DAN VOGEL/SPALDING-RIGDON THREAD OPEN IN THE CELESTIAL FORUM

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Uncle Dale
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Dale »

Miss Taken wrote:
Miss Taken wrote:Shades, are there any active Mormons who can match Uncle Dales knowledge on this???

No.

pity!

If Dr. Lester E. Bush, Jr. is still alive, he would be the most expert LDS on the topic. He was the one who
responded to my 1982 Mormon History Association paper on the topic. From interacting with him then, I can
say that he knew a great deal about the subject -- but was very guarded in talking about it candidly.

Next in line would be Richard L. Anderson. I have seen evidence of his research in out of the way places,
from California to Washington, D. C. I recall once looking over an old ledger book in Cherry Valley, NY,
(where Spalding once lived), and on a page with an entry for Spalding's brother Josiah, was inserted a local
person's business card from about 1960, and on the back was Anderson's name and phone number in Utah.

Anderson is not interested in talking about this subject, despite his years of quiet research. Nor is BYU prof
Kent P. Jackson (who edited and oversaw the research on the last LDS Church publication in the topic).

The LDS second-string scholars would include Matthew B. Brown, Matt Roper and perhaps Matthew J. Tandy.
Scott H. Faulring might also fit in there somewhere -- though I doubt he has much useful knowledge.
Marvin S. Hill once knew a good deal, but I'm pretty sure he has not kept up his earlier interest.

On the amateur level there are Wade England, Jeff Lindsay, Russell Anderson, Robert & Rosemary Brown,
and perhaps Richard Winwood.

None of these Mormons seems ready, willing and able to discuss the many facets of the Spalding-Rigdon
authorship explanation in a reasonable, objective sort of way. Even Bush (who, as I said knows much) was
more interested in bearing his LDS testimony and talking about why NOT to study the topic, than he was
in sifting through the old evidence in dialogue with a non-Mormon.

I have hopes for Matthew J. Tandy --- time will tell.

Dale R. Broadhurst
web-host
SolomonSpalding.com
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Excellent Dale...

Thankyou.
_Uncle Dale
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Dale »

Miss Taken wrote:Excellent Dale...

Thankyou.

Glad to be of service.

Uncle "is kind to small animals; wears clean socks every day; says nice things about juliann; eats his spinach" Dale
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Uncle "is kind to small animals; wears clean socks every day; says nice things about juliann; eats his spinach" Dale

Just fell off my chair laughing at that one.

Just wondering though, who the 'small animals' are, in your scenario:)

Miss "really has a lot of respect for the D'Unk, Now Don't go all bashful, and take a compliment like a man" Taken
_Uncle Dale
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Dale »

Miss Taken wrote:Just wondering though...

As they say down in rural Georgia, "The backdoor to a shotgun shack swings both ways."
Best not to look too closely when latter day sausage is being made.

Uncle "George Orwell would have understood -- consult the 2007 SLC edition of the Newspeak Dictionary" Dale
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Never been to Georgia, but

Best not to look too closely when latter day sausage is being made.

I'll go with that!!!

Miss 'been a long time since I read Animal Farm, 1984, or listened to SLC newspeak' Taken
_Nightingale
_Emeritus

Randy J.

Post by _Nightingale »

I told Randy J. about the discussion you have going. His reply (with his permission):

"I'm not interested in spending time arguing the merits of the Spaulding theory. These days, I usually just point newbies to links where the evidence is detailed. Dale Broadhurst, Jeff Hammel, and Craig Criddle have researched that issue far more than I have. Craig's essay on the subject pretty much lays out the evidence. Whether people accept it or not is their choice. If certain people reject the theory, I see no point in trying to persuade them otherwise."
_Uncle Dale
_Emeritus

Re: Randy J.

Post by _Uncle Dale »

Nightingale wrote:I told Randy J. about the discussion you have going. His reply (with his permission):

"I'm not interested in spending time arguing the merits of the Spaulding theory. These days, I usually just point
newbies to links where the evidence is detailed. Dale Broadhurst, Jeff Hammel, and Craig Criddle have researched
that issue far more than I have. Craig's essay on the subject pretty much lays out the evidence. Whether people
accept it or not is their choice. If certain people reject the theory, I see no point in trying to persuade them otherwise."

I think that Professor Criddle has made a good start on his studies of the Spalding-Rigdon authorship claims. He is one
of several reputable scholars who have taken the subject seriously. I hope that he will one day publish some of his
interesting discoveries (which he has shared with me) so that they can reach a wider audience of interested readers.

Like Mr. Jordan, I do not attempt to argue "theories" with anybody who has a strong LDS testimony -- I will, however,
argue my right to investigate such historical topics, free from interference or assertions that it makes me a bad person.

Here is a URL to some of Criddle's unpublished writing on the topic:
http://mormonstudies.com/criddle/rigdon.htm

Uncle Dale
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I just want to give an enthusiastic "thmubs up" to the discussion that is taking place in the Celestial Forum. The presence of such persons/researchers as Dale, Dan, Tom and Art is producing a wonderful information laden discussion for anyone interested in the topic. Good work, guys!

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Uncle Dale
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Dale »

Jersey Girl wrote:I just want to give an enthusiastic "thmubs up" to the discussion that is taking place in the
Celestial Forum. The presence of such persons/researchers as Dale, Dan, Tom and Art is producing a wonderful
information laden discussion for anyone interested in the topic. Good work, guys!

Jersey Girl

It's kinda strange, having an obscure hobby that suddenly becomes popular. I feel the same way that I
did in college, when I took a trip to San Francisco and saw an art poster shop devoted almost entirely to
Alphone Mucha lithographs, with Steel-Eye Span playing on the loudspeaker.

It was too much for me -- I had to go back to Idaho, where I had the only such poster and record album.

Will Dan Vogel win by a "tko" in the 15th round?
Probably so.

I'm just in it for the fast times, fast company, and fifteen minutes of fame.

UD