Teaching children decency, integrity, ethics, principles....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Re: Teaching children decency, integrity, ethics, principles

Post by _Fortigurn »

Jersey Girl wrote:So long as parents in America continue to institutionalize their children from an early age, children will learn their "values" from the relative strangers who are raising them.

Excellent point.
Lazy research debunked: bcspace x 4 | maklelan x 3 | Coggins7 x 5 (by Mr. Coffee x5) | grampa75 x 1 | whyme x 2 | rcrocket x 2 | Kerry Shirts x 1 | Enuma Elish x 1|
_Yoda

Re: Teaching children decency, integrity, ethics, principles

Post by _Yoda »

truth dancer wrote:Where are our children going to learn decency, integrity, ethics, and principles?

Where are the great role models for children today?

How often are children exposed to really great people these days? Or truly great ideas for bringing peace and healing to our world?

Children will not learn decency and integrity from politicians, movie stars, athletic greats, business people, or world leaders...

Certainly not from the media or mainstream society...

Often basic principles are not taught in school (for good or bad)...

Seems most religions are more interested in ritual, eliticism, and rewards of the afterlife than they are about real world issues...

Families are so busy with the overwhelming demands of life seems there is little time for learning the basics of ethics and integrity...

I'm just feeling a little sorrowful at the moment.

I know there are great people, great organizations, great ideas but I worry for the little ones growing up in this world. I'm not talking about where they "should" learn this but where "will" they learn it... how will they learn it?

I'm asking that this discussion be respectful... (smile). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

;-)

~dancer~

Where will the young people of today learn ethics? They will learn it from us, their parents, who will make the time to do it. We'll encourage our kids to bring their friends to our house. We'll lead by example.

I have a lot of confidence in our young people today. They're great kids, and they'll make great adult leaders.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

The entirety of ethics is understanding how to anylize a situation and understand how to make it into the most usefull and least damaging choice possible. Once your children understand how to make choices in this matter, they can become very strong members of society. Once i learned it, it sure changed my life.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

At least some of those families address only the issues and problems which confront them directly and which demand immediate address. They have little interest or motivation to address what you might regard as “real world issues.” Or, they may not regard what you perceive as “real world issues” as important. They choose to disregard or ignore what you might regard as of paramount importance.

I'm not talking about my person beliefs, choices, ideals.... I'm talking about living.

When I started this thread, as I pointed out, I was feeling discouraged.

My concern is for the many children who do not have great families, who are being "left behind" (not speaking about reading) in the school system, who don't have the support from an interested community, supportive church, or extended family.

To think that the children of the world are all taken care of is to not understand the reality of this world in which we are a part.

I KNOW there are many amazing young people, there are fabulous families, and there are people all over the world doing great things!

My concern was for those who are not so fortunate to experience the goodness.

Of course, we know children will learn from those who are in their lives, either through the media, in their homes, or in their environment.

My heart goes out to those children who don't have much of a chance at having a great life.

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Hi Dancer, you said:
My heart goes out to those children who don't have much of a chance at having a great life.

That's one more heart felt spirit within the Universe. Don't be discouraged. There is more concern today than ever before. NGOs, except possibly the Salvation Army and other benevolent church groups, were no where near as visable, vocal or active in the past, as they are now.

Conscienced awareness is a slow but steady evolution... You know my sentiment re "Birth Luck". That reality cannot be soothed by any pretence that "God" is in charge and assigns our lot in life relative to some other imagined existance... It's in hearts first, then in the hands, ours... Warm regards, Roger