Is Mormonism still relevant in FORMER members lives'?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Nortinski
_Emeritus

Is Mormonism still relevant in FORMER members lives'?

Post by _Nortinski »

The more time that passes since I've escaped the cult the less I care about said cult. I get e-mails from people asking me when I'm going to update my website and/or when am I going to do another podcast. Once in a while I am brutally honest with them and just reply with, "When I start to give a damn again." It's true, I just don't care anymore.

*sigh*

I want to care, really I do. I've helped 124 people (that I know of for sure) discover the truth about the cult. There could very well be hundreds more. But, I find myself thinking about Mormonism and wanting to update my website less and less. Does this mean that I've officially "recovered"? Just a year ago I was still upset about being bannished from RfM for life for the "crime" of being "an activist". Now, truth be told, I don't even remember the last time that I even looked at RfM, let alone posted there anonymously. I'm a bit embarassed to say that I can't even recall their URL off the top of my head. Does it end with .org or .com? I dunno. Hell, I didn't even attend the Exmo Conference this year (with the exception of a brief visit to the hospitality suite to meet some friends before going to a party). There was just a serious lack of desire on my part. Ironically I was told that a guy got up during the testimonkey meeting and mentioned me by name and my wesite as being instrumental in his escape from the cult. I later met him and his wife and it seems we had a mission companion in common that thought I was a pretty damn good Mormon apologist. I'm told my former companion went on and on about my knowledge of anti-Mormon stuff. Needless to say, when the guy later discovered (through the Mission Home Page of all places) that I had left the cult he was shocked and read my website to find out how/why. He left soon afterwards.

The cryin' shame with my almost total disinterest in all things Mormon is the fact that I am really good at very few things. Educating people about Mormonism is one of those few things. But, I just can't muster the desire to debate with total strangers through countless e-mails about the how's and why's that prove that Joey Smith was a lying bastard. Is there a cure for this "problem"? Would I take the "cure" if there was? I'm not so sure I would.

Then again, I recall fondly the look in another persons eyes when the fact that they are in a cult finally clicks. I remember how it felt when it "clicked" in my own head. I love that I have helped so many people remove the blinders and see the truth. But, it all still comes back to the fact that I just have no desire to deal with Mormonism anymore.

However, I'm happy to report, there is one teensy little exception to my almost total lack of interest in Mormonism. I still have an huge desire to get the temple endowment, filmed inside an actual temple with a hidden camera, posted online. On the slim chance the dolts in Cult Security see this post, I just want to make one thing clear: It will happen. There's not a damned thing you can do about it. When (not if) it happens, I firmly believe that it will prevent thousands, maybe tens of thousands of people over the next decade or two from joining your crappy little cult. When some poor schmuck in Ohio tells his Aunt Delores that he's having the Mormon missionaries over for their "discussions" she's going to e-mail him a link to the STILL creepy temple endowment filmed with a hidden camera inside an actual functioning Mormon temple. How many potential converts will tell the missionaries, "Thanks but no thanks" when they see that creepy s*** online?

When you see the temple endowment on youtube (and a few hundred other websites around the world) you can call it Mike Norton's reverse tithing. I just want to help ten percent of your members see the truth and escape.

Nort
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Hi Mike! Glad you made it over here.

I fully understand your lack of desire to do the whole Mormon thing. It hit me, too, so I can sympathize. I think you're just getting tired of going through the same old conversations time and again.

In my case, I wound up putting an FAQ on my site to potential e-mailers which answer 99% of their questions in advance. I was hearing the same things over and over, so why not?

When it comes to conferences, symposia, conventions, etc., I'm done with those, too. Such gatherings are a big help to many, but in my case, I have the whole "been there, done that" mentality.

My remaining involvement with Mormonism will be left strictly to message boards such as this. With message boards, I can log in or out and respond (or not respond) as I please. I don't have to physically go anywhere.

BUT TO ANSWER YOUR STATED QUESTION, I think Mormonism is only relevant to ex-Mormons' lives when they have family members--especially immediate family members--still in it or when they live in a state whose politicians are predominantly Mormon. I'd say the unfair mud-slinging you endured during your political campaign is reminder enough of that.
_msnobody
_Emeritus

Post by _msnobody »

Hey Nort, your name came up in conversation last night. Folks wondering what ever happened to you. :- )
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Nort, no, you haven't recovered. But some signs are looking promising. If you and Paul Osborne ever got together I think it would be a cockfight to the death. Must be something about human nature, and has nothing at all to do with religion. In your state of mind the best thing you could do with Mormonism is to forget about it. Go fishing.
_GivingWarAChance
_Emeritus

Post by _GivingWarAChance »

Well. Who cares? Certainly not me.
_neworder
_Emeritus

Post by _neworder »

I have been hearing about this hidden camera in the temple thing for a while now. Does it Exist? If it does, why is it not "out there".

Inquiring Minds Want to Know
_Nortinski
_Emeritus

Post by _Nortinski »

neworder wrote:I have been hearing about this hidden camera in the temple thing for a while now. Does it Exist? If it does, why is it not "out there".

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. I'm not prepared for a murder charge right now.

Nort
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

I hope you catch someone picking their nose or fornicating, then you could blackmail the Mormons and become very rich.
You know capitalism rules.
But I would love to see what really happens inside the "temple."
Thank heavens I don't have to worry because I would not be caught dead in their "temple."
LOL
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

coffeecat wrote:I hope you catch someone picking their nose or fornicating, then you could blackmail the Mormons and become very rich. You know capitalism rules.

Huh? I don't see what you're getting at here.
_GivingWarAChance
_Emeritus

Post by _GivingWarAChance »

Dr. Shades wrote:
coffeecat wrote:I hope you catch someone picking their nose or fornicating, then you could blackmail the Mormons and become very rich. You know capitalism rules.

Huh? I don't see what you're getting at here.

1. Nortinski sneaks camera into temple.
2. Camera catches someone picking their nose.
3. Profit!

Advice: Don't quit your day job.