From TBM to Ex to TBM again

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

From TBM to Ex to TBM again

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Are there are some posters here who were TBM's and found reason to disbelieve the church...and then returned to TBM status? I'd like to hear about what led to your disbelief and your return to your faith? To what do you attribute this boomerang effect?

Jersey Girl

(Boomerangmo's! Anyone lifts that word...you'll have me to deal with and it won't be pretty!)
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Re: From TBM to Ex to TBM again

Post by _wenglund »

Jersey Girl wrote:Are there are some posters here who were TBM's and found reason to disbelieve the church...and then returned to TBM status? I'd like to hear about what led to your disbelief and your return to your faith? To what do you attribute this boomerang effect?

Jersey Girl

(Boomerangmo's! Anyone lifts that word...you'll have me to deal with and it won't be pretty!)

See Primus' thread on "A shoutout to Wade Englund".

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I would fall into that category, although I never resigned my membership in-between. I merely ceased attending and began exploring other belief systems after a transitionary period from atheist to agnostic to generic believer. That lasted around thirty years.

I don't really see this as boomeranging, but rather following my own individual spiritual pathway.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

I was never a Boomerangmo©.

I had periods of serious personal doubting and wondering about what I considered oddities, like the lack of miracles even though God was a God of miracles, etc. I stayed very active right up until I decided that the magic really didn't work.

Once I decided that it didn't fit together like I had thought my whole life, I was done.

------------
NOTE: Boomerangmo© is the sole copyright of its owner Jersey Girl.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Unless I am mistaken, Will Schryver/Provis fits this description.
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

We didn't get much action on this thread...is it because there are very few or it's just not that interesting to anyone?

I find it intriguing and have personally never known anyone who was TBM, became an exmo and then went back -- which does not mean there weren't any, of course.

I would have a lot of questions for them. They seem to fit into the biblical definition of children in Paul's epistle to the Ephisians.
Paul in Eph. 4: 14 wrote:That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

This seems so apropos of Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris...

I believe Tal Bachman once wrote, "I was confused by a lot of things when I was LDS and then one day it all made perfect sense." (Please pardon my paraphrasing of what I think he might have said as a direct quotation, but it lends more credibility to my authoritative claims when I do. ;P)
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

I think they were afraid to go all the way. don't you????

I mean once you leave you see the TRUTH but if you say gone you must also be willing to give up your family in order to stay gone.

For some the price of family is not worth the PRICE of freedom...

For some the price of freedom is worth the price of FAMILY
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........