Richard Dutcher Comments on Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Richard Dutcher Comments on Mormonism

Post by _Who Knows »

Thanks to PhaedrusUT for posting this at the 'board that must not be named'.

This is an interesting interview with Richard Dutcher - the father of Mormon filmmaking:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies ... tcher.html

I wonder which one of Truthdancers labels would apply to him...
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

For those too lazy to read the article, here are a couple interesting quotes:

I've gone through a real evolution in my religious views and in my faith over the past four years

Let's just say that my religious views are much more universal than one would expect from someone raised … I'm starting to sound like a politician now. But I don't believe that Mormons have any special claim to God. I don't believe that Mormonism has any special doorway to heaven.

Has that made things awkward for her, going to an LDS church as the wife of the rebellious Mormon filmmaker?

Dutcher: Oh, absolutely: "She's the wife of that guy." And, "Oh, poor Gwen." She's so kind and good, but she just has this cross to bear—me! But it's been awkward for me as well. It's strange, because there are people in the Mormon community who have put me on a pedestal, like I'm some kind of a church leader. And then there are others who think I'm the son of Satan. But I just wish everybody would come to a middle ground where they just realize I'm just a guy making movies. And I'd like to be thought of as a person who's making meaningful films, someone who's spending his life actually trying to do something that has meaning.

Without the labels.

Dutcher: Yeah. Without the labels. Because people equate Mormonism with proselytizing so heavily. But honestly, I try to tell people that I have zero interest in making any more Mormons in the world. And I have zero interest in making any fewer Mormons in the world. I'm just trying to tell my own spiritual story through film.

His story sounds pretty familiar.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Yes, his story does sound familiar. I wonder how wise it would be to begin placing bets on whether or not he will be hauled into a disciplinary hearing in the not-to-distant future.
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Dutcher wrote:But honestly, I try to tell people that I have zero interest in making any more Mormons in the world. And I have zero interest in making any fewer Mormons in the world.

He's interested in making movies and I think we're all interested in finding happiness.

I'm thinking it just might work, as long as people's beliefs are respected enough by themselves to stop shoving them in our faces.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Question

Post by _Mercury »

Who remembers the rumors when Gods Army first came out that stated Rihard Dutcher was not even Mormon?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Your publicist told me the label of "Mormon filmmaker" will disappear with your next movie, Falling, coming in 2007. Why would that film convince people to drop the label?

Dutcher: Probably because the Mormon community itself will probably disown me (laughs). But it's just a film with deeply spiritual Christian and Mormon themes, but it speaks that message in … Well, basically it violates the Mormon aesthetic in pretty much every way possible. It's on the street, it's violent, it's edgy. For those to whom their sensibilities are more important than the message, it's probably going to offend a large percentage of those people. It's about a lapsed Mormon, and I wanted to depict that truthfully. It will definitely be rated R.

SMAC, probably posted this for vindication at FAIR. Imagine (shock) an R rated movie. I want to go see it when it comes out.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Filmmaker

Post by _Gazelam »

Sounds like a guy who was raised in the church, but never studied, prayed, or took in anything he was instructed. Yes that sounds familiar.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Re: Filmmaker

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Gazelam wrote:Sounds like a guy who was raised in the church, but never studied, prayed, or took in anything he was instructed. Yes that sounds familiar.

I know. Start anytime you want, Gazelam. It's never to late to study, think and question any of the sanitized stuff you're being taught.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi WK...

I wonder which one of Truthdancers labels would apply to him...

I think he is a non-believer.

He is still a member, doesn't believe, doesn't have bad feelings toward the church, he just seems to not believe anymore.

:-)

~dancer~

The best think in the article was his comment, (along the lines of), he had to stay true to himself! :-)
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Re: Filmmaker

Post by _Who Knows »

Gazelam wrote:Sounds like a guy who was raised in the church, but never studied, prayed, or took in anything he was instructed. Yes that sounds familiar.

Yeah, silly guy. He probably never did any of that. Even giving up 2 years of his life to the church wasn't enough. Too bad for him...