God delusion and the future of humankind....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Who Knows wrote:Are you being obtuse on purpose? ;)

When does your 'I doubt god is going to change his mind' turn to 'looks like it ain't gonna happen'? 100 years? 500 years? 1,000 years? Never?

From my perspective as informed by the scriptures: Never.

However, I would be genuinely surprised if I live to be 70 and it hasn't happened yet. Heck, I'd be geniunely surprised to live to be 50.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Who Knows wrote:
asbestosman wrote:...and there are some crazy world leaders (N. Korea) that aren't afraid to use them.

Why do you say that? How do you know he's not afraid to use them? Has he ever used them? In fact, I think the US is the only country who's ever used something similar...

I hope you're right, but I'm afraid even if you are that there will be someone else who isn't . . . perhaps even the US.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

asbestosman wrote:
Who Knows wrote:Are you being obtuse on purpose? ;)

When does your 'I doubt god is going to change his mind' turn to 'looks like it ain't gonna happen'? 100 years? 500 years? 1,000 years? Never?

From my perspective as informed by the scriptures: Never.

However, I would be genuinely surprised if I live to be 70 and it hasn't happened yet. Heck, I'd be geniunely surprised to live to be 50.

Ok, so 'never' is your answer. Got it.

I find that illogical, but ok.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Who Knows wrote:Ok, so 'never' is your answer. Got it.

Why? As long as people are still alive, there's still time for it to happen.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

asbestosman wrote:
Who Knows wrote:Ok, so 'never' is your answer. Got it.

Why? As long as people are still alive, there's still time for it to happen.

So, if 5,000 years from now, there still hasn't been a second coming, you don't find any problem with that? Doesn't that directly contradict what the 'latter-day' prophets have been telling us?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Who Knows wrote:So, if 5,000 years from now, there still hasn't been a second coming, you don't find any problem with that? Doesn't that directly contradict what the 'latter-day' prophets have been telling us?

I would have placed a limit at 1000 years myself except that I'm not so certain about the 1,000 years thing. Yes, I know where to find the 7000 years of the earth's temporal existence in D&C 77, but I sometimes wonder precisely what that means, especially if people are right about Australian aboriginies having lived there for some 30,000 years. If one can reconcile that, I suppose one could likewise reconcile the idea of the Second Coming not happening within 1,000 years.

Now I like hypotheticals. Let's say I was in a time machine and was taken 1000 years into the future (maybe I traveled at near the speed of light for that long before returning to earth). Let's say I discover that the Millenium hadn't happed yet. I would then indeed consider that to weigh against what I had been taught and even believe about the church, but it wouldn't be sufficient for me to reject the Savior.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Re: God delusion and the future of humankind....

Post by _wenglund »

truth dancer wrote:I'm wondering what humankind, when they look back on us in a few thousand years, will think we are doing today that is completely immoral, unethical, and cruel. ~dancer~

I was listening to Dennis Prager last night, and he thought that with the advancements we have experienced in food science, he believes it is quite conceivable that in the not-too-distant-future, leading nations/cultures, if not the world in general, may become entirely vegitarian. If so, then those in generations to come may look back on our killing animals for food as immoral and dusgusting. There are people in this day and age that view it in that way. I don't happen to be among them. I have many pictures where I am cooking and eating at BBQ's and out on hunting trips (though I never carry a gun or shot the animals with anything other than my camera). Since many of the latter-day prophets have likely been meat eaters (Joseph F. Smith may be the exception--I understand he and his son-in-law Bruce R. McKonkie, were vegetarian.), that may give cause for some future members to loose faith. ;-)

Thanks, -Wade Enlgund-
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: God delusion and the future of humankind....

Post by _asbestosman »

wenglund wrote:Since many of the latter-day prophets have likely been meat eaters (Joseph F. Smith may be the exception--I understand he and his son-in-law Bruce R. McKonkie, were vegetarian.), that may give cause for some future members to loose faith. ;-)

Especially since Jesus ate fish too ;-)
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Wade...

I was listening to Dennis Prager last night, and he thought that with the advancements we have experienced in food science, he believes it is quite conceivable that in the not-too-distant-future, leading nations/cultures, if not the world in general, may become entirely vegitarian. If so, then those in generations to come may look back on our killing animals for food as immoral and dusgusting. There are people in this day and age that view it in that way. I don't happen to be among them. I have many pictures where I am cooking and eating at BBQ's and out on hunting trips (though I never carry a gun or shot the animals with anything other than my camera). Since many of the latter-day prophets have likely been meat eaters (Joseph F. Smith may be the exception--I understand he and his son-in-law Bruce R. McKonkie, were vegetarian.), that may give cause for some future members to loose faith. ;-)

I feel quite certain this will indeed be the case. As we look over history, we see a general (albeit gradual) move toward caring more for animals. In developed nations, we shrink from eating monkeys, dolphins, dogs, cats, horses, the family parrot and numerous other animals.

We become outraged at things like animals sacrifice or torture... more and more it seems humans are developing a compassion toward non-human life.

I feel pretty sure this trend will continue as it has over the past many millennia.

I just really think the care and compassion of humans is expanding... very slowly but expanding nonetheless!

:-)

~dancer~

Asbestos Man... what does Jesus eating fish have to do with humankind moving toward more care and compassion for the world's creatures?
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

truth dancer wrote:Asbestos Man... what does Jesus eating fish have to do with humankind moving toward more care and compassion for the world's creatures?

It supports the Christian opposite of your contention that humanity will look on our eating of meat as barbaric.

I agree with you that the time will come when we will no longer eat animals, but I disagree with you that the reason is because eating animals is somehow repugnant. As far as I'm concerned, if Jesus ate fish there's nothing inherently wrong with it.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO