Is the Book of Mormon Altered?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Jason

Post by _Gazelam »

It's a fair claim to make that anyone reading the Book of Mormon isnt going to mistake Mary as being the Mother of the Father as opposed to the Mother of the Son. It is also fair to say that everyone agrees that Jesus is God, all of the prophets have testified of it.

In regards to the Lectures on Faith, the Doctrine and Covenants contains for the most part revelations. The Lectures were not revelations but lessons. The lessons have always been a part of the church library, and have been available to anyone who wants them since they were first written. Also the Holy Ghost is clearly spoken of as a member of the Godhead and of being of the same mind as trhe Father ansd the Son.

Your also changeing the subject. This thread is about the Book of Mormon. Please stay on topic. And while on the subject of the Holy GHost, please notice that the Holy Ghost makes a personal appearance as a Man in the Book of Mormon in 1 Nephi 11:11, which predates the Lectures and constitutes the only personal appearance of the Holy Ghost in all of scripture.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

I was always told that it was a distinct teaching with Mormonism, and i was always taught specificaly as well, that god and jesus where complete and seperate entities containing their own bodies and personages. As one such example, look at "the first vision" story. To me, such distinctions are important for understanding what the churches stance is concerning humanities relation to god. If jesus is god, rather than the son of god, that disctinction tells me something completely seperate than what i was taught in all my church going years. And would then likewise be in line with a trinity style of teaching (such as is taught within catholocism) that they are not just one in purpose, but one in being/personage/body.

I am unaware of any teaching/prophetic announcement, claiming that they are singular in being. (ill grant you that originaly Joseph Smith originaly taught such a thing, but later changed his tune) It also would change the meaning of quite a few times when jesus is attempting to reach god in prayer.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Jason

Post by _Jason Bourne »

It's a fair claim to make that anyone reading the Book of Mormon isnt going to mistake Mary as being the Mother of the Father as opposed to the Mother of the Son. It is also fair to say that everyone agrees that Jesus is God, all of the prophets have testified of it.

Mother of God support at more traditional trinitarian understanding of the Godhead. It was changed to Son of God to support the later ideas that Joseph introduced about God and the Son.

In regards to the Lectures on Faith, the Doctrine and Covenants contains for the most part revelations. The Lectures were not revelations but lessons. The lessons have always been a part of the church library, and have been available to anyone who wants them since they were first written. Also the Holy Ghost is clearly spoken of as a member of the Godhead and of being of the same mind as trhe Father ansd the Son.

The Lectures were the doctrine of the doctrine and covenants, and the revelations the covenants. You are simple parroting what was printed in the D&C when they were de-canonized. I pointed out above why they were not simply lessons but again you just ignored and and parroted the party line. The Lectures were canon, period and accepted as such. Why were they removed Gaz? Deal with my points man. Oh, and Lecture five is binatarian and the Holy Ghost is not deleneated seperatly.

Your also changeing the subject. This thread is about the Book of Mormon. Please stay on topic. And while on the subject of the Holy GHost, please notice that the Holy Ghost makes a personal appearance as a Man in the Book of Mormon in 1 Nephi 11:11, which predates the Lectures and constitutes the only personal appearance of the Holy Ghost in all of scripture

I said there were other changes and we could start another thread. You said bring them up here. I did so. Now you are not happy about it?