his incorporeality, and material as opposed to metaphorical paternity of Jesus) Did these gods exist prior to materiality? After? How is this substantiated? Trinitarians may claim such to be mysteries or have sometimes even attempted to explain such- but the former just puts things in a metaphorical ‘box’ so to speak, requiring blind faith, while the latter tends to to get even more incomprehensible.

(Edit: also, if divine paternity of Jesus is metaphorical, what makes Jesus so special?? He was a perfect example? That comes close to some claims made by Mormons and requires additional evidence as well)

Do the sciences put things in boxes such as mysteries? Certainly. But our boxes are a lot smaller and we try our best to hypothesize using what we can best already find as logical and evidentiary. We make use of as few of leaps and sky cranes as we can.

Yet the Trinity tries to solve dilemmas and create sacred mysteries for phenomena and claims for which the grounding evidence and logic is already extremely sparse if not baseless.

Logically there were Christians before the Trinity was as hegemonic of an idea within Christianity, and I haven’t seen much by way of evidence nor logic to legitimize it as a fact independent of the social agreement of such, it not anything that necessitate it as a/the major point by which distinguish Christians from non-Christians.

It’s arbitrary. Believe it should you wish but someone’s gotta point it out to both yourselves and Mormons that your arguments essentially amount to arguing about whose magical, unsubstantiated teapot is superior- without truthfully acknowledging the limitations of your respective claims.

I agree that Mormon theology is very different than the majority of contemporary Christians, and reflects many of the particular beliefs and perceived problems operative within the sociopolitical society it was formulated in.

Your point?

But no, I do not however see much evidence for considering Trinitarianism as any more, or less socially constructed and arbitrary than Mormons’ non-trinitarianism.

Edit: Whew! There’s so much more. This doesn’t even begin to approach the problem of how to define God and be certain of the concept validity of what it is we think we’re talking about when we say ‘God’.

But hey! That’s on ya’ll to establish- not on me. I sure ain’t gonna tire myself trying to disprove every conceivable fairy or gnome.

Best of luck to you
Physics Guy
God

Re: Nuance Hoe claims missionaries now using bait-and-switch "we're Christian" tactics

Post by Physics Guy »

Canadiandude2 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:04 am
The first incoherency that immediately springs up is that it’s not apparent that the original authors of the respective texts that make up the New Testament actually had a homogeneous and consistent understanding of the relationship between “the Father” “the Son” “and the Holy Ghost”. Debates and decision-making by early church leaders on the matter seems to suggests that early church fathers had to pick, choose, sometimes write, rewrite, and reinterpret the text(s) to arrive at the decisions they did- but without any consistent way of ensuring the validity and reliability of this process nor resultant outcome(s) even to this very day.
Why do you call this an incoherency? No-one claims that either the Deity of Christ or the Trinity is emphasised clearly anywhere in the Bible. Catholics happily say that the church figured them out gradually afterwards, and even sola Scriptura Protestants acknowledge that the Trinity is pretty implicitly there in the New Testament.
I am confused how God can simultaneously be father, son, and Holy Ghost while maintaining the same degree of distinctiveness and respective personhood that the Bible often suggests. When Jesus speaks to or refers to his father is he talking to himself? Referring to himself in third person ? How can he be at two material places at once? The Bible’s narrators talk about Jesus ascending/descending to/from the father or apparently referring to such.
The Trinity has never meant that the three Persons are only one Person. The Athanasian Creed beats this into the ground at repetitive length. There are not three Gods, and there is not just one Person. Exactly what "Person" and "God" mean are loosely defined, if at all, but there are plenty of at least weakly analogous cases in which a simple concrete thing is one thing, yet simultaneously is more than one of some kind of other thing. A single cube is six squares. If things as simple as cubes and squares can be like that, why is it incoherent for the ultimate being to be in some kind of way three and yet one?
If God the father is spirit- how did he ejaculate into Mary so as to impregnate her?(edit assuming that trinitarians are even certain of the existence of god, his incorporeality, and material as opposed to metaphorical paternity of Jesus) Did these gods exist prior to materiality? After?
This seems to be based on materialistic Mormon theology that strikes mainstream Christians as bizarre. The author of reality does not need to have semen to bring about a virgin birth. Mainstream Christian theology no doubt strikes many people as bizarre, too, but the Mormon version seems kind of like postulating an afterlife that will take place in Cleveland. It's like, "An afterlife? Sure, okay, maybe—but why the heck Cleveland? Isn't an afterlife supposed to be a lot more than that? Do we go there by bus?" That's the kind of reaction. "A God? Sure, okay, maybe—but why the heck with a flesh-and-bone body?"

