Homosexuality? Right or Wrong?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

Homosexuality

Total votes: 0

_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

Sono_hito wrote:hmm...if I remember right, there are also tenants in the Bible that its a GOOD thing to own slaves and that you SHOULD have at least a few.

Wow, I must have missed those. Chapter and verse please.

Its also proper and well to seel your own daughter into slavery.

Ditto. I don't believe you're recalling this correctly.

OH! and its also a bad thing to even speak with a woman on her monthly cycle! you should also kill those that are not christian, and much much more.

Ditto. You're certainly not recalling this correctly. There are no commandments against speaking with a woman on her monthly cycle, and no commandments that non-Christians should be killed.

Don't you love uninformed rumour?
Lazy research debunked: bcspace x 4 | maklelan x 3 | Coggins7 x 5 (by Mr. Coffee x5) | grampa75 x 1 | whyme x 2 | rcrocket x 2 | Kerry Shirts x 1 | Enuma Elish x 1|
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

I've got them down on my home computer, ill post em in the morning once i get home from work.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

Sono_hito wrote:I've got them down on my home computer, ill post em in the morning once I get home from work.

I can't wait. Would it be quicker for me to post the quotes you think you're thinking of?
Lazy research debunked: bcspace x 4 | maklelan x 3 | Coggins7 x 5 (by Mr. Coffee x5) | grampa75 x 1 | whyme x 2 | rcrocket x 2 | Kerry Shirts x 1 | Enuma Elish x 1|
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

if youve got the ones im thinking of, go ahead. i can always verify em later.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

Sono_hito wrote:if youve got the ones I'm thinking of, go ahead. I can always verify em later.

Ok:

* It's a good thing to own slaves, and everyone should have at least a few: No verses say this. You're thinking of the various passages in the Law of Moses which describe indentured service or the servitude of conquered peoples (Exodus 21, Leviticus 25, Deuteronomy 15 and 21, which comprise the bulk of the slave/servant passages).

* It's also proper and well to sell your own daughter into slavery: No verses say this. You're thinking of the passages in the Law of Moses which describe the indentured service into which a daughter can be contracted, which usually involved a marriage (Exodus 21:7-11).

* It's also a bad thing to even speak with a woman on her monthly cycle: No verses say this. You're thinking of the passages in the Law of Moses which forbid intercourse with a woman during her monthly cycle (Leviticus 18:19; 20:18).

* You should also kill those that are not Christian: No verses say this. I can't even think where you managed to get this from. It certainly wasn't from 'Treat others as you would have them treat you', or 'Love your enemy, do good to those who hate you, pray for those who use you wrongfully'.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

yup, my daughters slavery referance was ex 21:7 And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.

ex 35:2 Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death

Clearly that anyone working on the sabbath should be killed

1 cor 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

Im a terrible shame, my hair reaches past my ears!

the mentral issue was in chapters 19-24 of something...(i logged the chapters, but forgot to log the book) ill get back to you as soon as i find it.

Death of unbelievers
Deut 13:6-10 If your wife or brother or anyone entices you toward a new religion you must kill him/her without fail.
2-Chronicles 15:13 - "That anyone should not search for Jehovah thy God should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman."
Psalms 2:1-11 Kill the heathens?
Psalms 58:1-11 Wow - the righteous get to wash their feet in the blood of the non-religious.

Leviticus 21:16-23 Nobody who is handicapped may come close to the alter of God as they would profane it. Blind, lame, whatever. It's your fault you were born that way, I guess.

Leviticus 24:14-23 Anyone who blasphemes or curses shall be stoned to death by the entire community.

1st corinthians 7:1-4 The husband controls his wife's body.
1 Peter 3:1 - Wives must be in subjection to their husbands.
Timothy 2:11-14 God does not permit a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man.
1st Corinthians 14 34:35 Women should just shut up.

Ephesians 6:5-9 slavery a good thing

I don't have nearly what i used to. Gave up Bible thumping and searching about 3-4 years ago, so i kinda suck at it now.
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

Sono_hito wrote:yup, my daughters slavery referance was ex 21:7 And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.

This is indentured service, not slavery. I already covered that.

ex 35:2 Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death

Clearly that anyone working on the sabbath should be killed

1 cor 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

I'm a terrible shame, my hair reaches past my ears!

I'm sorry, how are these related to your previous claims? I gather you object to them, for some personal reasons, but I don't see that they're related to what you said before.

the mentral issue was in chapters 19-24 of something...(I logged the chapters, but forgot to log the book) ill get back to you as soon as I find it.

It's ok, I've already done that one. It didn't say what you thought.

Death of unbelievers
Deut 13:6-10 If your wife or brother or anyone entices you toward a new religion you must kill him/her without fail.
2-Chronicles 15:13 - "That anyone should not search for Jehovah thy God should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman."
Psalms 2:1-11 Kill the heathens?
Psalms 58:1-11 Wow - the righteous get to wash their feet in the blood of the non-religious.

Sorry, I thought you said there were verses which command people to kill anyone who isn't a Christian. Could you find those ones for me?

Leviticus 21:16-23 Nobody who is handicapped may come close to the alter of God as they would profane it. Blind, lame, whatever. It's your fault you were born that way, I guess.

Where does it say 'It's your fault you were born that way'? And this was only for one family in the entire nation, the family from which the High Priest came. It wasn't for the entire nation.

Leviticus 24:14-23 Anyone who blasphemes or curses shall be stoned to death by the entire community.

How is this related to what you said before?

1st corinthians 7:1-4 The husband controls his wife's body.

Er:

1 Corinthians 7:
1 Now with regard to the issues you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.”
2 But because of immoralities, each man should have relations with2 his own wife and each woman with3 her own husband.
3 A husband should give to his wife her sexual rights, and likewise a wife to her husband.
4 It is not the wife who has the rights to her own body, but the husband. In the same way, it is not the husband who has the rights to his own body, but the wife.

