Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Dementia?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:58 pm
It's my understanding that the hosanna shout is only done when a temple is dedicated. What was the reason they did this during General Conference?
This is Mormonism. There is no doctrine and no tradition that cannot be changed whenever the Q15 and/or apologists need it to change. The last GC was about how super duper Joseph Smith was and how his supposed vision of something (Jesus, Angels, or God and Jesus together) was the best thing since Jesus supposedly rose from the dead. So, why not do the hosanna shout? My guess is that there were some polls taken and the results were that during temple dedications, the hosanna shout is the best part of the manufactured experience. So, why not use it to manufacture another "spiritual" experience that the members can have? It'll be something to talk about in church. Too bad the corona virus spoiled the thing. Russell M. Nelson and the rest probably wanted a big pagent like atmosphere and camera shots of the audience waiving their handkerchiefs with gusto and feeling. Instead it came off as Chief Robot stiffly chanting and waiving his handkerchief while Robot #2 went to his own tune.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

an interesting post from reddit, titled the successor, has an opinion on why the hosanna shout was done this conference:
President Nelson got taken down a step in October 1990 when, in answer to his talk about the correct name of the Church, President Hinckley recited a humorous verse: “ Father calls me William, Sister calls me Will, Mother calls me Willie, But the fellers call me Bill”

That must have stewed in President Nelson for a while. It would not have receded when President Hinckley overlooked him for a counsellor when selecting the more junior Henry Eyring, less than 6 months before President Hinckley died. But redemption ultimately came recently when he got to call out “Mormonism” as being of the devil and wiped it from the Church idiom, for the present.

President Hinckley read the last two Proclamations to the Church, in 1980 and 1995, and now President Nelson has done that. He read from the Sacred Grove an updated and improved version of the 1980 sesquicentennial proclamation read from the Whitmer home by President Hinckley. Perhaps it was 10 years earlier than appropriate, but would President Nelson still be around in 2030?

President Hinckley did the previous Hosanna Shout at the opening of the Conference Centre 20 years ago, with more than 20,000 members. President Nelson followed the same pattern of instruction and performed the Hosanna Shout, planned to be with about 21,000 members but in fact only about 5 were present due to the coronavirus, one of whom couldn’t manage to wave the handkerchief in unison.

In 1996 President Hinckley changed the logo of the Church to emphasise the importance of the Savior. In 2020 President Nelson changed the logo to put added emphasis on the Savior.

Shortly before President Hinckley was called into the First Presidency, the Sunday block meeting program was instituted. President Nelson has eliminated one of the three hours of meetings, thus substantially changing and shortening that block meeting program.

Are the things done by or associated with President Hinckley a guide to the next reform of President Nelson?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mormon/comment ... successor/
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Lemmie wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:11 pm
an interesting post from reddit, titled the successor, has an opinion on why the hosanna shout was done this conference:
President Nelson got taken down a step in October 1990 when, in answer to his talk about the correct name of the Church, President Hinckley recited a humorous verse: “ Father calls me William, Sister calls me Will, Mother calls me Willie, But the fellers call me Bill”

That must have stewed in President Nelson for a while. It would not have receded when President Hinckley overlooked him for a counsellor when selecting the more junior Henry Eyring, less than 6 months before President Hinckley died. But redemption ultimately came recently when he got to call out “Mormonism” as being of the devil and wiped it from the Church idiom, for the present.

President Hinckley read the last two Proclamations to the Church, in 1980 and 1995, and now President Nelson has done that. He read from the Sacred Grove an updated and improved version of the 1980 sesquicentennial proclamation read from the Whitmer home by President Hinckley. Perhaps it was 10 years earlier than appropriate, but would President Nelson still be around in 2030?

President Hinckley did the previous Hosanna Shout at the opening of the Conference Centre 20 years ago, with more than 20,000 members. President Nelson followed the same pattern of instruction and performed the Hosanna Shout, planned to be with about 21,000 members but in fact only about 5 were present due to the coronavirus, one of whom couldn’t manage to wave the handkerchief in unison.

In 1996 President Hinckley changed the logo of the Church to emphasise the importance of the Savior. In 2020 President Nelson changed the logo to put added emphasis on the Savior.

Shortly before President Hinckley was called into the First Presidency, the Sunday block meeting program was instituted. President Nelson has eliminated one of the three hours of meetings, thus substantially changing and shortening that block meeting program.

Are the things done by or associated with President Hinckley a guide to the next reform of President Nelson?
Great find! Next up, Nelson takes on "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become." Nelson gets awakened in the middle of the night by his trusty pen and begins to write how Hinckley was scared of how Christians would react to this and cowered away from it. A new proclamation about man's destiny should be in the offing.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Lemmie wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:11 pm

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:37 pm
Great find! Next up, Nelson takes on "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become." Nelson gets awakened in the middle of the night by his trusty pen and begins to write how Hinckley was scared of how Christians would react to this and cowered away from it. A new proclamation about man's destiny should be in the offing.
Is Nelson the first known case of someone being infected with HIENVID-18? (Hinckley Envy Virus Disease 2018)
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Oh wow, even more important than the long-standing tension between Nelson and the Hinckster, Nelson has been in a straight-jacket since the Eighties over the name of the Church?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Is it true? Can I post here now?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Bumping this for easier reading by the posters at SeN.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Moksha Louis Midgley • a day ago • edited
Louis - I notice that some who come to sic et non to sneer and mock the faith of Latter-day Saints like to ridicule me as merely a "grumpy old man," as if my advanced age were a moral/intellectual handicap. I am confident that they also see President Nelson in the same way. I am aware of one Kiwi who has said as much.
While President Nelson does not post on message boards, I would like to think of him as a kind-hearted old man who would be generous in praise and quick to forgive. He would embrace generativity rather than fall victim to rancor. I doubt bullying has ever been in his nature.

