Website Discussion

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_keene
_Emeritus

Website Discussion

Post by _keene »

This is an example post in your phpBB 2 installation. You may delete this post, this topic and even this forum if you like since everything seems to be working!
_Negative
_Emeritus

Post by _Negative »

I'm so sorry for the screw up Keene. Thanks for saving our bacon! I owe you one.

To everyone else. That was completely my fault. I was trying to restore an old copy of the forums and forgot to account for the updates since the backup was made. The backup is so old (Feb 06) that it really isn't worth loading it up so we'll just start from scrach.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

To all users & lurkers:

Thank you for your patience and your interest in MormonDiscussions.com! Keene has lots of goodies for us on the horizon, so stay tuned.

In the meantime, I hope you like our new & improved forum layout and rank structuring.

As always, we're open to suggestions. Enjoy your stay!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:To all users & lurkers:

Thank you for your patience and your interest in MormonDiscussions.com! Keene has lots of goodies for us on the horizon, so stay tuned.

In the meantime, I hope you like our new & improved forum layout and rank structuring.

Oh good! I have a few ideas....

1. Install a threaded view
2. There needs to be a huge banner that reads "Mormon Discussions Forums".
(It looks like the board is called "Our Community")
3. We could use a threaded view
4. There should be a separate forum to discuss things like this/admin stuff
5. A threaded view would be helpful
6. How about a forum for FAIR Exit Stories?
7. Wouldn't a threaded view be nice?
8. The smilies are not working (minor issue)
9. I wonder if admin has given any thought to a threaded view?

Other than those few suggestions, this threaded view-less board looks GREAT!!!

Jersey Girl
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

I'm really kicking myself now for not archiving more of the past threads than I did. I wish I had some of Kevin Graham's threads on the Book of Abraham and KEP back among some other threads.

Is there any chance of recreating an archive of past threads?
_Negative
_Emeritus

Post by _Negative »

Unfortunately I was the keeper of the forum backup. I had it on 2 computers. Somehow I managed to have both computers fry on me within a week of each other. I had a backup on disk but it was really old (Feb) and when I tried to load it I caused the forums to crash. I guess we're starting from scratch.

On the bright side we have a much better system in place now so we shouldn't have the issues we had on the old forum.
_MarkF
_Emeritus

Backup? See Google

Post by _MarkF »

Wotcha, and welcome back, glad to see the URL is up.

For anyone interested in a backup of old posts (e.g. Swamp Thing by Beastie), then Google has a reasonable cache, but because the robots.txt that assists Google to index phpBB Forums wasn't incorporated, Google restricted its cache interest, as it cached each Thread (viewtopic.php?t=...) via each individual post (viewtopic.php?p=...) on that Thread, and 2x caches divided Google's interest; mormondiscussions.com and www.mormondiscussions.com so you might get lucky, punk. However, even Google's cache needs phpbb/templates/DAJ_Glass/DAJ_Glass.css and phpbb/templates/DAJ_Glass/images/... to be restored.

Negative, you might also wish to add the following into your .htaccess file and this also avoids coupling RedirectMatch with its usual wild-cards:

RedirectMatch 301 ^/$ http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/index.php
RedirectMatch 301 ^/index\.html$ http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/index.php

Any chance of your including the classical phpBB "subSilver" style under Profile options, as its current "Aphrodite" style is too washed on my tired eyes.
_keene
_Emeritus

Post by _keene »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:To all users & lurkers:

Oh good! I have a few ideas....

1. Install a threaded view
2. There needs to be a huge banner that reads "Mormon Discussions Forums".
(It looks like the board is called "Our Community")
3. We could use a threaded view
4. There should be a separate forum to discuss things like this/admin stuff
5. A threaded view would be helpful
6. How about a forum for FAIR Exit Stories?
7. Wouldn't a threaded view be nice?
8. The smilies are not working (minor issue)
9. I wonder if admin has given any thought to a threaded view?

Other than those few suggestions, this threaded view-less board looks GREAT!!!

Jersey Girl

1.) Threaded view costs $160 (or $80 for a 1 year licence) If you wanna pay, I'll install it. Otherwise, you're waiting for the advertizing revenue to start coming in.
2.) Already made, I'm just waiting on some other features before I upload it, such as the ability for every member to start there own blog@mormondiscussions
3.) I'll gladly take donations, paypal to keenemaverick@gmail.com
4.) This/admin stuff should be e-mailed to me directly, keenemaverick+mormondiscussions@gmail.com
5.) Prostitution is a great way to make money, but I'm not nearly attractive enough for it
6.) Although this forum in the past has been a "recovery from fair" or from other forums, I want it to become it's own standing forum -- I want to become the number 1, which means eventually we gotta stop picking up the crumbs the others leave behind, but instead reach up on the table and grab the loaf. A fair exit forum would detract from that, but thanks very much for the feedback.
7.) Money money money money.... MONEY!
8.) Yeah, somehow the smiley pack got corrupted -- I'll be fixing that with the blog and banner upload. I'll probably put in something more customized to us as well. Maybe I can find a jesus smiley pack or something.
9.) Look for the paypal donate button on the front page after the next upload (which I believe will be coming this evening around 3-4am. The design is done, I just have a few tiny bugs to work out before it goes live.)

by the way, expect some small downtime in the wee hours of the morning while I make the upload -- shouldn't be down for more than an hour, and nothing will be lost.
_Negative
_Emeritus

Re: Backup? See Google

Post by _Negative »

MarkF wrote:
Negative, you might also wish to add the following into your .htaccess file and this also avoids coupling RedirectMatch with its usual wild-cards:

I've had all admin duties taken away from me. There really isn't any reason for me to be here anymore. Talk to Keene about any issues you have.

Sorry.
_keene
_Emeritus

Re: Backup? See Google

Post by _keene »

Negative wrote:
MarkF wrote:

I've had all admin duties taken away from me. There really isn't any reason for me to be here anymore. Talk to Keene about any issues you have.

Sorry.

Hey now, negative, I still need you! We need a moderator, and I need someone to read the forums and tell me what they want. Things like that would be perfect to forward in my direction.