How do you, a RM, feel about your Mission?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Re: How do you, a RM, feel about your Mission?

Post by _Inconceivable »

Jason Bourne wrote:
rcrocket wrote:
I learned that there was more to life than my GTO and my girlfriend.

I don't know Bob, a GTO is pretty sweet. I had a 72 Lemans Coup, the sister car to the GTO that I sold to raise money for my mission. That was a sweet car.

But it was worth giving up and I like you learned there was much more to life than my fancy car.

Agreed. I sold a dreamcar I had nearly restored to fund the mission as well. That and girlfriends were my life outside of school & work. I always wished I could have completed the car. But at the time, it was a priviledge to sacrifice my most prized earthly possession.

I was aggreable to not having a girlfiend or a date for 2 years (18 mos. in my case), but as I look back on the adventure, it was perhaps the most un-natural requirement of the mission.

It's a shame Parley P Pratt abused the priviledge and ruined it for everyone. What a hoser.
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

krose wrote:Just wanted to add that one unexpected result of my mission experience was that it started my eventual exit from the church.

Ditto on that, but for different reasons.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

Trevor wrote:
krose wrote:Just wanted to add that one unexpected result of my mission experience was that it started my eventual exit from the church.

Ditto on that, but for different reasons.

It worked opposite for me. My siblings all left the church within 4 years of my return. Their anti Mormon rants had no effect on me at all, except that I mourned deeply and prayed for their souls. The mission was my Right of Passage and honed my ability to listen to the spiritual whisperings of what I later concluded to be a lying Mormon God.

The mission experience had fused me to the foundation of iron and clay for 24 years.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

ktallamigo wrote:Some enterprising missionaries learned to imitate our President's voice, and played lots of practical jokes on other missionaries - calling them to be zone leaders and such.

Oh man, I am LOL at that one! All these many years later, and the concept of such a sublime practical joke never dawned on me.

I would've loved to see the zone conference at which that particular ruse was revealed!
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

The exact same thing happened in my mission, and it was sweet.

Dr. Shades wrote:
ktallamigo wrote:Some enterprising missionaries learned to imitate our President's voice, and played lots of practical jokes on other missionaries - calling them to be zone leaders and such.

Oh man, I am LOL at that one! All these many years later, and the concept of such a sublime practical joke never dawned on me.

I would've loved to see the zone conference at which that particular ruse was revealed!
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

I was aggreable to not having a girlfiend or a date for 2 years (18 mos. in my case), but as I look back on the adventure, it was perhaps the most un-natural requirement of the mission.

Especially when all you do is go around to peoples houses repeatedly until you get to sit down and talk with them, "in uniform," and tell them you're from a wealthy American family... things very important to securing girlfriends...but also things that I simply would never have the time for in normal life.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.