Teaching children decency, integrity, ethics, principles....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Personally,

I think the world needs all the great people we can find.

:-)

~dancer~
_Ray A

Re: Teaching children decency, integrity, ethics, principles

Post by _Ray A »

JAK wrote:If you have 8 kids, you violate the earth’s environment. The planet will not support such irresponsible reproduction long-term. A family of 8 children is hardly “ideal” in today’s world.

Perhaps this balances out all of the people who are not having children, like the DINKS (double income no kids).
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Quote from Jak: If you have 8 kids, you violate the earth’s environment. The planet will not support such irresponsible reproduction long-term. A family of 8 children is hardly “ideal” in today’s world.

I've read some stupid, ignorant, drug induced comments on this board in the past, but this is by far the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.... EVER.

Please, next time your out hugging a tree, please pound your head against it and fertilize it with your blood.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gazelam wrote:Quote from Jak: If you have 8 kids, you violate the earth’s environment. The planet will not support such irresponsible reproduction long-term. A family of 8 children is hardly “ideal” in today’s world.

I've read some stupid, ignorant, drug induced comments on this board in the past, but this is by far the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.... EVER.

Please, next time your out hugging a tree, please pound your head against it and fertilize it with your blood.
]

Gaz,

I can think of no reason for the tone and nature of your reply to JAK. What are your thoughts about over population and long term impact to the earth's resources?

Jersey Girl
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Jersey: "What are your thoughts about over population and long term impact to the earth's resources? "

There is no such problem, that's what I think. How much food is wasted in America every day? Whens the last time you saw an empty shelf at the grocery store? How many fields are left unplanted every year by farmers because the government wants to keep the market stable?

Theres enough land and food for everyone, its cultures that cause problems, not enviorment.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Oh, and my tone is because the statement made was assinine.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gazelam wrote:Jersey: "What are your thoughts about over population and long term impact to the earth's resources? "

There is no such problem, that's what I think. How much food is wasted in America every day? Whens the last time you saw an empty shelf at the grocery store? How many fields are left unplanted every year by farmers because the government wants to keep the market stable?

Theres enough land and food for everyone, its cultures that cause problems, not enviorment.

Tell that to people living in Third World Countries. Tell that to homeless persons living on the streets in THIS country.

Jersey Girl
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Are homeless people a family problem, or because of urban sprawl eating up resources?

Are third world people straveing a political problem, or an enviormental problem?
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

I plan to introduce my children to the great philosophers and thinkers of the world, both past and present.

Sagan...Newton...Shermer...Plato...Heinlein

These giants of intelectual reason, philosophical thought and Literature will teach my children. That is the ultimate gift I can give them which is Expert Opinion.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Gazelam wrote:Are homeless people a family problem, or because of urban sprawl eating up resources?

Are third world people straveing a political problem, or an enviormental problem?

From Wikipedia:

Pre-disposing factors to homelessness
Skid Row in Los Angeles, CA
Skid Row in Los Angeles, CA

Most researchers attempt to make a distinction between: 1) why homelessness exists, in general, and 2) who is at-risk of homelessness, in specific. Homelessness has always existed since urbanization and industrialization.

Factors placing an individual at high-risk of homelessness include:

* Poverty: People living in poverty are at a higher risk of becoming homeless.
* Drug or alcohol misuse: It is not uncommon for homeless to suffer from a substance abuse problem. Debate exists about whether drug use is a cause or consequence of homelessness. However, regardless when it arises, an untreated addiction "makes moving beyond homelessness extremely difficult."[16]
* Serious Mental Illness and Disability: It has been estimated that approximately one-third of all adult homeless persons have some form of mental illness and/or disability. In previous eras, these individuals were institutionalized in state mental hospitals. According to the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI), there are 50,000 mentally ill homeless people in California alone because of deinstitutionalization between 1957 and 1988 and a lack of adequate local service systems.[17] Various assertive outreach approaches, including a mental health treatment approach known as Assertive Community Treatment and the Path Program, have shown promise in the prevention of homelessness among people with serious mental illness.[18][19][20]
* Foster Care background: This population experienced rates of homelessness nearly 8 times higher than the non-foster care population.
* Escaping domestic abuse, including sexual, physical and mental abuse: Victims who flee from abuse often find themselves without a home. Abused children also have a higher chance of succumbing to a drug addiction, which contributes to difficulties in establishing a residence.[21] In 1990 a study found that half of homeless women and children were fleeing abuse.[22]
* Prison discharge: Often the formerly incarcerated are socially isolated from friends and family and have few resources. Employment is often difficult for those with a criminal record. Untreated substance abuse and mental illness also may put them at high risk for homelessness onced discharged.[23]
* Civilian during war: Civilians during war or any armed conflict are also are at a higher risk for homelessness, because of possible military attacks on their property, and even after the war rebuilding their homes is often costly, and most commonly the government is overthrown or defeated which is then unable to help its citzens.[24]
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning