Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dwight
Teacher

Re: Jenn Kamp Files Lawsuit Against John Dehlin

Post by Dwight »

I can imagine with MoStories that John Dehlin is heavily invested, and he wants it to be what he considers good. Then he is listening to feedback, he is overextending himself and having to draw back. I can imagine that it can make for a difficult place to work. I imagine that since it involves Mormonism that it also by extension gets tangled deep in the employees too, so it's more than just a job. I don't think it is possible to protect against that, especially when it is only a handful of people. I've noticed that when I work for small companies you do get more involved and invested sometimes and it can conversely be nice to work for a large company that you have your part, but at the end of the day you can check out mentally better.

So my take is that I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'll happily reevaluate when there are some actual allegations and proof. Perhaps women in the exmo community can take it that perhaps they shouldn't get involved with the production side of Mormon Stories, perhaps John Dehlin lacks something to handle it well, and maybe it doesn't have to be criminal or actionably bad.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Kamp has posted another video, statng that after presenting to the board her complaint, without any discussion of or resolution with her of her complaint, she received notice that she was terminated. Her statement is that she was terminated as a result of that complaint, in violation of the Open Stories Foundation board's posted anti-retaliation policy.

Here is a section of the Open Stories Foundation policy, with a relevant portion highlighted.
B. ANTI-RETALIATION POLICY

I. Introduction

Open Stories Foundation strictly prohibits any form of retaliation against an employee who in good faith makes a complaint, raises a concern, provides information, or otherwise assists in an investigation or proceeding regarding any conduct that they reasonably believe to be in violation of Open Stories Foundation’s policies or applicable laws, rules, or regulations.

This policy is designed to ensure that all employees feel comfortable speaking out without fear of retaliation when they see, suspect, or have knowledge of illegal or unethical conduct or inappropriate behavior. It is also intended to encourage all employees to cooperate with Open Stories Foundation in the internal investigation of any matter by providing honest, truthful, and complete information without fear of retaliation.

II. Prohibition Against Retaliation

No employee should be discharged, demoted, suspended, threatened, harassed, intimidated, coerced, or retaliated against in any other manner as a result of their making a good faith complaint,

or assisting in the handling or investigation of a complaint, that an Open Stories Foundation policy or an applicable law, rule, or regulation has been violated.

Employees who in good faith make a complaint or participate in an investigation or proceeding under this policy, however, remain subject to the same standards of performance and conduct as other employees.

Open Stories Foundation prohibits retaliation against employees even if their complaints are proven unfounded by an investigation. An employee who has knowingly made a false allegation, provided false or misleading information in the course of an investigation, or otherwise acted in bad faith will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment. Employees have an obligation to participate in good faith in any internal investigation of retaliation.

https://www.openstoriesfoundation.org/with ... dation.pdf
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Does Jenn Kamp mention Open Stories Foundation did investigate her complaint, found it not made in good faith, and then tried to contact her by phone on three separate occasions to discuss it with her (phone calls she refused to return) before Open Stories Foundation sent her the email letting her go?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:42 pm
Does Jenn Kamp mention Open Stories Foundation did investigate her complaint, found it not made in good faith, and then tried to contact her by phone on three separate occasions to discuss it with her (phone calls she refused to return) before Open Stories Foundation sent her the email letting her go?
Well, that is certainly important information for the Shades Court to ponder.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:05 pm
Kamp has posted another video, statng that after presenting to the board her complaint, without any discussion of or resolution with her of her complaint, she received notice that she was terminated. Her statement is that she was terminated as a result of that complaint, in violation of the Open Stories Foundation board's posted anti-retaliation policy.

Here is a section of the Open Stories Foundation policy, with a relevant portion highlighted.
B. ANTI-RETALIATION POLICY

I. Introduction

Open Stories Foundation strictly prohibits any form of retaliation against an employee who in good faith makes a complaint, raises a concern, provides information, or otherwise assists in an investigation or proceeding regarding any conduct that they reasonably believe to be in violation of Open Stories Foundation’s policies or applicable laws, rules, or regulations.

This policy is designed to ensure that all employees feel comfortable speaking out without fear of retaliation when they see, suspect, or have knowledge of illegal or unethical conduct or inappropriate behavior. It is also intended to encourage all employees to cooperate with Open Stories Foundation in the internal investigation of any matter by providing honest, truthful, and complete information without fear of retaliation.

II. Prohibition Against Retaliation

No employee should be discharged, demoted, suspended, threatened, harassed, intimidated, coerced, or retaliated against in any other manner as a result of their making a good faith complaint,

or assisting in the handling or investigation of a complaint, that an Open Stories Foundation policy or an applicable law, rule, or regulation has been violated.

Employees who in good faith make a complaint or participate in an investigation or proceeding under this policy, however, remain subject to the same standards of performance and conduct as other employees.

Open Stories Foundation prohibits retaliation against employees even if their complaints are proven unfounded by an investigation. An employee who has knowingly made a false allegation, provided false or misleading information in the course of an investigation, or otherwise acted in bad faith will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment. Employees have an obligation to participate in good faith in any internal investigation of retaliation.

https://www.openstoriesfoundation.org/with ... dation.pdf
Hi Marcus!

Do you have a link to this other video Jenn Kamp posted?

It will be helpful to Open Stories Foundation in the lawsuit I think.

I can’t find it on YouTube.
toon
Valiant A

Post by toon »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:42 pm
You seem to have some inside information here and a willingness to at least selectively disclose some of it.

Did OSG engage a relatively independent investigator? Or was it done in-house or with some friendly party. If an employee things that the investigation may be a sham, it’s certainly understandable why she may not cooperate.

Was there some prior disciplinary action in the works that predated her complaint? Is there a record of that?

What were the reasons for termination? What evidence do you have that her complaint was in bad faith? Remember, being wrong on the facts and the law doesn’t equate bad faith.

Do you have an attorney-client privileged relationship with OSC? If not, then given your hints at inside information, you’d be on my discovery list.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

All good questions but none I am willing to go into on a public forum.

When the facts do come out, I expect many may be shocked at the disparity with the Jenn Kamp they think they know.

I know I was.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Sorry for not posting the link to her video, I am usually better at that!!

Heres what was posted on the exmo reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SAWM-YJwaQ

My recollection from the video is she says meeting was on the 30th, she provided written documentation of complaint, then on the 2nd sept, she received a termination notice. She says she had no communication from the board (If I recall correctly from the video transcript), after she filed her complaint, other than that notice.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Thank you, Marcus!

I am afraid the facts will demonstrate Jenn Kamp is not a reliable narrator.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I just checked out the link you provided. It looks to be the same podcast that she posted on her YouTube channel 3 days ago. This is the podcast where she has been busy deleting anything negative or critical or questioning or challenging to her position. I have not posted there, but I do know that on Sunday night when I went to bed there were 90 comments on her YouTube podcast. When I woke up Monday morning, there were only 30, and the 30 that remained were all uniformly positive to her.

I have it on good authority that the proprietor of OTBT has been busy deleting unfavorable comments, and banning the people who posted them. I hasten to add that is completely their right to delete comments and ban commenters as they wish, but I mention it here only to give a fuller representation of what is going on than what might be apparent to the casual observer. Thanks again for providing the link!