Which verse are you reading?

1 Peter 3:1 - Wives must be in subjection to their husbands.
Timothy 2:11-14 God does not permit a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man.

I'm sorry, how are these related to your original statements?

1st Corinthians 14 34:35 Women should just shut up.

Really?

1 Corinthians 14:
34 the women should be silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak. Rather, let them be in submission, as in fact the law says.
35 If they want to find out about something, they should ask their husbands at home, because it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in church.

No, I'm afraid not. Nothing there says 'Women should just shut up'. Have you actually looked these up yourself, or did you copy a list from some website?

Ephesians 6:5-9 slavery a good thing

I don't see it saying that:

Ephesians 6:
5 Slaves, obey your human masters with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart as to Christ,
6 not like those who do their work only when someone is watching—as people-pleasers—but as slaves of Christ doing the will of God from the heart.
7 Obey with enthusiasm, as though serving the Lord and not people,
8 because you know that each person, whether slave or free, if he does something good, this will be rewarded by the Lord.
9 Masters, treat your slaves the same way, giving up the use of threats, because you know that both you and they have the same master in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.

No, not a single verse there says 'slavery is a good thing'.

I did find this:

1 Corinthians 7:
21 Were you called as a slave? Do not worry about it. But if indeed you are able to be free, make the most of the opportunity.

This verse didn't make your list. Strangely.

I don't have nearly what I used to. Gave up Bible thumping and searching about 3-4 years ago, so I kinda suck at it now.

I think if you're going to cite the Bible, you should at least:

* Read it before you cite it
* Use a contemporary translation (you can keep using the KJV, but a lot of Christians will laugh at you)
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Post by _grampa75 »

Sono_hito wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:Another question to ask is "Is eating shimp a sin?"

Leviticus 11:9-12 says:
9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Deuteronomy 14:9-10 says:
9 These ye shall eat of all that are in the waters: all that have fins and scales shall ye eat:
10 And whatsoever hath not fins and scales ye may not eat; it is unclean unto you.

Why do christians pick and choose which portions of the Bible to follow?

hmm...if I remember right, there are also tenants in the Bible that its a GOOD thing to own slaves and that you SHOULD have at least a few. Its also proper and well to sell your own daughter into slavery. OH! and its also a bad thing to even speak with a woman on her monthly cycle! you should also kill those that are not christian, and much much more.

there are SO many times in the Bible that things are explained in black and white on what you should do, but are ignored or said they are no logner needed. In fact, in LEV. if you look a few verses later it says that whole slavery thing If I recall correctly.

I cannot agree that we should kill homosexuals. However, the same commitment doesn't seem to be valid for homo's. Do any of you know that most of the most henious crimes against the law and God has been committed by homosexuals. In GA about 76 a homosexual killed about forty young men and burried them on his farm in California. Another crime was when 21 young men were killed in Florida in around 1979. Two homosexuals tortured a number of women in San Francisco in the sixties, and I wont even tell you how because of the method they used.

Today, we have to protect our children from these people because who knows what it is that will set them off.

I don't take upon me the mantle of Judge, but I most certainly read. And from that power (reading) I can see that these people will someday have to be reckoned with.

I can't stand killing or causing pain in other people, rather emotionally or physically. But I do believe that something has to be done to protect our families from the atrocities that have been committed from these (INSANE) people.

I would advise all of you to stucy up these people who would commit these henious crimes against society.
Paul W. Burt
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

grampa75 wrote:
Sono_hito wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:Another question to ask is "Is eating shimp a sin?"

Leviticus 11:9-12 says:
9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Deuteronomy 14:9-10 says:
9 These ye shall eat of all that are in the waters: all that have fins and scales shall ye eat:
10 And whatsoever hath not fins and scales ye may not eat; it is unclean unto you.

Why do christians pick and choose which portions of the Bible to follow?

hmm...if I remember right, there are also tenants in the Bible that its a GOOD thing to own slaves and that you SHOULD have at least a few. Its also proper and well to sell your own daughter into slavery. OH! and its also a bad thing to even speak with a woman on her monthly cycle! you should also kill those that are not christian, and much much more.

there are SO many times in the Bible that things are explained in black and white on what you should do, but are ignored or said they are no logner needed. In fact, in LEV. if you look a few verses later it says that whole slavery thing If I recall correctly.

I cannot agree that we should kill homosexuals. However, the same commitment doesn't seem to be valid for homo's. Do any of you know that most of the most henious crimes against the law and God has been committed by homosexuals. In GA about 76 a homosexual killed about forty young men and burried them on his farm in California. Another crime was when 21 young men were killed in Florida in around 1979. Two homosexuals tortured a number of women in San Francisco in the sixties, and I wont even tell you how because of the method they used.

Today, we have to protect our children from these people because who knows what it is that will set them off.

I don't take upon me the mantle of Judge, but I most certainly read. And from that power (reading) I can see that these people will someday have to be reckoned with.

I can't stand killing or causing pain in other people, rather emotionally or physically. But I do believe that something has to be done to protect our families from the atrocities that have been committed from these (INSANE) people.

I would advise all of you to stucy up these people who would commit these henious crimes against society.

Yeah, and what about all those heterosexuals committing rape and murder? And all the men who do it as well!

Down with heterosexuals! Down with men! Kill 'em all!
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

grampa75 wrote:Do any of you know that most of the most henious crimes against the law and God has been committed by homosexuals.

No I don't know. I don't believe it either. History shows that the most heinous crimes against the law and God have been committed by heterosexuals, a significant number of them devoutly Christian (for a given value of 'Christian').