Will cockroaches have Eternal Life?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Who Knows wrote:Do they have to get baptized? Take out their endowments?

No, they just have to be circumcised.

I wonder how circumcision for the dead would work.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Who Knows wrote:Will they all go to the Celestial Kingdom? Or will some go to the lower kingdoms? What criteria could be used to judge which kingdom they go to? Do they have to get baptized? Take out their endowments?

They go where the sinless go.
_Ray A

Re: Will cockroaches have Eternal Life?

Post by _Ray A »

harmony wrote:My dog was hit in the night. My hubby found him on the road as he went to work this morning.

Sorry to hear about that, harmony.

The reason I started this thread is because of some flippant ideas that came into my head. I must have killed hundreds, maybe thousands of cockroaches, like most people. I squash about three a day, and usually say, "there ya go, ya bastard, one less". I can't help being flippant about this because I find the idea of resurrection a bit far fetched, like Truth Dancer.
I've also done a lot of study on near death experiences and the afterlife, and there seems to be persuasive evidence of the possibility of an afterlife. But no where in those studies have I ever come across the idea of resurrection, reincarnation yes. I must have read hundreds, if not over a thousand NDE accounts, and I haven't seen anything on resurrection. The resurrection of insects therefore makes no sense to me, which is why I was surprised to see a First Presidency Message from 1909 talking about the resurrection of tadpoles (see above). I have read NDE accounts of people seeing their departed dogs.

Anyway, for anyone interested in the concept of reincarnation, here is one link:

http://www.zeitenschrift.net/news/sne-2 ... life.ihtml

It may not necessarily be reincarnation, it could be some kind of consciousness connection. If you have an explanation for it let me know. Here is another excerpt about the case:

Jim Tucker, a child psychiatrist and medical director of the Child and Family Psychiatric Clinic at the University of Virginia, is one of the few researchers to extensively study the phenomenon of children who seem to have memories of past lives.

He says James' case is very much like others he has studied.

"At the University of Virginia, we've studied over 2,500 cases of children who seem to talk about previous lives when they're little," Tucker said. "They start at 2 or 3, and by the time they're 6 or 7 they forget all about it and go on to live the rest of their lives."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=2232830
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hey Ray..

OK, here is my best guess at the moment.

First let me say that most of the world does believe in reincarnation. I have read many, many accounts and books and believe there is some sort of phenomenon. In addition as a hypnotherapist I have facilitated past life regressions which have been extremely healing to the experiencer.

Having said that...

I have the idea that past life memories are possibly memory within our DNA.

I have really pondered the idea that with every breath we take into our body material from virtually every life form that has existed on our planet. This material is brought into our form and creates us anew. Could it be that somewhere within this sharing of matter/energy we also can glimpse memory of those who have existed prior to our experience?

We don't really know much about DNA yet... but somehow within our DNA all the hardwiring exists in life, and the ability to create and imagine exists as well. Somehow it seems we must share more than the material we can measure which may be in the form of memory or experience.

Just contemplating with you!!! :-)

~dancer~
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

truth dancer wrote:I have the idea that past life memories are possibly memory within our DNA.

TD, this is something I'm seriously looking at myself. It might be a possible explanation for reincarnation memories, some of which are quite striking. I'm not sure how it will explain NDEs, since people who have been clinically dead have vivid recollections of experiences while recording no brain waves. Although there are strong consistent patterns in almost all NDEs, the accounts are often laden with personal interpretations, and are sometimes inconsistent with one another.

Just by way of interest, what is your view? Do you believe that we continue to have some form of existence after death, or do we cease to exist altogether?
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Ray...

Well, first I don't believe we can even glimpse what will be next if anything is because our senses have developed for very specific purposes based on our world which is based on the curvature of space time sooooooooo I do not think humankind or anything on our earth has the ability to perceive something beyond our immediate abilities.

I also do not think it is even remotely possible that we have spirits that resemble our advanced primate form. This seems like nonsense to me (but I'm open to being totally wrong about it all). Why would spirits need bodies/a shape in a human form? We got our form basically from fish and it took a very long (four billion years) development for us to exist in this form which again is specific for the needs of this particular moment on our earth.

I think the whole idea of spirit/resurrection/human forms, in the next life was created at a time when little was known about life or the universe.

So... what do I think? Based on the past 13.7 billion years of our history, I think nothing is eliminated but only changes form. Our bodies will turn to dust and be consumed by other creatures who will in turn do the same. Our consciousness will exist as the oneness that we are. To clarify.... what are we? Basically we are nothingness. Take away the very small amount of actual matter that composes us (something like.001%) and we are left with being that emptiness which in my opinion, is Source/zero point energy field/whatever. That is really what we are in the deepest sense. I think we can't really comprehend what this is but I think our experience here brings a collective fulness to existence.

How is that for my quick answer? LOL!

~dancer~

And.. thanks for checkin' in on my blog! :-)
_beastie
_Emeritus

heh

Post by _beastie »

I just have to say that I kill tics and cockroaches with vicious delight. I hate the beasts. OTOH, I won't kill a spider unless it looks like a poisonous one.

Just think of all those tics waiting to testify against me at the judgment bar. Sigh. But just wait till I bring up Lyme disease.
_beastie
_Emeritus

past lives

Post by _beastie »

TD, Ray, or others who have read about the issue -

Have any of you studied the phenomenon of children spontaneously speaking foreign languages? I seem to recall that was one of the items that Carl Sagan thought deserved more careful study (in Demon Haunted World, although I may be misremembering).
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

I've heard a little about Glossia amoung both children and adults, but everything I've read indicates that there is not scientific evidence to support it. Those who have listened in on Pentacostal meetings think it unlikely that the words are anything more than gibberish. As for modern foreign languages, I have not heard anything in the way of this being verified.

There are of course stories about speaking in tongues during the Kirtland temple dedication. There are other stories like this too, but I don't have references right now except the obvious one is the Day of Pentecost in one of the first chapters of Acts.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Ray A

Re: past lives

Post by _Ray A »

beastie wrote:TD, Ray, or others who have read about the issue -

Have any of you studied the phenomenon of children spontaneously speaking foreign languages? I seem to recall that was one of the items that Carl Sagan thought deserved more careful study (in Demon Haunted World, although I may be misremembering).

beastie, no, I haven't heard of that, but I'd be interested to find out more and may do some searching. Thanks for the tip.