A question for the forum

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Pahoran
_Emeritus

A question for the forum

Post by _Pahoran »

I believe it was D. Michael "The Mighty" Quinn who related a story of Elder James E. Talmage attending an interfaith gathering. He attempted to speak to some of the other "Christian" participants, and they threatened to strip his clothes off him and expose his garments if he didn't leave, so he left.

Of course, I have a fairly good idea what I think about this, but what do others think? Does this reflect badly upon Elder Talmage? Do you see it as a joke on him? Do you wish he had stayed so that the threat could be carried out?

What are everyone's thoughts?

Regards,
Pahoran
_Quantumwave
_Emeritus

Post by _Quantumwave »

I have a problem believing the incident actually happened, but if it did, I believe I would have done the same thing Elder Talmage did under the described circumstances.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Strip his clothes off him? Was this a gathering of Hells Angels for Christ or something similar?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

I don't know what the answer is, but I think you should stick around Pahoran. I haven't had this much entertainment since Halley's comet in 1986.
_Yoda

Re: A question for the forum

Post by _Yoda »

Pahoran wrote:I believe it was D. Michael "The Mighty" Quinn who related a story of Elder James E. Talmage attending an interfaith gathering. He attempted to speak to some of the other "Christian" participants, and they threatened to strip his clothes off him and expose his garments if he didn't leave, so he left.

Of course, I have a fairly good idea what I think about this, but what do others think? Does this reflect badly upon Elder Talmage? Do you see it as a joke on him? Do you wish he had stayed so that the threat could be carried out?

Regards,
Pahoran

How would it reflect badly on Elder Talmage? It seems like the other Christians were being very un-Christian. I've never heard this story before, but if it's true, he certainly did the right thing by leaving.

Pahoran, I've got a question for you. What kind of answers did you expect to get on this forum? Does my answer or some of the others who have felt that Talmage did the right thing surprise you?
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Difficult to say, and I wish I knew the full context of the story. I.e., Did Talmage tell the other Christians that they were "vile" and "brazen liars" and did he call them to repentance?

I don't know, Pah. I feel like I need more information. If they were simply doing this to him to be mean, then I think that he most definitely had a right to leave. Another question: Did he simply show up and start preaching? Or had he been invited?

If you're using this story as a metaphor for yourself, then I'll say unequivocally that I'd be glad for you to stay. I hope I've made that clear all along.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Pahoran wrote:I believe it was D. Michael "The Mighty" Quinn who related a story of Elder James E. Talmage attending an interfaith gathering. He attempted to speak to some of the other "Christian" participants, and they threatened to strip his clothes off him and expose his garments if he didn't leave, so he left.

Regards,
Pahoran

Please post your sources. Because quite frankly, I'm having difficulty believing such a thing happened, and this is definitely the first time I've heard of it.
_Pahoran
_Emeritus

Post by _Pahoran »

liz3564 wrote:

Regards,
Pahoran

How would it reflect badly on Elder Talmage? It seems like the other Christians were being very un-Christian. I've never heard this story before, but if it's true, he certainly did the right thing by leaving.

Pahoran, I've got a question for you. What kind of answers did you expect to get on this forum? Does my answer or some of the others who have felt that Talmage did the right thing surprise you?

I'm unable to find my original source. If I find it I'll quote it. The story as I first saw it was spun to make Elder Talmage look like a fool.

And no, I'm not surprised by the answers I've received so far.

Regards,
Pahoran
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Pahoran wrote:
liz3564 wrote:

Regards,
Pahoran

I'm unable to find my original source. If I find it I'll quote it. The story as I first saw it was spun to make Elder Talmage look like a fool.

Well, when you find it, get back to us. I'm interested in context, the time, date, and place it happened, what else was going on at the time, and were there any police within calling distance?

In the meantime, we'll assume it's another just one of your... undocumented allegations, and give it all the scrutiny to which it is due.

And no, I'm not surprised by the answers I've received so far.

Regards,
Pahoran

Well, you haven't received much of anything but a call for references that I can see. What did you expect?
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is, have you asked the FAIRites? Or Quinn himself?

Anyway, as for me, the last thing I would want to do is see another naked or half naked Mormon, especially a male one.