What Became of Will Schryver?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

The Dude wrote:Good question, Scratch. As a long-time chozah/provis/schryver watcher (and snooper), I have to say I miss William. He could put his foot in his mouth like nobody else, and it takes balls to do that.

Mordecai doesn't fit. His posts are pretty boring and he's a true believer of intelligent design, much like old Lognormal was. Although Will was a skeptic of evolution, he was never so married to a single alternative.

Hammer -- another no. He's just plain obnoxious. Will made me laugh all the time.

I think Will Schryver just gave up the message board thing. Honestly, I don't see anybody else quite like him.

Soo sad. :(

Ah, I don't know, Dude. I really want to cling to the belief that he's adopted a new ID! Like you, I miss him a lot also. A further reason for believing he simply changed IDs is the fact that he was accorded special privileges on FAIR/MAD. I mean, look at DCP---that kind of respect/bottom-smooching is a tough thing to give up.
_Nightingale
_Emeritus

It's not antishock

Post by _Nightingale »

You're right - antishock is a "critic". He used to post on RfM and then he moved to Social. I think he's already been "disciplined" on FAIR (not banned but put in the corner for a time) as he is certainly critical of the church but he writes well and makes good points. I can't see him lasting on FAIR as he is fairly scathing about religion in general.

It's fun to finally be visiting other boards (I started at RfM) and recognizing board names here, there and everywhere. I'm still writing an occasional post on MADB (did you note that the acronym has changed?) but it feels like I have to really watch my step which is fairly uncomfortable. I would classify myself as fairly moderate and objective so you wouldn't think I'd have any trouble. I guess we'll see. I try to avoid posting right after I have a gut reaction to various comments so that helps. I do that in general though, not just at FAIR. I don't like arguing. Debating - great. Arguing - no. What is amazing to me is how clearly I see now the extent to which people's preconceptions colour their interpretation of someone else's comments. To start with, some FAIR/MADB posters will hate you (it feels like hate) just because you post on RfM. I guess naïvely, I thought after the huge long thread about apostates that gave specific definitions that don't include merely leaving a church (in which beastie participated) many of the main posters might cease to view every exmo as an "apostate" but it seems it's status quo. I might choose another hobby that's more pleasurable, any time soon. :)
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: It's not antishock

Post by _harmony »

To start with, some FAIR/MADB posters will hate you (it feels like hate) just because you post on RfM.

Their animosity towards this place is legendary. Many there haven't much to say about RfM, but get a case of bad heartburn whenever Shades' board is mentioned. DCP is about the only one who comes unglued at both.
_Vici
_Emeritus

Post by _Vici »

I'm still not completely convinced that Shryver was even a real person. But I do know someone who's pretty heavily involved with FAIR, and according to a friend of his (I know, that's third hand, at best!) Shryver dumped his wife of 25 years and ran off back east with some twenty-something once-married daughter of the stake president. He's supposed to be exed in absentia, along with the S.P.'s daughter. Pretty crazy stuff, huh?
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Vici wrote:I'm still not completely convinced that Shryver was even a real person. But I do know someone who's pretty heavily involved with FAIR, and according to a friend of his (I know, that's third hand, at best!) Shryver dumped his wife of 25 years and ran off back east with some twenty-something once-married daughter of the stake president. He's supposed to be exed in absentia, along with the S.P.'s daughter. Pretty crazy stuff, huh?

Indeed it is Vici! And truly, it has been far too long since I last heard from you. Please do tell more.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Vici wrote:I'm still not completely convinced that Shryver was even a real person. But I do know someone who's pretty heavily involved with FAIR, and according to a friend of his (I know, that's third hand, at best!) Shryver dumped his wife of 25 years and ran off back east with some twenty-something once-married daughter of the stake president. He's supposed to be exed in absentia, along with the S.P.'s daughter. Pretty crazy stuff, huh?

Oh my. Let's hope there's no substance to this information.
_Vici
_Emeritus

Post by _Vici »

Mister Scratch wrote:

Indeed it is Vici! And truly, it has been far too long since I last heard from you. Please do tell more.

Sorry. I don't know anything more. It is what it is. A largely unsubstantiated rumor that just happened to include Shryver in its details. Take it for what it's worth. I've certainly heard of similar kinds of things in my days wandering on the outskirts of Mormonism. It seems like those who pretend to be the strongest stalwarts are often those who fall off the pulpit the fastest. I once knew a former mission president who got caught with a prostitute. Strangely enough, he had this weird sense of virtue which dictated that he wouldn't actually touch her, he would just masturbate while she stripped her clothes off. Of course, he was still paying for the privilege, and it still qualified as "solicitation." Go figure.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Will Schryver is a registered member here, so let's hope he sees this and gives us his side of the story--assuming there's anything to it to begin with.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Dr. Shades wrote:Will Schryver is a registered member here, so let's hope he sees this and gives us his side of the story--assuming there's anything to it to begin with.

Schryver only posted once here, and he later deleted it. I doubt he posts here again.

http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... light=#701
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Vici wrote:A largely unsubstantiated rumor that just happened to include Shryver in its details. Take it for what it's worth.

It's toxic waste because it's unsubstantiated. Perpetuating such rumors is unbecoming--I think most here can agree with that.

Now I'm not trying to point a finger at you. In fact I did something worse on my mission. There was a man who was moving into the branch and tales started circling about a former bishop who committed adultery behind closed doors. I hadn't connected the two until finally a less active member said there was something about this new member. I asked for the dirt and then the connection was made. I never could look at that man the same way again and what's worse is that it really wasn't my business to know.

No, I think even if your rumor is true, it would be best not to bring up such things. One wonders, on the other hand, how Simon Southerton's misdeeds became public. I know they were in the paper, but was he the one who first publicized what his court was for?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO