Tal Bachman DECIMATES a popular apologetic

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Eh. I'm not so sure about the term "lynched." While I understand and agree that, technically speaking, it can refer to the results of mob activity, I think that, idiomatically speaking, "shot" or "murdered" or "martyred" is more accurate. The word "lynch" just conjures up too much racist imagery, in my opinion.
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Mister Scratch wrote:Null! I thought that was you. It was the "you guys just talk about FAIR!" comment that clued me in. Welcome! I bet you never thought you'd see me say this, but I missed you, old friend.

Thank you! And, once again, Rollo caught me on the details I am too lazy to look up for myself!

Plutarch
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Mister Scratch wrote:Eh. I'm not so sure about the term "lynched." While I understand and agree that, technically speaking, it can refer to the results of mob activity, I think that, idiomatically speaking, "shot" or "murdered" or "martyred" is more accurate. The word "lynch" just conjures up too much racist imagery, in my opinion.

Just google Joseph Smith lynched. It is a common grouping of words.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Plutarch wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:Eh. I'm not so sure about the term "lynched." While I understand and agree that, technically speaking, it can refer to the results of mob activity, I think that, idiomatically speaking, "shot" or "murdered" or "martyred" is more accurate. The word "lynch" just conjures up too much racist imagery, in my opinion.

Just google Joseph Smith lynched. It is a common grouping of words.

Yes, I agree that it is indeed used commonly enough. But, in my opinion, the other words are better/more accurate due to the fact that they are not freighted with the same racist connotation as the word "lynched."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I think the point of justice now being meted out in a less lawless manner is well taken. As far a whether one point in time is more moral than another is hard to say. There are different types of lawbreaking now than there was then. However lawbreaking and/or unethical conduct existed in both time periods. I have always thought the espousal of declining morals had something either to do with selling more waffle irons or else served as padding for sermon topics.

Had Joseph been arrested today, he would not have had any worry of lynch mobs. Perhaps the trial of Warren Jeff will be indicative of the type of treatment he would have received.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Tal Bachman DECIMATES a popular apologetic

Post by _Jason Bourne »

harmony wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:
harmony wrote:And incidently, Joseph was shot while trying to escape, not lynched.

Huh? Joseph didn't "try to escape" until a mob invaded the jail and shot at him and killed his brother. And, technically, Joseph was "lynched" (usually refers to a hanging, but can be applied to any form of mob justice where there is no due process of law, such as in Carthage).

I thought Lynched = hanged illegally. If that's not so, just disregard what I said.

uhh what about your trying to escape botch?

Jason
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Are not getting caught up in the semantics of the words here???
Like Lynched??

And the word does bring up to many racial images and have we not learned from our past yet, MR BOURNE.
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Jason Bourne wrote:
harmony wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:
harmony wrote:And incidently, Joseph was shot while trying to escape, not lynched.

Huh? Joseph didn't "try to escape" until a mob invaded the jail and shot at him and killed his brother. And, technically, Joseph was "lynched" (usually refers to a hanging, but can be applied to any form of mob justice where there is no due process of law, such as in Carthage).

I thought Lynched = hanged illegally. If that's not so, just disregard what I said.

uhh what about your trying to escape botch?

Jason

Joseph was outside of the jail, having flung himself out the window. You can call it what you want, but I'm sure a case can be made that he was shot while trying to escape. Which is why I have a hard time with anyone who says he died a martyr. Martyrs aren't shot while trying to escape.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

coffeecat wrote:Are not getting caught up in the semantics of the words here???
Like Lynched??

And the word does bring up to many racial images and have we not learned from our past yet, MR BOURNE.

While it could bring up racial images, lynch mobs have been known to lynch all races. This lynching as well
as many others had an equal opportunity quality about them.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

harmony wrote:Joseph was outside of the jail, having flung himself out the window. You can call it what you want, but I'm sure a case can be made that he was shot while trying to escape. Which is why I have a hard time with anyone who says he died a martyr. Martyrs aren't shot while trying to escape.

I have to disagree with you on this one, Harmony. He was shot before (and after) he fell out the window. Yes, Joseph was trying to "escape" a mob intent on murdering him, but I view his actions as a typical human survival instinct. I just don't see any connection between what Joseph did and the more typical prison break (like portrayed by the "Andy Dufresne" character in "Shawshank Redemption" or Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke" -- yes, I'm a movie lover!). I'm not sure I like the word "martyr," either, but he was definitely murdered without justification or due process, in my opinion.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)