The First God

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_nick in hyrum
_Emeritus

The First God

Post by _nick in hyrum »

Mormon doctrine (official?? maybe, but definitely water cooler Mormonism) God was like us (or like Christ) on another world and ultimately became our God, I would like to know if there is any writings on the concept of the first God. It seems from Joseph's teaching that for our present God to exist, there must have been a world created for him to grow up in first. So in this case, the world existed, then God. Similarly, the first of all Gods must have been born on a planet that evolved per natural selection or some such. This individual must have excelled in that planet and ultimately began the chain of Gods of which, Heavenly Father is now the God of our Universe. Are there any Mormon writings on the subject of the first god? Or what are your own thoughts on the matter?
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: The First God

Post by _harmony »

We can't even get definitive writings on our own God, let alone the First God. Even Pres Hinckley doesn't konw what we teach about eternal progression, and if anyone should know, it's him!
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

There never was a first God. Our Father has an infiinte number of Fathers who came before him. This works on the same principle that there are an infinite number of Gods to come into existence (out of Father's loins) in which there never will be a last Father. Eternity future is no different than eternity past because they are just as long - eternal. To the natural man it makes no sense to think that there is no first Father but this is because the natural man is mortal, earthbound, and ignorant of divine eternal principles. Except for me, of course. I know better. Ain't that right, harmony, dear?

Paul O
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

We can't even get definitive writings on our own God, let alone the First God. Even Pres Hinckley doesn't konw what we teach about eternal progression, and if anyone should know, it's him!

Oh harmony, he is playing the press through carefully selected words and being wise like a serpent and harmless as a dove. Don't you get that? President Hinckley knows that God has a Father. He knows it has been taught and that it is established doctrine.

Paul O
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Paul Osborne wrote:There never was a first God. Our Father has an infiinte number of Fathers who came before him. This works on the same principle that there are an infinite number of Gods to come into existence (out of Father's loins) in which there never will be a last Father. Eternity future is no different than eternity past because they are just as long - eternal. To the natural man it makes no sense to think that there is no first Father but this is because the natural man is mortal, earthbound, and ignorant of divine eternal principles. Except for me, of course. I know better. Ain't that right, harmony, dear?

Paul O

Are you saying that there is no first cause? Trying to understand.

Jersey Girl
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Jersey,

There never was a first time, period. Our Father knows everything from here to eternity future. He sees and comprehends the endless spirits that will come forth from his loins and the loins of his children. Now, the Father’s Father also sees and comprehends the same – as does his Father, and his Father, and so on back into eternity.

All of us are eternal intelligences because we have been known in the minds of the Gods forever past. There never was a time when we were not known, loved, and seen. For the Gods, all things are as one eternal now – they see it all, forever and ever. The Fathers are caught up together as One - being infinite in number.

Paul O
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Paul Osborne wrote:

Oh harmony, he is playing the press through carefully selected words and being wise like a serpent and harmless as a dove. Don't you get that? President Hinckley knows that God has a Father. He knows it has been taught and that it is established doctrine.

Paul O
So in other words, old Gordo is lying for the lord? a.k.a. Spin doc numero uno? Squirting some milk outta the udder before giving them a hunk of the rotting bovine flesh from the same DEAD cow?

I say curelom dung! He supposedly has hot chocolate in the holy of holies in the SLC masonic temple with Jebus himself, so if THAT is true, he knows...

and ferchristsakes, the last reverlation that he received was what? To build the great and spacious TV studio, the one with the podium made from the stupid tree in his yard... I guess that's his woodie.

As TSCC continues to attempt to enter the flowing stream of Christianity, they are finding that most do not like peculiar, therefore they are slowly but surely stripping off the "peculiarities".

that's all Christianity needs is a another BORING church!
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Polygamy Porter,

Your sayings are on par with the filth that came out of the demon possessed girl on the Exorcist. You are possessed by an evil spirit.

Get out of the celestial forum, you wicked fiend from hell!

Paul O
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Paul Osborne wrote:

Paul O

Well, there's a problem with that, Paul. If we do indeed have the truth of all things (of which eternal progression is one), then why hide it? why play fast and loose with the truth? Why not proclaim it to the rooftops? Why hide our light under a bushel? There should never be a time when the prophet feels obligated to lie. The Lord's truth needs no lies, no prevarication, no PR! Get up and shout "Yes, it is true that God was once a man, and YES, we teach that! Let me show you how you too can become a god!" Why be ashamed of what we teach? Why prevaricate? Why play the press? Why play anyone? Don't we have the truth? Are we ashamed of the truth????
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

harmony,

The President of the Church is responsible for how the Church will be represented on the highest level of public discourse. I really can’t speak for the prophet as to why he crafted his words in order to slip away from the question at hand but I feel it was an effort to avoid the noise uttered on housetops. Probably the press would have had a field day and front page news would spoil many opportunities for the missionaries to enter into the homes of many of the honest in heart. The deepest doctrines are not easily perceived by those who tread on shallow waters.

You will recall that even Jesus was careful in his selection of words while dealing with the scribes and those who acted as pressman. I don’t think it’s necessary to cite a specific example – Jesus of Nazareth chose his words carefully. He needed to perform his ministry and that took three years. Had he been too outspoken in the beginning they may have killed him earlier – but as it was no one had power over the Son of Man except those to whom he granted.

I don’t have all the answers. However, I do know in my heart that Gordon B. Hinckley is ministering by the Spirit according to God’s design.

Paul O