Parable of ten virgins, bridegroom, & polygamy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Seven
_Emeritus

Parable of ten virgins, bridegroom, & polygamy

Post by _Seven »

I am curious what the Catholic church teaches about this parable in particular. I have learned that nuns wear rings to symbolize their marriage to Jesus.

I am aware of the Mormon teachings of this parable, in which Prophets use these scriptures as evidence that Jesus Christ was a polygamist, but would like to know how other Faiths interpret this passage.

Matt. 25: 1, 5-6, 10
1 aThen shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
• • •
5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
• • •
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were aready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Last edited by Shadrak on Mon May 05, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Re: Parable of ten virgins, bridegroom, & polygamy

Post by _richardMdBorn »

Seven wrote:I am curious as to what the Catholic church teaches about this parable in particular. I have learned that nuns wear rings to symbolize their marriage to Jesus, which some LDS I debated with have taken to infer that Catholics believe in polygamy but not in a sexual way. I was told that Catholics believe the nuns will be married to Jesus in heaven.

I am aware of the Mormon teachings of this parable, in which Prophets use these scriptures to claim Jesus Christ was a polygamist, but would like to know how other Faiths interpret this passage. I had never interpreted it to infer anything about polygamy until reading the LDS teachings from Brigham's day.

Matt. 25: 1, 5-6, 10
1 aThen shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
• • •
5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
• • •
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were aready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

Any thoughts or information on this?
Evangelicals generally interpret this as being always ready for the Second Coming of Christ. The church is referred to as the bride of Christ. The church is comprised of both men and women. We're not talking about open marriage here! It's a continuation of the teaching in Mat. 24 about the return of Christ.