DCP Publishes Material from this Board---Sans Attribution!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

DCP Publishes Material from this Board---Sans Attribution!

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Wow! Well, I have to say that I am flattered that the Good Professor feels that my critique is worth of mention in such a "scholarly" journal as FARMS Review! Check it out:

http://farms.byu.edu/display.php?table=review&id=621

I should probably say that my quote is the one that mentions a "cabal of 'yes-men." Of course, the average reader isn't going to know that, since DCP didn't bother to use appropriate attribution!. Come now, last time I checked, the standards for citation listed by the MLA, or the APA had updated themselves to reckon with our new, digital, Internet days! So why doesn't Professor Peterson at least acknowledge that he lifted these quotes from this website? I'm so hurt!

Anyways, I intend to post a more in-depth rebuttal to this intro in a couple of days or so. I just thought I'd call everyone's attention to this very intriguing article. Also, unless I'm mistaken, he printed material written by Kevin Graham and Rollo Tomasi as well (also unattributed).
_rcrocket

Re: DCP Publishes Material from this Board---Sans Attributio

Post by _rcrocket »

Mister Scratch wrote:
Anyways, I intend to post a more in-depth rebuttal to this intro in a couple of days or so. I just thought I'd call everyone's attention to this very intriguing article. Also, unless I'm mistaken, he printed material written by Kevin Graham and Rollo Tomasi as well (also unattributed).

Oh my goodness. What a shock! Oops -- wait a minute!! Aren't you anonymous? Yes! Anonymous dorks lack standing.

P
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Plutarch wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:

Oh my goodness. What a shock! Oops -- wait a minute!! Aren't you anonymous? Yes! Anonymous dorks lack standing.

P

No; that's not true. Professional standards for citations have been expanded to handle the demands of the Digital Age. There are conventions for citing all kinds of Web-based material. DCP evidently felt it was okay to skirt around the rules on this one.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Plutarch wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:

P

Kevin Graham isn't anonymous and I don't know about Rollo. You might want to look up internet copyright law as it applies to the use of pseudonyms. Just a suggestion. If I recall correctly, there is some protection for anonymous person's who publish on boards like this using pseudonyms.

Was Mark Twain an anonymous dork? Just curious....

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

A most unusual introduction with all the defense of Louis Midgley and all the digs at Dan Vogel. Still, I guess it relates somehow.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Mister Scratch wrote:Wow! Well, I have to say that I am flattered that the Good Professor feels that my critique is worth of mention in such a "scholarly" journal as FARMS Review! Check it out:

I should probably say that my quote is the one that mentions a "cabal of 'yes-men." Of course, the average reader isn't going to know that, since DCP didn't bother to use appropriate attribution!. Come now, last time I checked, the standards for citation listed by the MLA, or the APA had updated themselves to reckon with our new, digital, Internet days! So why doesn't Professor Peterson at least acknowledge that he lifted these quotes from this website? I'm so hurt!

This seems a little odd to me. You purposely post under a fictional screen name so as to maintain anonymity, and yet you wish to be attributed for what you say under that fictional name? Do the standards for citation cover statements made real people operating under the guise of fictional characters?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Keep in mind that FARMS attributed an entire article to Shades (pseudonymn) and his website.

So to argue that a pseudonym means attribution is unwarranted, won't hold water.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Which parts had been used and who originally wrote them?

(I'm not being lazy. I read through it but couldn't figure out which parts you're talking about)

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Jersey Girl wrote: Kevin Graham isn't anonymous and I don't know about Rollo. You might want to look up internet copyright law as it applies to the use of pseudonyms. Just a suggestion. If I recall correctly, there is some protection for anonymous person's who publish on boards like this using pseudonyms. Was Mark Twain an anonymous dork? Just curious....Jersey Girl

I was told by the person using the screen name of Kevin Graham that that is not his real name. I don't know about Rollo.

And, do you seriously think it reasonable to compare Mark Twain with Mr. Scratch?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

wenglund wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:Wow! Well, I have to say that I am flattered that the Good Professor feels that my critique is worth of mention in such a "scholarly" journal as FARMS Review! Check it out:

This seems a little odd to me. You purposely post under a fictional screen name so as to maintain anonymity, and yet you wish to be attributed for what you say under that fictional name? Do the standards for citation cover statements made real people operating under the guise of fictional characters?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I see your point, but I also see Scratch's. It really isn't any different than using a pen name. Authors do it all the time.