FDH Moksha • 21 hours ago • edited
Moksha, without commenting on your motives I would like to confirm your assumptions regarding President Nelson. Indeed he does have a kind heart, is slow to judge and is generous and genuine in praise and forgiveness. You appear to be a good judge of character, at least in his case. For the past 20 years I have observed his character up rather close, including a week he and Sister Nelson spent in my home while I was living in a foreign country not too many years ago. His remarkable natural inclinations seem to be continually refined by his love for Heaven and Heaven’s trust and confidence in him. He is a good example of a disciple of Jesus Christ. Thank you again for posting about his positive attributes. I invite you, as I invite myself, to emulate his character the best we can: kindness of heart, hesitance to judge, generous with praise, and eager forgiveness.

Kiwi57 Moksha • a day ago
I doubt bullying has ever been in his nature.
I also doubt that bullying has ever been in Lou's nature.

Praising some absent person X in order to create a pointed contrast to some target person Y is a well-known passive-aggressive bullying tactic. I suggest you stop using it.

Louis Midgley Moksha • a day ago • edited
Please notice that Moksha, who sees Elder Nelson merely "as a kind hearted old man" who presumably would heap praise on the weird comments of Moksha, tries to turn him into a stick with which to beat Latter-day Saints.

Moksha Louis Midgley • a day ago
Louis, you tried to turn President Nelson into a flag that you could wrap yourself in, to conceal your bullying tactics.

Kiwi57 Moksha • a day ago
Louis, you tried to turn President Nelson into a flag that you could wrap yourself in, to conceal your bullying tactics.
I regret that you have no good-faith basis to believe what you assert.

And you still haven't told us who or what "the Church's congressional delegation" might be.

Moksha Kiwi57 • 21 hours ago
Louis and yourself are the twin bullies of this board. The two of you are always attacking other posters. You already know this because you have been engaged in such behavior for years.

The Church's Congressional delegation are members of Congress who are LDS.

DanielPeterson Mod Moksha • 21 hours ago
Moksha: "Louis and yourself are the twin bullies of this board."

Stop it, Moksha.

Incidentally, Kiwi is here, but Professor Midgley isn't. So I'll speak on his behalf: I've known him now for somewhat more than half of my life. I've traveled with him in Europe, Oceania, and the Near East. He isn't a bully. He's never been a bully. The demonology of your message board is toxic and false, and -- if it really must exist at all -- it should stay on your message board.

Moksha: "The Church's Congressional delegation are members of Congress who are LDS."

Sort of like the members of Congress who represent world Jewry?

Kiwi57 DanielPeterson • 5 hours ago
Moksha: "The Church's Congressional delegation are members of Congress who are LDS."

Sort of like the members of Congress who represent world Jewry?
Oh, snap!

Permit me to anticipate Moksha's response: it's a "poisonous apologetic" to point out any resemblances between anti-Semitic propaganda and anti-Mormon propaganda. That's because anti-Semitism has killed a lot more people than anti-Mormonism has.

I've always thought that we compare arguments and ideological positions by their content rather than their consequences. Perhaps that just goes to show how little I know about such things.

Louis Midgley Moksha • 19 hours ago • edited
Moksha, Why the continual nasty personal attacks on me and on Professor Peterson and my friend?

Please take your act somewhere else.

Kiwi57 Moksha • 21 hours ago • edited
Louis and yourself are the twin bullies of this board.
Please note: I know you've never heard this before, but this isn't a board. It's a blog.

There are important differences which you might not be aware of.
The two of you are always attacking other posters. You already know this because you have been engaged in such behavior for years.
Another unsupported accusation. What a surprise!
The Church's Congressional delegation are members of Congress who are LDS.
Really? And do they know that they are representing the Church in Congress?

I'm inclined to think that they may expect to be representing the interests of the voters who sent them there.

Louis Midgley Kiwi57 • 2 hours ago • edited
I have sort of gotten nights and days confused partly because of certain current events. I just now noticed the comments that were posted after my response to the one calling himself Moksha a day ago.

A while ago in a long email I explained to Professor Peterson that I was seriously considering mostly not responding to his blog items, since doing so detracts from writing some essays that I would like to see published. In a real sense Modsha suddenly forced my hand.

Much less than that long series of exchanges I had with that one who posted on sic et non as Dr. VelhoBurrinho (Little Old Donkey), and on the sewer merely as Dr. LOD, in which he claimed that I had fabricated every word of what I have written about what is often called by Maori and then forced them to adopt what I have invented.

I found most everything Dr. LOD posted for over four months both false and very irritating. Looking back, I should have responded once, and then ignored the one who chose as his alias the word Donkey.

I will henceforth not respond to Modsha again. However, I again urge him to take his act back to the sewer, where it belongs.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

DanielPeterson Mod Moksha • 21 hours ago
Moksha: "Louis and yourself are the twin bullies of this board."

Stop it, Moksha.

Incidentally, Kiwi is here, but Professor Midgley isn't. So I'll speak on his behalf: I've known him now for somewhat more than half of my life. I've traveled with him in Europe, Oceania, and the Near East. He isn't a bully. He's never been a bully.
The 34 pages of Midgley quotes in this thread say otherwise, Peterson.

Midgley is indeed a bully, and it is copiously documented in his own words here. He is a foul-mouthed, mean-spirited, obsessive bully, and he tells increasingly complicated lies about those he is compulsively attacking. Peterson facilitates this behavior, and together they represent a pretty obnoxious picture of online LDS behavior, brought to the world by two BYU professors. Shameful.

Hang in there Moksha. Your comments, whether here or there, are so much fun to read! Thank you.