For Coggins Concerning the Role of Women: Probably Off Topic

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

For Coggins Concerning the Role of Women: Probably Off Topic

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Coggins (and anyone else who wishes to give their opinions):

After reading your many responses on the "BKP Teased Hair thread" and seeing the many times you mention Feminism and women's roles, I would like to know:

(In your opinion) What is the role of women?

(In your experience) Do you see any difference between LDS women and a non-LDS women?

(In your opinion) Do you think men are superior to women?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Coggins (and anyone else who wishes to give their opinions):

After reading your many responses on the "BKP Teased Hair thread" and seeing the many times you mention Feminism and women's roles, I would like to know:

(In your experience) Do you see any difference between LDS women and a non-LDS women?

a. The roles of woman, following gospel teachings, combined with some of my own philosophical observations (following George Gilder, to some extent), are:

1. As an indispensible earthly and eternal companion in life, love, child rearing, spritual, psychological, and emotional maturity, and in the bringing to pass of the immortality and eternal life of man, that is, men and woman are inextricably linked to each other in the process of exaltation.

2. Woman have the primary, but not sole reposnibility for the raising and nurturing of children. This is an emphasis, not a dichotomy between men and woman.

3. Woman exert an inherant civilizing role on men, both because of their inherant feminine nature and qualities but because of the direct causal link between sexuality and childbirth (and therefore family and posterity). Woman exert a natural domesticating and civilizing effect on men such that many of the inherant male tendencies that would otherwise run amok and turn to social pathology are controlled, channeled, refined, and matured within the context of a role as provider, protector, teacher, and leader of a family.

That being said, woman are here to kick our ass and keep us in line.

b. I do see a difference, and that is in the first instance, faithful LDS woman share with faithful men a knowledge and committment to the gospel and its teachings that makes them, overall, that is, on average, better people, morally, ethically, and in the sense of mature adult attitudes and characteristics, then those who don't'. In other words, they are good Christian people, and moreover, they share with LDS men the same vision of the purpose of life and other things larger and greater then themselves within their own particular cultural or generational bubble. The main thing, however, would be the Gift of the Holy Ghost, which gives them a spiritual insight those not having it lack. This is indispensible and without doubt, pivitol.

c. men are not superior to woman. They are different. Men have certain inherant capcities that, on average, are more pronounced in them than in woman and woman have similar capcities and characteristics less prunounced in men. Men and woman compliment each other in a dynamic and developmental way such that both are necessary to the other to achieve their full potential as human beings and children of God.

Loran:

Alternate leftwing caricature of a typical conservative answer for Harmony, Scratch, and Rollo

a. The role of woman is to be spread eagle on a California King with a Dad's in one hand and a TV remote in the other.

b. Yes, Mormon woman are different than non-Mormon woman. Mormon woman only tattoo themselves in places they can tell their mothers about.

c. Ralph Cramden said it all. "I am the master, you are the slave." (and then Alice said "Here's your can.").
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

a. The roles of woman, following gospel teachings, combined with some of my own philosophical observations (following George Gilder, to some extent), are:

1. As an indispensible earthly and eternal companion in life, love, child rearing, spritual, psychological, and emotional maturity, and in the bringing to pass of the immortality and eternal life of man, that is, men and woman are inextricably linked to each other in the process of exaltation.

2. Woman have the primary, but not sole reposnibility for the raising and nurturing of children. This is an emphasis, not a dichotomy between men and woman.

3. Woman exert an inherant civilizing role on men, both because of their inherant feminine nature and qualities but because of the direct causal link between sexuality and childbirth (and therefore family and posterity). Woman exert a natural domesticating and civilizing effect on men such that many of the inherant male tendencies that would otherwise run amok and turn to social pathology are controlled, channeled, refined, and matured within the context of a role as provider, protector, teacher, and leader of a family.

