Mister Scratch, a word with you please

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Mister Scratch, a word with you please

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Mister Scratch,

ZLMB was recently hit with an influx of "new" posters protesting your blog material. According to them it is wrong for you to post the real names of certain posters in your blog.

Your comments?

Jersey Girl
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

I see no actuall real names on his blog.
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

coffeecat wrote:I see no actuall real names on his blog.

There are several actual real names on his blog, all of which the posters themselves either use as their posting names or have publically given out at various times.

For example, Daniel C Peterson, PhD, William Hamblin, PhD, Allen Wyatt, William Schryver, Kevin C Hill, Kevin Barney, Kevin Christiansen, Ben McGuire, David Waltz and several others have all used their real names on the internet on various boards. If they've used their names in the past, they are fair game on the boards now. However, if a poster has consistently used a nickname, posting their real name is considered bad form and is cause for banning on some boards.

[edited to remove names per Mr Scratch's example]
Last edited by Yahoo MMCrawler [Bot] on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Smac posted a comment (which I deleted---more on this later) on the blog in which he accused me of being a hypocrite for criticizing Bill Hamblin's posting of CKSalmon's in real life identity, despite the fact that I have the real names of people on the blog. Those whose real names are mentioned include: Pahoran; juliann; DCP; Hamblin; John Lynch; and Will Schryver. The only one that really merits much further debate is Pahoran (and perhaps juliann). All of the other people post using the names exactly as they are listed on the blog. As for Pahoran, I will happily remove his real name if he wants me to. As for juliann, I will remove that too, if she so desires, though I hardly think it's a secret who she is. Her repeated mentions of her attendance at CGU make it very, very easy to determine her in real life identity.

As for the accusation leveled by Smac, I do feel that he makes a good point, and as I've said, if either Pahoran or juliann want me to take out their full names, I will gladly do so. No questions asked.

RE: the deletion of the comment, my feeling on this is that the blog is still in its infancy, and I'm still trying to decide what to do with the comments. I felt that Smac's comment didn't really contribute to the two chief functions of the blog: to inform, and to entertain. So, for the time being, I will let comments stand for a bit, and then either integrate them into the blog or delete them.

Finally, what gives with these people on ZLMB? Don't they know that they are more than welcome to come on over here and discuss?

Anyhow, thank you for the "heads up," Jersey Girl.

Edited to add: As a gesture of good will, I have gone ahead and removed the juliann and Pahoran stuff. Really: the blog is intended to be informative and entertaining. If anyone has major problems with it, and is really upset, I want s/he to know that I'm all ears, and will be happy to discuss.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

So what's up with the self-censorship before I ever had a chance to read it? Taking out their two most voracious attackers from the mix will only lead to a watered down compendium when it is finished. Most people who have ever posted anything controversial will have been attacked by this duo, so eliminating them seems wrong - as wrong as FAIR eliminating those who they disagree with. Can't you take that analogy and use it for justification for reinserting their profiles?

Can you guess I am feeling hurt by being eliminated by them?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

moksha wrote:So what's up with the self-censorship before I ever had a chance to read it? Taking out their two most voracious attackers from the mix will only lead to a watered down compendium when it is finished. Most people who have ever posted anything controversial will have been attacked by this duo, so eliminating them seems wrong - as wrong as FAIR eliminating those who they disagree with. Can't you take that analogy and use it for justification for reinserting their profiles?

Can you guess I am feeling hurt by being eliminated by them?

No, no! The profiles are still there, Moksha. : ) Click on the "back" portion of the blog in order to read them. (I wonder if there is a way to tinker with the blog to make it easier to access all of the dossiers. I am still rather new to bloggin.) for what it's worth, I would never, ever eliminate the dossiers of juliann and Pahoran from the Guide: they are too crucial to understanding FAIR. All I did was eliminate mention of their in real life names, since that was clearly upsetting some people. But the profiles themselves are still there. Enjoy!

by the way: that was pretty low of them to ban you, of all people, Moksha. Their loss is obviously
our gain.

Edited to add: Another way to access the full range of the blog is to click on the "weblog news" link at the top of the page. From there, scroll down below the "latest entries" section to see that there are four pages' worth of material.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Mister Scratch wrote:Smac posted a comment (which I deleted---more on this later) on the blog in which he accused me of being a hypocrite for criticizing Bill Hamblin's posting of CKSalmon's in real life identity, despite the fact that I have the real names of people on the blog.

Goodnightshirt. Smac posted here? Can Armageddon be far behind?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Thanks Scratch, I found them and read them and now I understand some of the folks there better. There are many others I have wondered about as well: Brent Metcalf, Rollo Tomasi, Kevin Graham, Paul Osbourn, David Bokovoy (sorry for any misspelled names), Wade Englund, Scott Lloyd and others.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

moksha wrote:Thanks Scratch, I found them and read them and now I understand some of the folks there better. There are many others I have wondered about as well: Brent Metcalf, Rollo Tomasi, Kevin Graham, Paul Osbourn, David Bokovoy (sorry for any misspelled names), Wade Englund, Scott Lloyd and others.

No problem, Moksha. I will get to these people eventually. The blog, after all, is a work in progress! A few of these posters have been banned from the ironically named FAIRboard, however, and I haven't yet decided how I am going to treat that. But Rollo and Kevin are indispensible in terms of getting a holistic picture of FAIR, though, so you can guarantee that they (along with everyone else you mentioned) will eventually get dossiers.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Mister Scratch asks: Finally, what gives with these people on ZLMB? Don't they know that they are more than welcome to come on over here and discuss?

Jersey Girl: I don't know what gives with them...I checked there and there are now more "new" posters there. Also, what looks like a mod...but I don't think it's a mod posting on the same thread. Don't ask me what it's about!