Of course the Trinity is not an evidence-based scientific theory, but you can't support a charge of conceptual incoherence by pointing to lack of evidence. That's a different issue, and it's even important in science to keep those issues separate. I'm not going to waste time looking for evidence for a hypothesis that isn't even coherent.
Last edited by Physics Guy on Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:06 pm
Chap was angry with me for other reasons
Nope. Not angry. I just thought that bill4long (whoever or whatever that is) had not in fact fulfilled the conditions laid down by Kishkumen for being called a 'moron'. So I explained why.

And, frankly, I am unable to recall any reasons why I should bother to carry the emotional load of being angry with someone on a discussion board that has pretty well nothing to do with (my) real life, but which I visit for innocent diversion. If Kishkumen can recall any past conflicts with me that he might consider could lead to me being angry with him, I suggest he just forgets them. I simply can't recall any.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
I Have Questions
Bishop

Post by I Have Questions »

Chap wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:11 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:06 pm
Chap was angry with me for other reasons
Nope. Not angry. I just thought that bill4long (whoever or whatever that is) had not in fact fulfilled the conditions laid down by Kishkumen for being called a 'moron'. So I explained why.

And, frankly, I am unable to recall any reasons why I should bother to carry the emotional load of being angry with someone on a discussion board that has pretty well nothing to do with (my) real life, but which I visit for innocent diversion. If Kishkumen can recall any past conflicts with me that he might consider could lead to me being angry with him, I suggest he just forgets them. I simply can't recall any.
Welcome to Kishkumen’s "It's not my fault, it's yours..." club Chap.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Chap wrote:

Great, Chap. Let's just forget the whole thing. I will forget you backing up a troll against me, and we can both forget this interaction entirely. This helps me appreciate just how worthwhile our interactions in the future will be.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I Have Questions wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:34 am
Non sequitur.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:14 pm
I will forget you backing up a troll against me, and we can both forget this interaction entirely.
I criticised your response to bill4long because I evaluated it (and still do) as being an unfair response to what she/he/it had written in the post you cited.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I Have Questions wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:34 am
Chap wrote:

This.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Canadiandude2 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:04 am

If I’m remembering McClellan correctly, it’s not even clear that during its earliest days, that all or most early Christians even considered the personhood of Christ to be deific as opposed to being merely prophetic.

Sure, the development of the natural and social sciences can also be argued as having evolved socially, paradigmatically, but it would be a fallacy to argue that the resultant knowledge claims and processes by which the trinity- as opposed claims made within the sciences- evolved and are based upon are of an equally reliable and valid quality. (Sic, sorry having trouble phrasing my ideas here ^^). I can no more (not by much anyway) determine how and why the trinity is a valid, reliable, and necessary concept within Christianity today as per when these decisions started to be made in the first, second, and third centuries.

When I examine the development and treatment of Gnosticism, gnostics, and many other minority beliefs and minority’s throughout Christianity’s development , I’m more persuaded by McClellan’s argument that people often interpreted and wrote religious texts to confirm or even materialize their own societal interests, beliefs, and norms than attempting to arrive at any consistent and data-driven truth re: such matters.
Canandiandude, pardon if I copied only a piece of your post to focus on. The subject can be large and you touched on several considerations.

I am sort of following Physics Guys comments which covered my first thoughts. You are correct to my understanding in your outline of development in Christian history. That path was of course not just random accident it was the result of the careful consideration of quite a few people. There are basic events and perceptions which formed the foundation and impetus for Christianity becoming a movement and faith. I think first was the hope for a better world which Jesus projected as a preacher. That was a combination of his social instructions and the hope of a renewed relationship with God. But Jesus was executed afterwhich the belief that he had risen from the dead took hold. People trying to understand that found the idea of atonement as a basic clue. This would have arisen from a combination of religious patterns they were familiar with and the hope that Jesus had encouraged.

Atonement implied that in Jesus God was taking an action but people thought of various possible ways of seeing that. Jesus could be an assigned representative like a king of Israel. He could in some sense have been adopted by God. He could have been a spiritual being with a special closeness to God or perhaps God being present. The New Testament materials all point to the idea of some special closeness but do not work out details beyond the John statements, in the beginning was the word and the word was God.

I think the atonement idea has a chance of making sense only if it is understood as God taking an action for us not as a human dying for us. There were plenty of Jews dying. I think the trinity was a generalizing statement agreed upon to protect that one idea.

I can see how agreed upon means a social construct ,one constructed by people for a purpose.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

When a sister missionary contacted me through Facebook recently, she did not identify herself as LDS and asked only if I wanted to know more about Christ. I suspected she was LDS and confirmed it by looking at her Facebook page.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.