From "True Doctrine" in the Celestial Forum

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Gazelam wrote:Porter,

How is it that it took you 38 years of being raised in the church before you found out about polygamy? In all your classes at church no one ever cracked open sec. 132?
We did but only very choice and select portions of it.

Did you serve a mission? I guess if it took that long to find out about polygamy probably not.
Hell no, glad I did not. I have two brothers that did, but they are no longer in TSCC either, nor their families, thanks to my unconverting ways(cue evil laughter).
What brings you to a Mormon discussion board if you have no belief in God?
To mess with people like you. While enjoying the company of good friends like Nort, Shades, Rollo, etc..
What do you feel you gain in discussing these things?
A good laugh and keeps me in the loop on juicy tidbits to toss at my TBM relatives and members of the local ward.

I did not serve a mission, but I am on one now. When the Mormons stop sending their high pressure sales teams to the doors of my neighbors, I will stop spewing my anti-mormon rhetoric. Deal?
I just have a hard time understanding someone that sees no purpose in life. Or maybe you do. What do you see is the purpose of life?
Purpose of life is to live, love, learn, explore.

Life is a one time roller coaster ride. Don't spend the entire time looking down at your feet and worrying about the exit, otherwise you will have missed the entire experience.
Last edited by Ask Jeeves [Bot] on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Porter: Life is a one time roller coaster ride. Don't spend the entire time looking down at your feet and worrying about the exit, otherwise you will have missed the entire experience.

I like that, and in truth it is a true principle. The church does not exist to make people miserable. If they are doing as the phrase states and spending your time with their head down and worrying, their sinning. There has to be a balance. The desire is that man might have Joy, that man might live "after a manner of happiness"

This type of teaching that brings this type of life, is there to prepare us for what is to come.

Is it your belief that when your dead, that's it?

What are we doing all of this living, loveing, learning, and exploring for?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

I have no idea what happens when we die, but I'm quite certain it's not going to involve getting my temple robes on and doing the signs and tokens. I hope there is an afterlife, but it doesn't bother me to consider that this life might be all there is.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Gazelam wrote:Blah blah blather blather yadda yadda bleh bleh blah SNIP!

This type of teaching that brings this type of life, is there to prepare us for what is to come.
Why not live life for when you are alive and not dead?

Is it your belief that when your dead, that's it?
I dunno and am not going to waste any more brain cycles thinking about it. WHAT IS THE POINT? Why spend your life preparing for something that we have no evidence of?

See that's the Mormon mindset. Instead of spending time out helping the LIVING NEEDY, lets go to the Mormon masonic house of horrors and watch a lame ass boring video for a DEAD GUY. STUPID!!!

What are we doing all of this living, loving, learning, and exploring for?
Cuz it feels good?
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

by the way, my 9 year old daughter loves Starbucks.

Starbucks rocks! :)

Why not live life for when you are alive and not dead?

I agree with you here. I honestly hope that there is an afterlife, though. There are people who have died who I miss, and I would love to see them again. I think this is the crux of why people hold onto religion so tightly...to try to make sense out of death and mourning those they have lost.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Enjoying life

Post by _Gazelam »

Porter your missing the whole point of the gospel, but I do understand where your coming from because at one time I thought about it as well.

One thing to keep in mind are a few scriptures from D&C 130

vs 2 : And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy.

The whole point of the gospel is to aquire the culture of heaven. Is heaven supposed to be miserable? Confineing? Wouldent be much of a heaven then woud it?

The other key scripture is vs 20-21 :

There is a Law irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of the world, upon which all blessings are predicated - And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

To enjoy and find happiness in the gospel you have to have the company of the Holy Ghost. That is the Law that brings the attached blessing. Live the laws that bring the Holy Ghost into your life, and youll receive the blessings attached to his company, includeing sanctification.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Re: Enjoying life

Gazelam wrote:Porter your missing the whole point of the gospel, but I do understand where your coming from because at one time I thought about it as well.

One thing to keep in mind are a few scriptures from D&C 130

vs 2 : And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy.

The whole point of the gospel is to aquire the culture of heaven. Is heaven supposed to be miserable? Confineing? Wouldent be much of a heaven then woud it?

The other key scripture is vs 20-21 :

There is a Law irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of the world, upon which all blessings are predicated - And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

To enjoy and find happiness in the gospel you have to have the company of the Holy Ghost. That is the Law that brings the attached blessing. Live the laws that bring the Holy Ghost into your life, and youll receive the blessings attached to his company, includeing sanctification.

Gaz
No thanks, I prefer thinking on my own.

Gaz, it appears you are one of those who have the need to be told what to do. Religion is for you, you need it. Good luck.