USAToday: "Will Mormon Faith Hurt [Mitt]?"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

USAToday: "Will Mormon Faith Hurt [Mitt]?"

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

See link below for article on today's front page of USA Today. A couple of quotes I found interesting in the article:

Romney responds more generally when asked if he has participated in an endowment ceremony, in which men and women take vows of secrecy about temple rites and of obedience to the Lord, and begin the daily practice of wearing a sacred "temple garment" resembling abbreviated long underwear.

"I do attend the temple of my church . . . and people can learn about that by contacting the church," he says, adding: "I'm sure on the Internet you can find every single aspect of what's entailed."

I can't imagine the Brethren want folks to follow Mitt's advice and search the Internet for "every single aspect of what's entailed" in the temple ceremonies.

Here's another one:

Chapel services are open, but temples and worship ceremonies, including weddings, are closed to non-Mormons. The Romneys were married in a civil ceremony attended by Ann's parents and hundreds of guests, followed by a small temple ceremony for Mormons only.

Today, Mitt and Ann would have to wait one year to marry in the temple. I guess the rules were different in 1969. ;)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... over_x.htm
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Re: USAToday: "Will Mormon Faith Hurt [Mitt]?"

Post by _The Dude »

Somebody needs to put this in their signature line over on MAD. Mine is full. :(

"I do attend the temple of my church . . . and people can learn about that by contacting the church," he says, adding: "I'm sure on the Internet you can find every single aspect of what's entailed." -- Mitt Romney in USA TODAY
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

The Dude wrote:...signature line over on MAD. Mine is full. :(

Just curious, are you an ordained Dudeist Priest? (ha, that rhymes with judas priest).

WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

done!
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Who Knows wrote:
The Dude wrote:...signature line over on MAD. Mine is full. :(

Just curious, are you an ordained Dudeist Priest?

No, I don't believe in ordinations. I do however participate in the rituals of my church and partake of its chemical sacraments. I'm sure on the Internet you can find every single aspect of what's entailed.

Church of the Latter-Day Dude
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Will Mormon Faith Hurt [Mitt]?

Post by _asbestosman »

Most likely Mormonism will hurt Mitt's chances. I just got my hands on Dawkins' The God Delusion (Thanks Dude--or keep your copy if you havn't returned it). In the Preface on page 4, Dawkins states that a Gallup poll in 1999 showed whether Americans would vote for an otherwise well-qualified person in several categories:

woman (95%)
Roman Catholic (94%)
Jew (92%)
black (92%)
Mormon (79%)
Homosexual (79%)
Atheist (49%)

Then again, things could have changed quite a bit after 8 years.

He probably should have left his comment at saying that one should contact the church. Oh well, politicians often say less-than-optimal things. That's one reason many beat around the bush.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

The Dude wrote:I do ... partake of its chemical sacraments.

Oh Dude, we ask thee to bless and sanctify this ganja, to the souls of all those who smoke it...

I like it.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_TAK
_Emeritus

Post by _TAK »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:See link below for article on today's front page of USA Today. A couple of quotes I found interesting in the article:

Here's another one:

Chapel services are open, but temples and worship ceremonies, including weddings, are closed to non-Mormons. The Romneys were married in a civil ceremony attended by Ann's parents and hundreds of guests, followed by a small temple ceremony for Mormons only.

Today, Mitt and Ann would have to wait one year to marry in the temple. I guess the rules were different in 1969. ;)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... over_x.htm

I rather imagine having Marion G Romney as a relative - I believe his dad and MGR were cousins.. might have helped in that regard..
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Will looking like Bruce Campbell help Mitt?

_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

All hail "The Chin".