Defining LDS member/non-members....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

moksha wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:You need a term to cover somebody like Pahoran, who is at the extreme polar opposite of Ed Decker. I.e., he goes well beyond the role of apologist, and actually seems more interested in attacking critics than defending the Church or proclaiming the Gospel. In other words, hatred for critics and anti-Mormons exceeds the person's apparent desire to defend the Church.

PBM? Pit Bull Mormon. Both Pit Bulls and Pahoran can be vicious but have some winsome qualities as well.

Heaven knows I've tried to hate Pahoran but just can't quite do it.

Anyone who says the plural of Jesus is Jesi is OK with me.
_Southern Redneck
_Emeritus

Post by _Southern Redneck »

truth dancer wrote:Good suggestion Mr. Scratch,

Hmmmm ...any name ideas for this catagory?

Danites? Extreme believers? LDS Bodyguards?

:-)

~dancer~
pit bull Mormon?
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I'd like to see some way to refer to the idea that some people become so entrenched and embedded in their beliefs (whether it is that Mormonism is the "one true church", or that Mormonism is Satanic in origin) that no amount of evidence will convince them to alter their stances (in the Hoffer genre of True Believers).
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Beastie...

I think Hoffer's term "true believer" sounds too similar to a tbm so, what about, Extreme Mormon? Rigid Believer? Fanatical Believer?

Any other ideas?

I actually used a Hoffer quote as the quote of the day on my blog! :-) That man ROCKS!

~dancer~
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Would I be a well informed literalist apologist?

Gaz

P.S. What should we list for Son of Perdition? Someone who knows the church is true but fights against it for personal reasons, maybe an extreme reformer?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

TD,

I think fanatical believer probably works best. If I get another idea I'll let you know.