Audio of Bill Reel's Disciplinary Council

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Audio of Bill Reel's Disciplinary Council

Post by _Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:One this is for sure. When it comes to taking down Mormonism, the end justifies the GODDMAMN means!

Then I guess you really don’t have a problem with lies. I will disregard all of your claims to the contrary.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Shulem wrote:One this is for sure. When it comes to taking down Mormonism, the end justifies the GODDMAMN means!

Then I guess you really don’t have a problem with lies. I will disregard all of your claims to the contrary.

I lived a lie for many years thanks to the church. What’s one more little lie?

Wars are not easily won. Taking down Mormonism is a messy business.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:What does it matter if Norton advertised his friendship with Reel on Facebook? We don't know what Reel has to say about the relationship do we?

That he entered the building to record doesn't implicate Reel.

I think the situation speaks for itself.

I noticed that.

Let the one who has ears hear. I imagine that if I were wrong about this someone close to Reel would have corrected me by now. I’m not wrong.

Why would you settle for "someone close to Reel"?

It’s OK. I get it. The Church is bad, so screw them, right?

Except for the worthiness interviews and November policy, I'm invested in exactly nothing regarding the church. Screwing them or otherwise.

Bill is only human. He has made some mistakes. No biggie. I think he has a cool and fun podcast.

I know next to nothing about Bill Reel.

At the same time, I am unimpressed with the whole DC show. I view it as a setup. Bill wanted his martyrdom and he got it. He took advantage of the Church’s process to make his own statement.

It could have been more powerful had it not turned into an ex-Mo testimony meeting and Norton prank. But obviously I was not the target audience. Nor were the Mormons who need enlightening.

The target audience was all of those people who are already heavily leaning in or fully converted to the idea that the Church is BS and that “woke” folks will march out the door to enjoy eternal Second Saturdays and the occasional vigil for the next holy witness to the anti-LDS “truth.”

I think that "the whole DC show" might be of more value than you think.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:I lived a lie for many years thanks to the church. What’s one more little lie?

Wars are not easily won. Taking down Mormonism is a messy business.

You did. You lived the lie of a civilization that is struggling to grasp humanity. The thought of your pain eats at me. The pain of others like you I have known all my life.

I imagine you have a big appetite for revenge. I don’t blame you!

You won’t take down Mormonism, anyway. Nor will Bill Reel. Mormonism is being buffetted by historical factors beyond you or Bill Reel. Enjoy the ride.

I wish I could. I see that human beings don’t change. We yearn for better things, and we fall short. Our failings are targeted by others, and they go on to repeat our mistakes.

The decline of Mormonism changes nothing. The world is becoming a very dark place indeed. We will be lucky if our grandchildren aren’t wiped out. We will be lucky not to witness their suffering for our real sins. The sins of Mormonism are small potatoes by comparison.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Jersey Girl wrote:I think that "the whole DC show" might be of more value than you think.

Good for you.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Geez kish, I just don’t get it. Some dude decides to record his made up court about a made up religion and post it online. He enlists a known anti-Mormon to help him out. No laws were broken. No one was harmed. Big deal. I get it’s not how you would've handled it, but seriously, why the vitriol?
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Sanctorian wrote:Geez kish, I just don’t get it. Some dude decides to record his made up court about a made up religion and post it online. He enlists a known anti-Mormon to help him out. No laws were broken. No one was harmed. Big deal. I get it’s not how you would've handled it, but seriously, why the vitriol?

We don't know that he enlisted Norton.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

Kishkumen wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:I didn't see where we have evidence that Bill Reel approved, invited or enlisted Norton's help. Has someone confirmed that? Link please.

Maybe it is a complete coincidence that Mike Norton advertised his friendship with Bill Reel on Facebook one week before he went to trespass and record Bill’s DC.

:eek:

Bill Reel stated in the interview with RFM that he was aware that there was a recording. He did not give details. He does claim that he was not the one recording, nor did he "push the record" button. However, his voice is the clear one in the recording. All others sound distant. This suggests the mic was close to him.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Didn't Bill have to sign an NDA, as well as make strong penalty signs and gestures to assure that he would not record this event?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Sanctorian wrote:Geez kish, I just don’t get it. Some dude decides to record his made up court about a made up religion and post it online. He enlists a known anti-Mormon to help him out. No laws were broken. No one was harmed. Big deal. I get it’s not how you would've handled it, but seriously, why the vitriol?

I believe the point Kish is making is not that Bill decided to record his DC. It's that the decision to record his DC runs contrary to the principled tone of Bill's ongoing criticism of the Church. That Bill's behaved in a manner that he would criticise the Church for behaving in, is the point underpinning Kish's posts on this thread (I believe, but I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm misreading). Further to that point, Bill's saying that he didn't record the DC, whilst his complicity with the record being blatantly obvious is the kind of mealy mouthed comment that Bill himself would pick apart on his podcast.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')