Steve Benson's bizarre behavior on the RfM board

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Re: Spaulding theory?

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Plutarch wrote:You, who complain so vociferously about your freedom of speech issues at BYU on the one hand and, who on the other hand, advocate government power to crush Mormonism.

When did Guy ever say this (the bolded part above)?
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Plutarch wrote:You, who complain so vociferously about your freedom of speech issues at BYU on the one hand and, who on the other hand, advocate government power to crush Mormonism.

we've been through this before; I have met this challenge twice before and there was no comment from you or Guy.

P
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Plutarch wrote:we've been through this before; I have met this challenge twice before and there was no comment from you or Guy.

So you're basing your statement on a non-comment of Guy (and, apparently, me)? I don't even know the thread to which you are referring. Care to enlighten?
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

marg or Dan,

Would one of you start a new thread with Criddle's name in the subject line in the Terrestrial Forum? Might I suggest that whomever starts the thread, that you ask posters (like with the interview threads) to stay off the thread until Dan and Craig open it to the masses? Just a suggestion.

Open the thread, let it sit there and be patient.

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_marg

Post by _marg »

Jersey Girl wrote:marg or Dan,

Would one of you start a new thread with Criddle's name in the subject line in the Terrestrial Forum? Might I suggest that whomever starts the thread, that you ask posters (like with the interview threads) to stay off the thread until Dan and Craig open it to the masses? Just a suggestion.

Jersey Girl

For now Jersey Girl I'd like to find out off the message board who is interested and then get the okay from Dan. I've asked Shades to involve himself. So we won't start any messages just yet. Thanks.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

marg wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:marg or Dan,

Jersey Girl

For now Jersey Girl I'd like to find out off the message board who is interested and then get the okay from Dan. I've asked Shades to involve himself. So we won't start any messages just yet. Thanks.

Gotcha.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:
marg wrote:For now Jersey Girl I'd like to find out off the message board who is interested and then get the okay from Dan. I've asked Shades to involve himself. So we won't start any messages just yet. Thanks.

Gotcha.

That's correct. Give me a little while to work out the kinks, make the preparations, and e-mail the right people.

Just a little longer 'till the great unveiling.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Dan,

I'm so glad to see you here!!!
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Plutarch wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

we've been through this before; I have met this challenge twice before and there was no comment from you or Guy.

P

let me translate your response:

"i don't really have a valid retort so ill just act like im frustrated. It works in sunday school."
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Dan Vogel
_Emeritus

Post by _Dan Vogel »

Plutarch wrote:
Dan Vogel wrote:The best parts of the Book of Mormon are the sermons, which would be expected from a charismatic leader of Joseph Smith's caliber.

And, how is Joseph Smith to know the concept of justice and mercy, and explain it better, than Milton?

P

I guess that's your opinion. How did you determine it was better? Being raised in the Burned Over District, and having a father who was a Universalist and a mother who was a Calvinist, probably had a lot to do with the Book of Mormon's discussion of those topics. The Book of Mormon is eloquent in places, but nothing like Milton. I don't see how the two can even be compared. I think comparison to contemporary sermons would be more appropriate.