Ah... women are to be wives and mothers.

b. I do see a difference, and that is in the first instance, faithful LDS woman share with faithful men a knowledge and committment to the gospel and its teachings that makes them, overall, that is, on average, better people, morally, ethically, and in the sense of mature adult attitudes and characteristics, then those who don't'. In other words, they are good Christian people, and moreover, they share with LDS men the same vision of the purpose of life and other things larger and greater then themselves within their own particular cultural or generational bubble. The main thing, however, would be the Gift of the Holy Ghost, which gives them a spiritual insight those not having it lack. This is indispensible and without doubt, pivitol.

Ah, LDS women are different than non-LDS women. In other words, they are better wives and mothers.

c. men are not superior to woman. They are different. Men have certain inherant capcities that, on average, are more pronounced in them than in woman and woman have similar capcities and characteristics less prunounced in men. Men and woman compliment each other in a dynamic and developmental way such that both are necessary to the other to achieve their full potential as human beings and children of God.

Ah, women's full potential being: wives and mothers... and men's full potential being: everything else.

Loran:

Alternate leftwing caricature of a typical conservative answer for Harmony, Scratch, and Rollo

a. The role of woman is to be spread eagle on a California King with a Dad's in one hand and a TV remote in the other.

b. Yes, Mormon woman are different than non-Mormon woman. Mormon woman only tattoo themselves in places they can tell their mothers about.

c. Ralph Cramden said it all. "I am the master, you are the slave." (and then Alice said "Here's your can.").
[/quote]

Typical Loran male bovine excrement. Right on schedule.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

I already handed Loran his butt to him on a silver platter on this same topic, but I can't help but ask him to elaborate on this point:

Coggins7 wrote:Men have certain inherant capcities that, on average, are more pronounced in them than in woman and woman have similar capcities and characteristics less prunounced in men. Men and woman compliment each other in a dynamic and developmental way such that both are necessary to the other to achieve their full potential as human beings and children of God.

Care to explain this Loran? I know you like to deal principally in generalities and high-flown theory (which you seem to have gleaned from a Postmodernist Thought For Dummies-style tract), but do you dare name specifics?
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Mister Scratch wrote:I already handed Loran his butt to him on a silver platter on this same topic, but I can't help but ask him to elaborate on this point:

Coggins7 wrote:Men have certain inherant capcities that, on average, are more pronounced in them than in woman and woman have similar capcities and characteristics less prunounced in men. Men and woman compliment each other in a dynamic and developmental way such that both are necessary to the other to achieve their full potential as human beings and children of God.

Care to explain this Loran? I know you like to deal principally in generalities and high-flown theory (which you seem to have gleaned from a Postmodernist Thought For Dummies-style tract), but do you dare name specifics?

If Loran were asked what the difference is between blacks and whites, he could give the same answer with the conclusions being that:

"Darkies are inherently good at picking cotton while the white race is inherently good at making sure the darkies pick said cotton"

Same reasoning, different situation, clearer results.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

harmony wrote:

Ah, LDS women are different than non-LDS women. In other words, they are better wives and mothers.

Ah, women's full potential being: wives and mothers... and men's full potential being: everything else.

Several things are very apparant here:

1. You did not actually read what I wrote here, or if you did, made no attempt to understand it beyond the processing of it through your narrow leftist ideological purifying system such that whatever I said comes out as what you would like me to have said such that this conforms to your specific ideological template through which you interpret everything anyone says or...you have a serious reading comphehension problem.

2. Your visceral animus against motherhood, the role of wife and nurturer of children, and the commitments and habits of mind and heart associated with family is palpable.

3. Your actual knowledge of the fundamental concepts on LDS doctrine, let alone its nuances, is absolutely marginal. This is why so many people like you are not given any heed by serious Mormons; you're farting in the wind. You have so little idea what you're talking about, and you impose so much of the ideological fantasy material of your own mind upon the claims of the church that you can do nothing by talk past the people you disagree with.

Unless you can ever start thinking for yourself Harmony, you haven't a chance.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

If Loran were asked what the difference is between blacks and whites, he could give the same answer with the conclusions being that:

"Darkies are inherently good at picking cotton while the white race is inherently good at making sure the darkies pick said cotton"

Goodbye Vegas. Typical intellectually vacant, philosophically empty, bomb throwing leftist bigot. Get out of the Kitchen Vegas, while the few of us here who can actually carry on an intelleigent debate do the cooking. The race card is the first refuge of a ideological scoundrel running on philosophical fumes.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Once more, Loran: learn to use the quote button.

harmony wrote:

See what happens when it's used properly? Voila! Boxes!

