Will cockroaches have Eternal Life?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Ray A

Will cockroaches have Eternal Life?

Post by _Ray A »

I'm not being facetious. But according to McConkie:

Apostle Bruce R. McConkie:

Nothing is more absolutely universal than the resurrection. Every living thing and being will be resurrected. "As in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." (1 Cor. 15:22.)....

Every "living thing", which presumably includes the streptococcus germs in your throat?

Comments?
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: Will cockroaches have Eternal Life?

Post by _asbestosman »

Ray A wrote:I'm not being facetious. But according to McConkie:

Apostle Bruce R. McConkie:

Nothing is more absolutely universal than the resurrection. Every living thing and being will be resurrected. "As in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." (1 Cor. 15:22.)....

Every "living thing", which presumably includes the streptococcus germs in your throat?

Comments?

Do viruses count? How about cancer cells?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

The First Presidency (Joseph F. Smith, John R. Winder, Anthon H. Lund):

He made the tadpole and the ape, the lion and the elephant but He did not make them in His own image, nor endow them with Godlike reason and intelligence. Nevertheless, the whole animal creation will be perfected and perpetuated in the Hereafter, each class in its 'distinct order or sphere,' and will enjoy 'eternal felicity.' That fact has been made plain in this dispensation (D&C 77:3). - Church First Presidency Message, Christmas greetings, Dec. 18, 1909

Will tadpoles evolve into frogs in the afterlife? Or do they remain tadpoles for all eternity, in eternal bliss?
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

asbestosman wrote:Do viruses count? How about cancer cells?

All viruses and cancer cells will live in eternal bliss. McConkie says so. So it must be so. After all, he says it. It's all in Mormon Doctrine. So it must be true.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

For the children: "Will robins go to heaven?"

"I can only tell you what the scriptures say about it," Daddy replied. "Usually, when we talk about the resurrection, we think of people. But the scriptures teach us that man, the earth, and all the life upon it will be resurrected, mentioning especially the beasts, the fowls of the air, and the fishes of the sea. The Savior gave His life so that everything would rise from the dead, even lizards and robins." - "Will Robins Go to Heaven?" - Church Friend, Apr. 1982, p. 39

Okay, here is the source: http://home.teleport.com/~packham/animals.htm (Thanks to Richard Packham and Deconstructor)

All emphases mine.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

What a funny thread! LOL

Wasn't it David O. McKay who said that he expected to be in the celestial kingdom, along with his favorite horse?

That's cool. I miss some of my favorite dogs that have since passed away.

What about all those fish I caught in the river next to our cabin and proceeded to gut them and eat them for breakfast?

I guess they deserve to be brought back to their former state, albeit celestialized, this time around.

Can we go fishing in heaven? And can we keep them or do we have to throw them back?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Ray...

Actually your OP idea is why the resurrection seems strange to me.

The idea of physical bodies coming back to life doesn't make sense given the fact that our bodies are really made up of material from other living things. With each breath we inhale material from virtually every other living thing who has existed on the earth (If we take a really deep breath), so what is one's physical body? And, at each moment our bodies are sloughing off material so we are constantly changing. Even the cancer that invades a body today will be different cells tomorrow... ya know?

The whole idea of a physical resurrection just doesn't work for me. Oh well...

Also, gramps.... I'm guessing that you won't be with your animals unless you are sealed to them. I mean if you will not be with your human loved ones unless a sealing takes place I highly doubt you will be with your animals. But I'm just guessing.

:-)

~dancer~
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

My dog was hit in the night. My hubby found him on the road as he went to work this morning. I'm feeling a tad blubbery right now, and opened this website to find "Do cockroaches go to heaven?" Guess what? My answer right now is an unqualified "yes". Cockroaches (and dogs) cannot sin. Thus they are given a free pass.

Or... maybe multiple mortal probations was correct, and we all start out as viruses and then move up the food chain until we're finally resurrected as people.

Or... maybe the law of Karma is right, and we're rewarded in the next life according to our deeds in this one. So if you're a good virus, you get to come back as an amoeba the next time.

*sigh*
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Ray A wrote: McConkie says so. So it must be so. After all, he says it. It's all in Mormon Doctrine. So it must be true.

In that case, it is more appropriate to refer to it as the McConkie Doctrine, since the author who makes it up usually gets the credit.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Will they all go to the Celestial Kingdom? Or will some go to the lower kingdoms? What criteria could be used to judge which kingdom they go to? Do they have to get baptized? Take out their endowments?