Will DCP Keep His Promise To BYU?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Will DCP Keep His Promise To BYU?

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:03 am
I dunno. You tell me. Trump lied to and received people. Was it unbecoming to call him out? To show he was a man peddling foolishness and was untrustworthy?

with regard to - DCP. You think so highly of a man who deceives others and goes back on his word to defend him from our own behavior? That's weird, man DCP needs to be shown for the man he is, lest people like sigline guy are bamboozled by his self-serving B.S., and remain in the cult?
Are you seriously comparing DCP to Trump? You would agree, I hope, that presidential lies that result in thousands of deaths are on a whole different level, yes?

You mean, think he is a human being and not a monster? Yeah, that’s right, I think he is a flawed human being and not a monster. He should be treated as a flawed human being and not like a monster.

Please do share with us your criticisms of the LDS Church because that has a lot more value than efforts to demonize a flawed human being who is not a monster.
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
Symmachus
Valiant A

Post by Symmachus »

Speaking of monsters, Klaus Barbie used to torture his victims by suggesting he was going to write several books—but then he wouldn't do it. It was horrible.

And I also remember how Adolf Hitler fought the second world war by staging publicity stunts, suggesting jokingly that some people should gas themselves—he didn't think they'd actually walk into a gas chamber!—and of course promising it would all be over by Easter. A real monster.
(who/whom)

"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."
—B. Redd McConkie
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Symmachus wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:47 am
Speaking of monsters, Klaus Barbie used to torture his victims by suggesting he was going to write several books—but then he wouldn't do it. It was horrible.

The dreadful affair finds its summation.
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:34 am
Are you seriously comparing DCP to Trump?
Both Trump and Petersen are hindered by their NPD. Neither apparently sees this disorder as an affliction. However, if NPD were curable, both would be much better off than they are. Their adherents would be as well.

As they approach the ends of their careers, musings regarding their legacies (as reported recently by DCP) are to be expected. Both DCP (who is reasonably intelligent) and Trump (who is clearly not) have good reasons for concern.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

DrW wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:57 pm
Both Trump and Petersen are hindered by their NPD. Neither apparently sees this disorder as an affliction. However, if NPD were curable, both would be much better off than they are. Their adherents would be as well.

As they approach the ends of their careers, musings regarding their legacies (as reported recently by DCP) are to be expected. Both DCP (who is reasonably intelligent) and Trump (who is clearly not) have good reasons for concern.
It is also true that both are bipedal organisms.
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:08 pm
DrW wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:57 pm

It is also true that both are bipedal organisms.
Since NPD cannot be cured, you might have a point - perhaps it is what it is. However, in most cases, NPD can be managed. Both individuals mentioned would greatly benefit from the recognition that they could do better with occasional professional help.

When DCP steps in it or goes off the rails, as he does far too often, taking a few hours to talk with a professional about why he makes such unforced errors, and what he might do to avoid them in the future, would help. Those who maintain that DCP does not have a problem, and should not be criticized, are enabling his bad behavior, which action benefits no one, least of all DCP.

Same with Donald Trump. However, in his case the adverse childhood family environment and his inherited wealth, coupled with long years of near exclusive personal associations with sycophants and enablers, and getting away with it when he breaks the law, have probably rendered his case "terminal".
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kish, Dr.with eloquently explained the comparison. You're taking people to task for correctly identifying the words and behaviors from someone who absolutely needs to be identified as sociopathic, narcissistic, and literally engaged in priestcraft knowing it's BS

-Doc.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:51 am
In 2014, DCP took a year sabbatical with pay in exchange for his promise to finish two books.

DCP will retire on July 1st, 2021. As of today, those two books DCP promised to finish remain unfinished.

What are the chances DCP will finish those books by July?
The idea of a sabbatical involving a promise to finish two books or a book strikes me as bizarre. Traditionally people have some project in mind but that is open ended.
online dictionary definition fits what I have seen.
sab·bat·i·cal
/səˈbadək(ə)l/
noun
noun: sabbatical; plural noun: sabbaticals

a period of paid leave granted to a university teacher or other worker for study or travel, traditionally one year for every seven years worked.
"she's away on sabbatical"
I realize a number of people do not like Mr Peterson but he will enjoy his sabbatical anyway.(whether or not a book gets finished)
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I see that Dr. Peterson has responded to the accusations on this thread. Well, okay: he didn't even mention the key point in the OP, but never mind. Check it out:
DCP wrote:Yesterday, as on virtually all other days, I saw a few anonymous online attacks against me. One of them declared me a “monster.” (All too true, say I!) Today one of them says that I’m a narcissist. And, of course, that accusation may well be true, as well. (Who am I to judge?) It also pronounces me a sociopath. Which, I expect, is also very likely true. Further, it declares, I practice priestcraft, profiting financially from the Restoration while knowing full well that its claims are false. Here, however, I want to quibble. In fact, I don’t know that the claims of the Restoration are false, probably because I’m simply too stupid. But I’m really puzzled by the charge of “priestcraft.” Where’s my check?
1. The Cruise Lady hasn't been running due to the pandemic, so the "check" likely isn't coming this year; and/or:

2. That will all depend on whether or not Witnesses pulls in a profit. Or, should I say "Prophet"?? Ha ha!
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:50 pm
Kish, Dr.with eloquently explained the comparison. You're taking people to task for correctly identifying the words and behaviors from someone who absolutely needs to be identified as sociopathic, narcissistic, and literally engaged in priestcraft knowing it's B.S.

-Doc.
Gee, I was unaware that you and DrW are professional psychologists!