Ted Haggard's Hypocrisy.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Jersey Girl wrote:Ray,

Thank you for posting his message. What are is your impression of his statement?

Jersey Girl

It's an extraordinary and honest confession and request for forgiveness. If he had continued with any deception the criticisms would have justifiably continued as well, but I think it's hard to naysay a statement like that. Still, if he hadn't been exposed he would most likely not have owned up, which is why he probably thanked his accuser. His prolonged battles with temptation is something I think most believers who try to live according to the scriptures would relate to. Periods of success and failure, and finally abandonment, acceptance, and living a dual life. It could also be a lesson - if you can't live what you believe and teach, then don't lecture others while privately forgiving yourself for personal transgressions, but not others. He should have said nothing about homosexuality, but then, how could he not in his position? This may make him a more merciful person, hopefully, and much of that arrogance and pride will no longer show, and there's no question in my mind it was there in the Dawkins interview. Whether he can sustain this change is his next battle, but maybe he will have more empathy for people with the same urges, regardless of whether it's hetero or homo sexuality. His hypocrisy was in not recognising this, and in self-righteously condemning others with the same urges but who didn't hide under the veneer of religion, and this is why Mike Jones exposed him. He thought it was hypocritcal.
I think Haggard had better find out what sort of lifestyle he really wants to live, and doesn't return to this maddening and hypocritical duality.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Gayle Haggard's statement:

November 5, 2006

Dear Women of New Life Church,

I am so sorry for the circumstances that have led me to write this letter to you today. I

know your hearts are broken; mine is as well. Yet my hope rests steadfastly in the Lord

who is forever faithful.

What I want you to know is that I love my husband, Ted Haggard, with all my heart. I am

committed to him until death “do us part.” We started this journey together and with the

grace of God, we will finish together.

If I were standing before you today, I would not change one iota of what I have been

teaching the women of our church. For those of you who have been concerned that my

marriage was so perfect I could not possibly relate to the women who are facing great

difficulties, know that this will never again be the case. My test has begun; watch me. I

will try to prove myself faithful.

I love you all so much, especially you young women—you were my delight.

To all the church family of new Life Church—Ted and I are so proud of you. You are all

we hoped you would be. In our minds, there is no greater church.

As you try to make sense of these past few days, know that Ted believes with all his heart

and soul everything he has ever taught you, those things you are putting into practice. He

is now the visible and public evidence that every man (woman and child) needs a Savior.

We are grateful for your prayers for our family.

I hold you forever in my heart,

Gayle Haggard
_RAJ
_Emeritus

Haggard's Sermon Last Sunday

Post by _RAJ »

Listen to it here:

http://video.newlifechurch.org/nlc/0610 ... se_You.mp3

Quote:

"Heavenly Father give us grace and mercy, help us this next week and a half as we go into national elections and Lord we pray for our country. Father we pray lies would be exposed and deception exposed. Father we pray that wisdom would come upon our electorate ..."
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Haggard's Sermon Last Sunday

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Well while I do not want to condemd this fellow I wonder if all the evangelical critics can be as merciful towards Joseph Smith for his plural marriage activity. Come on EVs!!! This dude was leader of a group of 30 million of ya all!!!!!!!!!!

Jason
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

According to you JASON no, so why are you even asking our opinions???

HMMMMMM?????

How many did Joseph Smith lead????

And don't you dare quote the numbers from Joseph Smith's time!!!!!!

cause we will blast you out of the water!!!!!

Fair warning now......
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Jason Bourne wrote:Well while I do not want to condemd this fellow I wonder if all the evangelical critics can be as merciful towards Joseph Smith for his plural marriage activity. Come on EVs!!! This dude was leader of a group of 30 million of ya all!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

Hmmm. I think this Haggard guy asked for forgiveness. To my knowledge, Joseph never did, did he?

I can be merciful to Joseph. I think what he did behind Emma's back was reprehensible, but I believe in forgiving.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Runtu wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:Well while I do not want to condemd this fellow I wonder if all the evangelical critics can be as merciful towards Joseph Smith for his plural marriage activity. Come on EVs!!! This dude was leader of a group of 30 million of ya all!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

Hmmm. I think this Haggard guy asked for forgiveness. To my knowledge, Joseph never did, did he?

I can be merciful to Joseph. I think what he did behind Emma's back was reprehensible, but I believe in forgiving.

Yes he did and no he did not!!!!
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Nortinski writes:

Nortinski wrote:Ray, I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm certainly not Admin here. I just like to point things like this out before it turns into a free-for-all around here. This is a forum for Mormon related things. This meth head turd has nothing to do with the Mormon cult.

Then Ray A responds:

Ray A wrote:Can you tell me where in any of the rules it says to not discuss anything but Mormonism? Shades might want to rectify this, or clarify this. When I began this thread I knew, inevitably, that the subject of Mormonism would arise.

Oh, I'd say that as long as a thread is at least tangentally related to Mormonism or has a strong potential to become so, then it's okay to post it here.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

According to you JASON no, so why are you even asking our opinions???

Come again. As usual you are not coherent here.

HMMMMMM?????

Are you humming to some tune?

How many did Joseph Smith lead????

I am not sure. Not 30 million.

And don't you dare quote the numbers from Joseph Smith's time!!!!!!

Why?

cause we will blast you out of the water!!!!!

Bwaaaahahahaha!!! I am really worried.

Fair warning now......

Well gee golly whizzzzz! Thanks.

Jason
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Hmmm. I think this Haggard guy asked for forgiveness.

I don't know. He may have. A mob killed him first though.

To my knowledge, Joseph never did, did he?

According to William Marks he regretted polygamy and was planning to do away with it.

Well I am just wondering if evangelical critics will be as harsh with Haggard as they are with Joseph.

Jason