Anger - What is it?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Ray A

Anger - What is it?

Post by _Ray A »

Is it at the church, or the way you've been treated by Mormons?

I think some anger is legitimate, but I'd like to know what makes you angry.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: Anger - What is it?

Post by _Mercury »

Ray A wrote:Is it at the church, or the way you've been treated by Mormons?

I think some anger is legitimate, but I'd like to know what makes you angry.

My thesis against the church goes like this:

The two things that I hate most are Abuse of Power and Establishment of False Power.

These two major issues are at the heart of my personal vendetta against the Mormon church. Who knows what other evils lurk within the oligarchical power structure of the Deseret Serfdom.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Strangely enough, the anger I feel is against my self-righteous Catholic relatives who have condemned me. This is where I think religion brings out the worst prejudices. But I suppose if they were Mormon I'd feel the same way.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

I really have no anger against the church, per se. But the judgement from my family and other Mormons used to get me really angry. I'm pretty much over that, as well. At least, I think so. However, it can flare up when my father sends the latest Boyd Packer speech in a letter. But, it subsides again quite rapidly.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Maxrep
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxrep »

The greatest asset the church has are its members. By and large, they are quality people. A curious thing happens though with LDS who are connected by family ties or in tight knit communities. It seems that they reserve their most harsh criticism and righteous anger for former members or current members who can no longer profess a testimony of the restoration. These uncharitable judgements can isolate individuals and wreck bonds within families.

If I feel any anger, it is towards a community that you are born into that can so easily displace an individual for lack of a belief.
_mentalgymnast

Post by _mentalgymnast »

hi Maxrep. you said:
The greatest asset the church has are its members. By and large, they are quality people. A curious thing happens though with LDS who are connected by family ties or in tight knit communities. It seems that they reserve their most harsh criticism and righteous anger for former members or current members who can no longer profess a testimony of the restoration. These uncharitable judgements can isolate individuals and wreck bonds within families.

If I feel any anger, it is towards a community that you are born into that can so easily displace an individual for lack of a belief.

MG: I agree with you. I have two brothers and a father that have left the church either physically or mentally/spiritually. If I start judging them uncharitably, I'm going to lose some family members that I'd just as well keep my associations with. We can find other things to talk about and do besides attend church together.

Regards,
MG
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

mentalgymnast wrote:hi Maxrep. you said:

MG: I agree with you. I have two brothers and a father that have left the church either physically or mentally/spiritually. If I start judging them uncharitably, I'm going to lose some family members that I'd just as well keep my associations with. We can find other things to talk about and do besides attend church together.

Regards,
MG

Leaving Mormonism is like leaving ones culture behind:
Like if you were to move outside of the United States, only you are unable to function outside of ones culture. Your stumbling around, looking at signs trying to determine how to get to your home but have no idea to determione where you are. Americans who are Mormon do not grow up as American Mormons, they grow up as Mormons who live in America.

The cultural displacement is a violent event, bent on weaning oneself away from Mormonism. To do so one must reject the previous cultural attitudes. This is similar to the americanization of foreigners, when they adopt the customs of american marriage ceremonies, holidays, Religious adoption and adoption of a new philosophical belief. Cultural adoption is diaspora in nature. it feeds on other cultures because it is apart of us.

But we are not a blank slate. Nature Vs Nurture dictate that both nature AND nurture are jujst as important. Two sides to the same coin. No matter how many times the nature Vs nurture coin is flipped, its still a coin but showing two different reflections of the same scenario. This is behavioral Psychology - two states and their results is the basis of the model. This convergence of what is collectively known as Reality (sanity) covers the Social model.

We are social beings. Without social interaction we are worthless. Mormonism is a method for social interaction at the BASEST of levels. Its unsophisticated, boorish religion cleaned up with a fire hose.

This is why I am angry, just as a rape victim would be angry at their attacker.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I wont go to church, I wont , I wont, I wont !!!
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Hey Ray,

Personally I'm not angry at the church. The church is an inanimate object to me. The church body however, can make mea bit uneasy. I'm not currently angry, but I do get angry at any intstitution that seeks to tell its followers that God is a conditional-love based God. That is simply not true. Which is why I stay away from many churches, and many people who claim to be on a spiritual path. But that's just me.

But what is anger? Just another facet of fear, I think. I was angry with the church org when I was most afraid of it and what its influence meant for my life. But since I'm free of that, I have nothing to be angry about.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

For Gaz, Plutarch, Cog, etc...all those here who just don't get it, and cannot carry on a simple conversation due to their personal distortions....

Damnit, they erased the link...brb.

*sigh*

Here it is...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0h0z6vkcY10
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi