Are we enemies?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Are we enemies?

Post by _Runtu »

asbestosman mentioned in another thread his philosophy for dealing with enemies, and I realized that I don't consider anyone here my enemy, and I do not consider myself anyone's enemy. I am also not an enemy to the church. I have a calling, which I do to the best of my ability, even though I do not believe in the church. Yes, sometimes I vent my frustrations toward the church, but I don't hate it, and I don't wish it would cease to exist.

For the record, I think the church works for some people. I know a lot of people who would be far worse off if they did not have Mormonism in their lives. I don't believe I'm one of those people, but I don't begrudge them for getting something out of the religion that I don't.

What do you think? Are we enemies, or just people who disagree passionately?
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Re: Are we enemies?

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Runtu wrote:For the record, I think the church works for some people. I know a lot of people who would be far worse off if they did not have Mormonism in their lives. I don't believe I'm one of those people, but I don't begrudge them for getting something out of the religion that I don't.

I don't view those who disagree with me as my "enemy." I guess I'm fiercely libertarian in the sense that, in general, anyone should be able to say anything at anytime; that the core of being a human being is to think and talk as you like. I can't be angry at anyone who speaks their true feelings and opinions.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Southern Redneck
_Emeritus

Post by _Southern Redneck »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Runtu wrote:For the record, I think the church works for some people. I know a lot of people who would be far worse off if they did not have Mormonism in their lives. I don't believe I'm one of those people, but I don't begrudge them for getting something out of the religion that I don't.

I don't view those who disagree with me as my "enemy." I guess I'm fiercely libertarian in the sense that, in general, anyone should be able to say anything at anytime; that the core of being a human being is to think and talk as you like. I can't be angry at anyone who speaks their true feelings and opinions.
That is one of the things that has bothered me about the Mormon outlook that I have experienced since coming out as a non-believer. That this somehow translates as me hating the church and all of it's members. They use the term "anger" or "angry" to push us aside.

Far from it. I find that I am more mello then ever, and finding that it is easier to feel love for those whom I previousely didn't.

I feel the doctrine and culture of the church does much damage, but that does not equal me hating the church or members.

are we enemies? No.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

If anyone has been reading my posts they already knw my answer we are not enemies.

I as Rollo do not like when they use my anger as an excuse not to listen to me.

anyone will tell you never disrepect my anger because you don't not want to deal with my feminist viewpoint.!!!!!!

I am a angry feminist does anyone really wonder why????

Cause you will be sorry as many of you have found out when you call me dumb.
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Mormons view the world as Us against Them. And, as our leaders regularly remind us, if you aren't with Us, you're with Them. Mormons are especially hard on those who have rejected church membership. In the old days, we had Blood Atonement, actual killing of apostates. Then we just did it symbolically in the temple. Now we just shun and ridicule them. Mormons can feel pity for the Them who have never been members, because they've never had the privilege of knowing what Mormons feel is the Truth (capitalized). Mormons can't deal with former members who have forsaken their covenants and prefer the darkness to the Mormon light. So they either kill them, pantomine killing them, or cut them out of their lives.

And we are the Enemy Them, even if we're still members. All or nothing, black or white. There is no middle ground.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Do you folks consider yourselves as periodic adversaries, or opponents, or foes of the CoJCoLDS?

What would an "enemy" of the Church look like to you?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Runtu wrote:What do you think? Are we enemies, or just people who disagree passionately?

We are not enemies. However, I still find that scripture about being kind to enemies useful becuase it shows that kindness is useful even toward them (so why not toward everyone). The second scripture I quoted shows how to reprove friends. That one is far more applicable.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

With some of the hash that has been flung around here lately, I could have sworn a few were avowed enemies of others. If this is not the case, then perhaps it is time to retract our collective claws and simply enter into civil disagreement.

By the way, I applaud Rollo for being a fierce libertarian. Someone needs to defend the Dewey Decimal System.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

I personally do not consider myself an enemy of the Church. I would like to see the Church improve in some areas, though.
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

But you are the enemy.

Posting anonymously challenges and attacks upon the Church makes you antithetical to the Church's mission. You are out of harmony; you oppose the Brethren, the only legitimate representations of the Lord Jesus Christ on this earth. That you do so anonymously makes you cowardly. That some of you do so anonymously and are otherwise active in the Church makes you hypocritical cowards. That some of you do so anonymously, are active, and tell us all that you are active makes you true enemies, for the best enemy comes from within. (1 John 2:19 ["they went out from us, but they were not of us"].)

Rollie makes the point that he is a libertarian and he ought to say what he wants without consequence. That certainly sparked my interest. I am a libertarian. I support libertarian causes. One of my partners is on the board of trustees of one of the nation’s best-known libertarian organizations. I think I know whereof I speak, even though my live-and-let-live philosophy may not square with the typical LDS political philosophy.

But, libertarianism does not teach that one can say what one wants without the consequences that follow. Libertarian thought pertains to one's relationship with government, not to one's church or Elk’s Club, or Gay Rights’ Club. A fundamental point of libertarianism is the freedom of association; the ability to associate with others of like mind and thought, and the power to include or exclude without force or compulsion from government. You all, and especially Rollie (who in the past has subscribed somewhat to the notion of using government compulsion to force a change in the Church – tax laws), have thoroughly confused the right to say what you want with the right to be critical of a First Amendment organization and remain in good standing therein.

Nor does labeling you the enemy necessarily imply that the Church is a hate-monger. Although I can easily see the language and actions of hate on both sides, you who are enemies of the Church simply assume at all times that the disagreement with your actions by those among the faithful are the acts of those who hate. I don’t think the Savior’s repeated denunciation of hypocrites means that he hated them.

The best course of conduct if you doubt is to adopt the Gamaliel solution.
Last edited by _rcrocket on Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.