USAToday: "Will Mormon Faith Hurt [Mitt]?"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Mitty's got a lot of people to convince to vote for him....I don't think even hard core Mormons want a Mormon for president then EVERYTHING will become PUBLIC knowledge and I mean every ,weird, strange, icky, gross, crazy, scary, wacky belief will come out even the private temple ceromonies and that fact that the books are not public...how many Mormons will want to become accountable and give up their charge cards ????? And expensive lifestyle that is paid for from other people's 10% tithe? No more malls either....

Mormons are basically free to screw over anyone right now and they have power why would they want to give all of that up ????????????? Beats me.
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Mitt is a flip-flopper.

At least, all the republicans who called Kerry a flip-flopper are going to be exposed as hypocrites if they don't call Mitt one too.

Most already have, if you follow the conservatie intellectual movement on the Web, in print, or within the conservative blosgosphere.

Keryy's problem was not that he was a flip flopper (which he was), but a man who had fabricated much of his history durning his short year as a Swifty, and then come back to America and while still a member of the American armed forces, conspired with our enemy for the capitualtion of his country and the surrender of South Vietnam, and was a major figue in the Winter Soldier Investigtatin, in which he, almost single handedly created most of the myths and lies about Vietnam and the conduct of American troops in that conflict that have irrevocably set themleves like concrete into Amarican consciousness and been the backbone of every other fable about the war and the typical Vietnam vet that has been magnified and promulgated by the media and Hollywood ever since.

John Kerry was a member of the hardcore anti-American Left of his era and a traitor to his country in war time, and for part of that time he was still a member of its military.

One can at least give Kerry some face for walking out of a VVAW meeting in which his comrades in the anti-war movement were planning the assassinaiton of Senators and Congressmen who supported it.

Mitt's problem is more akin to Al Gore's, whoi was a staunch pro-life Democrat until 1988 when he began to have serious Presidential ambitions. He quickly dropped his previous stance and became unabashedly pro-conveinence abortion. Mitt has the same problem with Gay marriage and Abortion. Wherever you are on those issues, there is a question about Mitt's committmnet to principle over persona political ambition.

Loran
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

beastie wrote:Mitt is a flip-flopper.

At least, all the republicans who called Kerry a flip-flopper are going to be exposed as hypocrites if they don't call Mitt one too.

They will fail to see th irony, but if Mitt were a Democrat, they would have launched a very expensive attack based on these flip-flops already. Plus they would have lambasted Mitt for his use of four letter words while he briefly worked on a traffic jam during the 2002 Olympics. Good thing Mitt is a Republican.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Mitt is a flip-flopper.

Why? Because he modified his views on abortion? Can't a person evolve in a view?

At least, all the republicans who called Kerry a flip-flopper are going to be exposed as hypocrites if they don't call Mitt one too

Perhaps
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Jason Bourne wrote:From the article:

Romney says it is not his job as a presidential candidate to educate people about his church. "I'm running for a secular position," he said in an interview. "I subscribe to what Abraham Lincoln called America's political religion. The Constitution and the rule of law are the highest promises I would make in taking the oath of office."

So there you have it Rollo. Your answer. The oath of office will, as president, trump his temple oaths. Straight from the mans mouth. Seems he ha answered your concern.

Did you miss this in the article?

No. He has said that before, and I quoted it in a prior thread on this bb about Mitt. He's correct that the constitutional oath is the "highest promise" he can make "in taking the oath of office," but that's not really the issue. He still has that prior temple oath (which he did not take with respect to his presidential office), but which would trump any other oath (including the presidential one). At the very least, his comments make it even more imperative that he disclose his prior temple oath so the electorate can decide.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

I can't see how being a Mormon would help Mitty in anyway.

Now that Rudy has for sure said he is running he will blow Mitty out of the water because Ruddy is a left thinking right winger's dream canditate...Rudy can appeal to both sides and even to the middle. Common ground is what people want now and what they want in the next president. Ruddy I think could have thay quality....Mitty is a long way off....

So yes Rollo Being a Mormon is going to hurt Mitty boy very much......Just give the press time to start picking Mitty boys religion open like the vultures they are.....Ruddy's life is an open book anyway so......
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Mitty's got a lot of people to convince to vote for him....I

Sure, like every other candidate.

don't think even hard core Mormons want a Mormon for president then EVERYTHING will become PUBLIC knowledge and I mean every ,weird, strange, icky, gross, crazy, scary, wacky belief will come out even the private temple ceromonies

You are certainly wrong and LDS are really not to worried about it. I have not heard on LDS person exclaim dismay that some alleged starnge unseemly teaching of the LDS Church will now be made public. Most LDS are quite ok with what they believe.

and that fact that the books are not public...how many Mormons will want to become accountable and give up their charge cards ????? And expensive lifestyle that is paid for from other people's 10% tithe? No more malls either....

You do not have a clue what you are saying.

Mormons are basically free to screw over anyone right now and they have power why would they want to give all of that up ????????????? Beats me

You really cannot be this dumb. Are you pretending?
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:From the article:

Romney says it is not his job as a presidential candidate to educate people about his church. "I'm running for a secular position," he said in an interview. "I subscribe to what Abraham Lincoln called America's political religion. The Constitution and the rule of law are the highest promises I would make in taking the oath of office."

So there you have it Rollo. Your answer. The oath of office will, as president, trump his temple oaths. Straight from the mans mouth. Seems he ha answered your concern.

Did you miss this in the article?

No. He has said that before, and I quoted it in a prior thread on this bb about Mitt. He's correct that the constitutional oath is the "highest promise" he can make "in taking the oath of office," but that's not really the issue. He still has that prior temple oath (which he did not take with respect to his presidential office), but which would trump any other oath (including the presidential one). At the very least, his comments make it even more imperative that he disclose his prior temple oath so the electorate can decide.

He says the oath would be his HIGHEST PROMISE. You should be satisfied with that.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

OUT OF MY MISERY wrote:I can't see how being a Mormon would help Mitty in anyway.

Now that Rudy has for sure said he is running he will blow Mitty out of the water because Ruddy is a left thinking right winger's dream canditate...Rudy can appeal to both sides and even to the middle. Common ground is what people want now and what they want in the next president. Ruddy I think could have thay quality....Mitty is a long way off....

So yes Rollo Being a Mormon is going to hurt Mitty boy very much......Just give the press time to start picking Mitty boys religion open like the vultures they are.....Ruddy's life is an open book anyway so......

Rudy's biggest problems are going to be with the concervative base. The Fundie EVs may not like a Mormon, but they will not like the pro gay pro abortion rather liberal North East republican.

But we will see. I like Rudy for the most part.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

If Mitty becomes President the books are then public they become open to scrunity Right???
I know MANY people that would call for the books to become PUBLIC RECORD so ARE you that DUMB Jason????
YEAH .........

You Jason must not have one of those charge cards or live one of those lifestyles that is paid for from tithe because you are not a hard CORE Mormon that would LOSE more than you would gain if MITTY became President...I know you are not living in UTAH right now....And you do not know a thing about politics that much is obivious....Watch HARDBALL with Chris Matthews.. Tim Matthews. Tucker Carlson....all of these are on CNBC...no not Watch FOX....FOX is misleading and does not give a balanced view of the world of politics.....I love politics I know politics. So does Rollo, and so does Beastie....

Remember I do not like when MEN call me dumb...Wellllll I am Dumb like a FOX if you understand that you will understand that I am not DUMB.............FAR FAR FROM DUMB, but you are slowly sliding closer towards dumb with your posts dear man.....Then again you keep on posting and I will be DUMB LIKE A FOX........LOVE YA