Several things are very apparant here:

1. You did not actually read what I wrote here, or if you did, made no attempt to understand it beyond the processing of it through your narrow leftist ideological purifying system such that whatever I said comes out as what you would like me to have said such that this conforms to your specific ideological template through which you interpret everything anyone says or...you have a serious reading comphehension problem.

Or you were very clear in your communication that wife and mother is only... ONLY... role that women are to play, ever, in your world. Let us all give thanks that the rest of the world allows us to do a few more things than clean house, wash laundry, cook meals, and play peekabo with our babies.

2. Your visceral animus against motherhood, the role of wife and nurturer of children, and the commitments and habits of mind and heart associated with family is palpable.

Uh huh. I'm the one with 8 kids, and 12 grandkids, remember? Married 35 years. I'm referred to at work as the Bank of Mom. You can't tell me anything I don't already know about motherhood, Loran. You're the wrong gender.

3. Your actual knowledge of the fundamental concepts on LDS doctrine, let alone its nuances, is absolutely marginal. This is why so many people like you are not given any heed by serious Mormons; you're farting in the wind. You have so little idea what you're talking about, and you impose so much of the ideological fantasy material of your own mind upon the claims of the church that you can do nothing by talk past the people you disagree with.

Unless you can ever start thinking for yourself Harmony, you haven't a chance.

What's a serious Mormon, Loran? You? You're a charicature of a serious Mormon. A mere shadow.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Bond: Coggins (and anyone else who wishes to give their opinions):

Coggins7/Loran Answering:

Jersey Girl: With the exception of the concept of exaltation (which I do not subscribe to) I agree with the above comments. I see the descriptions (various life circumstances not withstanding) as the "ideal" relationship between male and female.

Jersey Girl: I agree with this to the extent that so long as it is accepted as generalizing with regards to certain traits that are inherently "female", children benefit most from the ongoing guidance and nurturing of their mother.

Jersey Girl: Again, so long as the above is considered within the framework of generalizing regarding female/male traits, I agree. I would like to see this drawn out into specifics, Loran. What specific male/female attributes are you thinking of?

Jersey Girl: I find myself in complete and utter agreement. ;-)

Jersey Girl: Gonna throw a wrench in here now. In context of LDS belief in practice, I would agree with the above. I also think that mainstream Christian women who are able to conduct themselves in submission to their husbands, are able to create the same type of relationship.

Jersey Girl: I agree with your saying that "they are different". Once more, I'd like to see you name specific attributes/capacities.

Loran:

c. Ralph Cramden said it all. "I am the master, you are the slave." (and then Alice said "Here's your can.").[/b]
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Coggins7 wrote:

Goodbye Vegas. Typical intellectually vacant, philosophically empty, bomb throwing leftist bigot. Get out of the Kitchen Vegas, while the few of us here who can actually carry on an intelleigent debate do the cooking. The race card is the first refuge of a ideological scoundrel running on philosophical fumes.

Yes, because being a misogynist isnt bad enough, is it?

You and your so-called church use the wombs of women to spawn more of your robots so in turn the vicious brainwashing cycle can continue. The stranglehold around the neck of the women in the church makes them powerful defenders of a system that excludes their own voice. This makes me sick, treating women as voiceless reproduction devices.

How dare you in one breath state that racism is deplorable and the next spew hate and venom regarding those who do not facilitate the churchs death grip on the voice of women? Bishops control the young women, embedding fear and false expectations, convincing rape victims that they alone are reponsible for their violation and instilling the belief that being suzy homemaker is the pinnacle of goals. You make me sick.

You give no voice to women in your church, as they are relegated to ancillary roles as mothers and sexual gratification meat dolls, to be tossed around and told to submit and make babies.

Indeed, you are the epitome of hate and biogotry towards Fifty percent of the human race. How the hell do you justify mormonisms patent misogynistic behavior
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning