USAToday: "Will Mormon Faith Hurt [Mitt]?"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: USAToday: "Will Mormon Faith Hurt [Mitt]?"

Post by _Jason Bourne »

See link below for article on today's front page of USA Today. A couple of quotes I found interesting in the article:

Romney responds more generally when asked if he has participated in an endowment ceremony, in which men and women take vows of secrecy about temple rites and of obedience to the Lord, and begin the daily practice of wearing a sacred "temple garment" resembling abbreviated long underwear.

"I do attend the temple of my church … and people can learn about that by contacting the church," he says, adding: "I'm sure on the Internet you can find every single aspect of what's entailed."

I can't imagine the Brethren want folks to follow Mitt's advice and search the Internet for "every single aspect of what's entailed" in the temple ceremonies.

Well he is correct that every single aspect can be found on the internet. Next, Romney did not advise them to go on the internet he just said it is most likely available. Maybe Mitt is not that worried about what the brethren think. If you appose Mitt do you oppose him because he is Mormon or becuase you do not like his politics.

Here's another one:

Chapel services are open, but temples and worship ceremonies, including weddings, are closed to non-Mormons. The Romneys were married in a civil ceremony attended by Ann's parents and hundreds of guests, followed by a small temple ceremony for Mormons only.

Today, Mitt and Ann would have to wait one year to marry in the temple. I guess the rules were different in 1969. ;)

Now that is interesting. I wonder if the rules were different or if the rules were bent.
Last edited by Lem on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hmmmm...

I wonder when they first implemented this change where one had to wait a year to go through the temple if there was a civil ceremony.

Anyone know?

~dancer~
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Jason Bourne wrote:If you appose Mitt do you oppose him because he is Mormon or becuase you do not like his politics.

I don't like his politics. I would rather vote for Orrin Hatch.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Will Mormon Faith Hurt [Mitt]?

Post by _Jason Bourne »

asbestosman wrote:Most likely Mormonism will hurt Mitt's chances. I just got my hands on Dawkins' The God Delusion (Thanks Dude--or keep your copy if you havn't returned it). In the Preface on page 4, Dawkins states that a Gallup poll in 1999 showed whether Americans would vote for an otherwise well-qualified person in several categories:

woman (95%)
Roman Catholic (94%)
Jew (92%)
black (92%)
Mormon (79%)
Homosexual (79%)
Atheist (49%)

Then again, things could have changed quite a bit after 8 years.

He probably should have left his comment at saying that one should contact the church. Oh well, politicians often say less-than-optimal things. That's one reason many beat around the bush.

42% of Americans say they would never vote for Hillary Clinton. So Mitt's has better odds then she does.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

The Dude wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:If you appose Mitt do you oppose him because he is Mormon or becuase you do not like his politics.

I don't like his politics. I would rather vote for Orrin Hatch.

That's cool. I am ok if you do not like his politics.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Jason Bourne wrote:42% of Americans say they would never vote for Hillary Clinton. So Mitt's has better odds then she does.

That's only 'cause Hillary has already served two terms as president. ;o)
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

asbestosman wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:42% of Americans say they would never vote for Hillary Clinton. So Mitt's has better odds then she does.

That's only 'cause Hillary has already served two terms as president. ;o)

That is pretty funny!
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

From the article:

Romney says it is not his job as a presidential candidate to educate people about his church. "I'm running for a secular position," he said in an interview. "I subscribe to what Abraham Lincoln called America's political religion. The Constitution and the rule of law are the highest promises I would make in taking the oath of office."

So there you have it Rollo. Your answer. The oath of office will, as president, trump his temple oaths. Straight from the mans mouth. Seems he ha answered your concern.

Did you miss this in the article?
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Mitt is a flip-flopper.

At least, all the republicans who called Kerry a flip-flopper are going to be exposed as hypocrites if they don't call Mitt one too.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com